SR22 Vibration

I have my own heated hangar but you do need to let it warm up longer. I used the 80 plus which I think is a 50 weight. The only thing I can think is the oil is thicker and may just give it a little more cushion? I would sure give it a try if you are using 15/50. Oil change is pretty cheap.

Bill,

I suspect there was a bit (!) of valve or lifter body sticking and/or not pumping up.

I donā€™t doubt your experience at all.

I suspect the data will support it.

R

J

80 is

1 Like

100 is 50

Been meaning to post on this topic as follow up for a bit. So i did try changing out to straight weight 80W to give it a shot. Got nothing to loseā€¦over the memorial day weekend I took the family down to Florida for the weekend and first chance to fly the plane on the new oil. Honestly, I can say it did reduce the amount of vibes I have noticeably and it did seem to start up easier. Especially during a hot start after stopping for gas. At first I was thinking if it was just me and in my mind thinking it felt smoother. It wasnā€™t until 2 hours into the flight when the wife, from the back seat with the baby, chimes in asking me how come the plane feels a bit smoother in flight. So Iā€™ll stick with the 80 weight for the time being and send out some oil samples to make sure everything is still good inside. I do however thing I have other reasons for the vibe. For the time being I can cross this item off the troubleshooting list.

I have a 2003 Cirrus SR22. I loved everything about my Cirrus except for the vibration which I felt was excessive. My concerns were the vibration impact on avionics, wiring, screws backing out from vibration (which happened), and overall comfort. In December 2022 I did the engine mount upgrade from the four point mount to the six point mount. After doing the upgrade, I notice a big difference and in my opinion it is well worth it. As far as cost goes, I was able to do the whole thing for under $9K including the mount assembly frame, all the parts in the kit from the service bulletin and installation. I sourced the mount assembly frame from a salvaged SR22 (from BAS Part Sales, transparent and easy to work with), sent the assembly frame to AWI-AMI Welding for inspection & NDT (Came back looking and good as brand new), I bought all the parts from the service bulletin (TC Air Parts, very helpful and Cirrus Parts Distributor), then I had my local Cirrus Service Center install it (Kim Davidson Aviation, great people). My suggestion for anyone looking to do the upgrade for less than buying the full kit from Cirrus which is $17K+, try to source an assembly frame like I did. It will save you big dollars. Blue Skies!

2 Likes