Considering an SR22

Hello COPA,
I’ve spent a few hours on these boards and am impressed by your group. The Cirrus folks have made a remarkable plane, and it seems like the owners of them are enthusiastic and interested in helping each other out. This is great to see.

I have a 2000 C-182, about 400 hrs, instrument rating, lots of XC in the western US. I’m looking at an SR-22 or a SaratogaTC. I am curious for any pointers or squaks to watch out for. Specifically:
-have any of you had composite weakness problems? squishiness around the pitot tube or OAT probe? spiderwebs?
-does the SR22 have “excess vibration” in cruise. in my 2 Cirrus demo flights, I didn’t notice it, but have heard it from folks selling against CIrrus, so i figured I’d ask you guys, who have likely logged thousands of hrs XC
-what is the deal with those doors . . .both of the CD’s in the local flight club have doors that dont work. have they fixed this?
-i am onl 5’10" but noticed that my knees are snug against the lower part of the panel due to the design of the rising seat track . . .how does this work for you guys?
any other thoughts? I am really taken by the SR22. The situational awareness is really outstanding. I currently have traffic and an EDM in my Skylane, but the integration of these and the second MFD make for an amazing experience, and lots of added safety.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
jcal7

Hi, Jon:

In reply to:

I have a 2000 C-182, about 400 hrs, instrument rating, lots of XC in the western US. I’m looking at an SR-22 or a SaratogaTC. I am curious for any pointers or squaks to watch out for. Specifically:
-have any of you had composite weakness problems? squishiness around the pitot tube or OAT probe? spiderwebs?
-does the SR22 have “excess vibration” in cruise. in my 2 Cirrus demo flights, I didn’t notice it, but have heard it from folks selling against CIrrus, so i figured I’d ask you guys, who have likely logged thousands of hrs XC
-what is the deal with those doors . . .both of the CD’s in the local flight club have doors that dont work. have they fixed this?
-i am onl 5’10" but noticed that my knees are snug against the lower part of the panel due to the design of the rising seat track . . .how does this work for you guys?
any other thoughts? I am really taken by the SR22. The situational awareness is really outstanding. I currently have traffic and an EDM in my Skylane, but the integration of these and the second MFD make for an amazing experience, and lots of added safety.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My $.02 after moving from a 1976 182 to a 2002 SR22, nearly 200 hours it it now.

The composite is simply not an issue. None of the things you suggest. There aren’t problems…it’s actually better.

The 22 has a little more vibration than my 182, which may be mostly due to the engine mount dynamics. Cirrus has figured out a better engine mount just becoming available on new aircraft. Even with old ones, just fly it and see if it bugs you.

I’m 6-1 and I fly with my knees an inch or so clear of the lower panel. Because of the lack of the yoke on the Cirrus you might at first try be tempted to put the seat farther forward than you need to. Give yourself plenty of room. Visibility and reach is quite good with the seat more relaxed than the ‘bolt upright’ feel of a 182.

The 22 is a far cry from the 182. Unless you will miss landing on short dirt strips, you’ll never look back.

Tim

P.S. If you are seriously considering this, consider joining COPA. The $50 will get you access to a huge body of messages on the Member’s forums that cover everything you would ever want to know.

Jon,
I am a contributing editor to IFR Magazine and wrote an article a few months ago on the SR22. You can read it on my web site here. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to e-mail me at scott@chesavtraining.com. Hope this helps.

I suspect I’ve flown the two airplanes you mention re: the doors, at WVFC.

Certainly the doors are a bit finicky, and require more attention than your average late-model Cessna product’s to close correctly, but they’re manageable if you’re diligent. I do think the design could be improved (somehow - I’m an EE not an ME!) but it’s a minor niggle in my book… In my short experience with these airplanes at this club, people are pretty careless and being a bit more consciencious would’ve made things go better. But, in all fairness the doors could be easier to close properly 8^)

re: cockpit room - I’m over 6’4" and I find the office to be very very comfortable and vastly superior to the other airplanes I’ve flown. I love having my lap free and no yoke in my chest for safety reasons. But, I can see where the intentional “seat rising as it’s moved forward” innovation might not work for everyone.

