Vibrations problems...nearly solved

Vibrations problems…nearly solved.

A few weeks ago, my SR22 developed a vibration. Working with Cirrus and TCM, we determined it was likely the engine driven fuel pump. It took TCM a week to get us a new one, but it seems to have solved most of the problem. In addition, I had always had to keep the boost pump on when taxing to prevent the engine from cutting off. I also had to keep the engine RPM up above 800 after landing, with the boost pump on after landing. The new pump and set-up by Miller Aviation in Hollywood (HWO) fixed that problem also. No more boost required on the ground and the engine was set up to idle at 750RPM.

One thing I noticed right off was the new pump is very quiet compared to the old one(38 hours). In fact, when I turned it on for the first time, I thought it was not working. I had to take off my headset to hear it. IÂ’m not sure what this means, but you may want to think about this if you have had the same problem.

I do have some vibration left, but we think that could be the prop. I going to have it dynamically balanced and will let you know what happens.

Cirrus has been very responsive regarding this problem, but TCM was slow getting it together. I called the president of TCM, but he was out of town. I related my problem to his secretary, and she was VERY helpful. Go to the top if you have a problem with TCM. DonÂ’t screw around.

Denis SR22,#26 and 40 hours. GREAT AIRPLANE!!!

A week’s wait would be bad news if you were away from home.

A few weeks ago, my SR22 developed a vibration. Working with Cirrus and TCM, we determined it was likely the engine driven fuel pump. It took TCM a week to get us a new one, but it seems to have solved most of the problem. In addition, I had always had to keep the boost pump on when taxing to prevent the engine from cutting off. I also had to keep the engine RPM up above 800 after landing, with the boost pump on after landing. The new pump and set-up by Miller Aviation in Hollywood (HWO) fixed that problem also. No more boost required on the ground and the engine was set up to idle at 750RPM.

One thing I noticed right off was the new pump is very quiet compared to the old one(38 hours). In fact, when I turned it on for the first time, I thought it was not working. I had to take off my headset to hear it. IÂ’m not sure what this means, but you may want to think about this if you have had the same problem.

I do have some vibration left, but we think that could be the prop. I going to have it dynamically balanced and will let you know what happens.

Cirrus has been very responsive regarding this problem, but TCM was slow getting it together. I called the president of TCM, but he was out of town. I related my problem to his secretary, and she was VERY helpful. Go to the top if you have a problem with TCM. DonÂ’t screw around.

Denis,

Could you please clarify which fuel pump you had to replace? You said the engine driven fuel pump was replaced. But you also talk about specifically turning it [presumably fuel pump] on, and how quiet it was, both of which sound like you might be talking about the electric boost pump?

In any case, thanks for keeping us updated!

Steve

Denis,

Could you please clarify which fuel pump you had to replace? You said the engine driven fuel pump was replaced. But you also talk about specifically turning it [presumably fuel pump] on, and how quiet it was, both of which sound like you might be talking about the electric boost pump?

In any case, thanks for keeping us updated!

Steve

Steve, Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the Engine fuel pump pump was replaced, but now the Boost pump is MUCH quieter. I must assume that the boost pump was/is somehow effected by some type of backpressurre from the engine driven, but I do not have a fuel plumbing layout to fully understand this. I’ll ask around and see if I can come up with an answer. I am assuming that the fuel for the engine driven pump comes from the boost pump, or at least passes through it. Hopefully, someone else who understands the flow can jump in here and tell us. Their is clearly a big difference in noise level in the boost pump, especially when it is in “Prime” mode. I doubt I lost so much hearing in 2 weeks, although I I’m not getting any younger.

Denis