The only other comment I’ll make is this - and it surprises me that this is the case at least for me, being someone that thrives on technology and all the cockpit toys - but an all-glass SR is a very different beast than your 182 and it will take more than just a couple hours to become comfortable with all of the information that’s there and how to “suck it all in” in an orderly fashion.

Wait - one more thing - the TCAS is wonderful. I am probably already spoiled after only about 10 hours in the '20 with this feature. I sure wish the other '20 on the WVFC line had it. In our busy airspace it’s practically a necessity IMO.

Dave Blevins

You Will Love The Plane and You Can Alos Use My Stuff on Your Cessna It’s OK… Log On: http://baamproducts.com [:)]
Norm

I’ve had my SR22 for a year now.

I’ve had no issues with composites, vibration or legroom (I’m 5’-9").

Many little issues, which I’m told might be expected with any new airplane. These
were promptly fixed at my service center, under warranty. Never any safety
of flight issues.

Overall I love my SR22 and Cirrus Design’s support of their product.

Michael Nagy

TIm,
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the perspective, and I have this sneaking suspicion that I will “never look back” as you suggest. I did hear about the new mount available on all 2004 aircraft. That is a good step. On the composite issues, much of this is FUD in the GA community. I really admire what the CD folks are doing, and all great innovations throughout history have had their naysayers. I am glad to hear that you’ve had no issues.
Thanks.
Jon
PS - I signed up for COPA and have found great stuff on the members only boards re: comparing the SR22 and 182. Thanks!

Welcome aboard…FWIW, I have a long cross country planned in two weeks, that for reasons to complex to describe here must be in an Arrow II - It’s part of my training for my commercial rating. Nostolgically, its probably my last flight in this old iron, (if I can help it). And I am dreading it, IMC concerns; uncomfortable airplane seats; slow; steam gauges; challenged avionics; etc. etc.

I am thinking about posting an “I said I never could go back and now I really mean it and here’s why” pirep on this flight…

Hope you ultimately join us as a pilot! “the few, the proud, the Cirrivators…” Well I guess were not so few anymore…“the numerous, the proud…?”

In reply to:

You Will Love The Plane and You Can Alos Use My Stuff on Your Cessna It’s OK… Log On:…

ROTFLOL!! [:D] Norman: Great way to sneak in that promo! I think you have topped Scott for sly placement of marketing material. I after 4 days off, all of the work I didn’t do and the new problems have given me an aweful day. Thanks - I needed that laugh.

Tell me again what the name of your stuff is? [;)]

Jon - you will love the airplane more after you live with it for a few months. Faster, more comfortable, better situational awareness, and plain old fun-to-fly ! Good luck with your decision…and I can add that COPA " sold " me on Cirrus…the owner support is terrific.

The rest of this post is for Norm - so please close your eyes Jon.

You Will Love The Plane and You Can Alos Use My Stuff on Your Cessna It’s OK… Log On: http://baamproducts.com
Norm

My gosh - this is really getting old Norm.

I have nothing against you or your product, but do believe the the MARKETPLACE Forum is the appropriate vehicle for marketing your product.

I was hoping you would eventually retreat from your constant barrage of " buy my great product " press releases. I am beginning to think BAAM is short for " shove the product down the throat of COPA members." Your constant posts remind me of the annoying " pop - up " ads on the internet. Didn’t ask to see it - don’t want to see it - eventually dislike the company who is pushing their product on me in this manner.

COPA provides a great opporutnity for all of us to share information which helps us all fly more safely. The MARKETPLACE forum is where your product should be advertised PERIOD.

I cannot be the only one who has crossed you off their shopping list because they are tired of hearing your sales pitches.

This post is a waste of time for me to write and for others to read - get with the program Norm, and follow the guidelines which are for everyones benefit.

In reply to:

I think you have topped Scott for sly placement of marketing material.

Ah, but my marketing material is always educational…by the way Marty, are you coming to my next weather seminar in…[sensored][:P]

I think it’s time the Admins start a new forum:

“BAAM Marketplace”

I like the product (the little I’ve used it so far) but I agree with Scott on this one.

In reply to:

Ah, but my marketing material is always educational…by the way Marty, are you coming to my next weather seminar in…

Good One Scott! You have the lead by the width of a little rime ice! [;)]