SR22 Vibration

Whit: I wouldn’t worry too much about your new SR22 for these reasons:

1. Yours may not have a vibration problem, or it may not be serious. My SR22 (s/n 32) has some vibration, but it is not enough to be annoying nor cause me concern about damage to my airplane.

2. Based on the reports in this forum, the problem seems to occur at 2500 RPM. If your plane has an objectionable vibration, the workaround is to cruise at a different RPM, either by flying high enough so that 2600 or 2700 RPM are still only 75% power, or by reducing the RPM to 2400 RPM. You may only go 170 knots, but if you do the math, you’ll see that it only makes a few minutes difference for most trips.

3. Without more concrete evidence the statement that there is an “exhaust design problem” is pure speculation. Even if there is such a problem, it would be a further speculative leap to link it to exhaust system failure.

4. I have faith that Cirrus will resolve this problem. After all, they were smart enough to design, certify, and manufacture these wonderful airplanes, weren’t they?

5. I’ll bet when you get your new airplane, you’ll be having too much fun to worry :slight_smile:

-Mike

1. Based on the reports in this forum, the problem seems to occur at 2500 RPM. If your plane has an objectionable vibration, the workaround is to cruise at a different RPM, either by flying high enough so that 2600 or 2700 RPM are still only 75% power, or by reducing the RPM to 2400 RPM. You may only go 170 knots, but if you do the math, you’ll see that it only makes a few minutes difference for most trips.

I take it that the SR22 doesn’t have the same throttle control as the SR20. In the 20 (according to the POH) you only have 2 RPM choices 2700 which is full power and 2500 which is everything else. If you have vibration at 2500 then full power is the only alternative.

Not really. I have been cruising at around 20" MP which sets the RPM around 2400 as the prop control starts to drop back to a lower speed setting. The vib is all but gone, and the bigger benefit is that even though I am only doing about 170 kts, I am doing it on almost 3gph less fuel flow…rich of peak around 15.5gph, and lean of peak around 13gph at 5000 feet…what a deal!

Paul

Personally, I’m glad at this point that I opted to stay with the SR20 instead of upgrading.
I am very happy with my SR20 – even though I have flown in the 22 enough to be envious of its cruise speed and awed by its climb performance. The 20 fits my budget, and the 22 doesn’t.
However, I want to be sure about the premise of this question. I’ve not encountered this vibration either in the 20 or in my much more limited 22 experience. So, if I were basing it on my own observations, I’d say that neither plane had a problem. Are we sure that the problem that does exist is for 22s only? Have any 20 owners had comparable complaints? The 22’s engine is heavier and stronger enough to explain a different vibration pattern, but I’d like to make sure that there are no reports of similar problems in the 20. jf

I have a 20 with 65 hours and the only thing that I notice is just alittle movement of the top of panal.Not nearly as much as my trinidads used to move and I never had any instrument or avionics failers in 900 hours in the two TB20. I dont feel it inmy seat or on my feet.so for me only the slightest of movement at the very top of panaledge I think that that is normal if othere would reply also.by the way Jim nice rite up about your book in the aopa mag. From Don

I was told that this was an engine mount problem that Cirrus was working on to correct. Any one else hear this explaination? Larry

As a point of reference, the manager said that the plane they have for testing does not vibrate so the can’t pinpoint the source…

It seems to me that if they were really interested in solving the problem they would be looking at one of the planes with the problem.

In the mean time consider yourselves TEST PILOTS…

Tick… Tick… Tick…

I agree. I’m due to take delivery of # 181 in early April. Maybe the best way to get to the bottom of this is for COPA to coordinate between Cirrus and several of the owners of planes with vibration to make those planes available to Cirrus for up to ten hour of testing each to help Cirrus isolate the problem. Given the level of concern which is being voiced here, it seems that if we 22 owners seriously want this problem solved, we should cooperate by making the problem planes available. I’d be interested in the response from the 22 owners who have made posts regarding the existence of this problem in their planes.

I take delivery of my SR22 on January 2nd and will report after the acceptance (or rejection) flight. Lack of significant vibration on the acceptance flight seems to be no guarantee that it won’t start up later. I probably should be more concerned with getting a commitment from Cirrus to make addressing the 22’s vibration their number one priority. We also deserve a commitment from Cirrus to replace Avionics etc that fail after their warrranty has expired if failure occurs before vibration has been reduced to “normal” levels.

Roger

Lou -

I’d say that my intermitent vibration began at about 125 hrs.

Bob

Bumping the topic for some input. I’m a G1 #154 owner now for 2 years and went through the list of SB’s regarding vibrations with no luck. Does seem to only be noticeable in cruise at 2500 rpm and can see the wing tips dancing. Been searching around the web and only conclusion I can come up with is that exhaust having a ton of bends and the airframe being composite and not “absorbing” the vibes as well as our aluminum friends.

Dave,

Very few people on this thread are still members. I have an early 22, lower SN than yours. Some of the planes were more prone to this than others. Mine wasn’t a “shaker” and yet others were.

One things for sure it isn’t the exhaust system UNLESS it is making contact on the airframe somewhere (in which case it isn’t conforming).

One of the most consistent fixes was replacing the old 4 point engine mount and replacing it with the newer 6 point mount. I replaced my engine mount and it made a remarkable difference.

I had so much vibration I thought my prop was out of balance which I just had balanced 12 months ago. The guy that balanced my prop asked me what kind of oil I was using and I told him 15/50. He told me to try a straight weight oil. I thought he was crazy and thought there was no way it would make a difference. I talked with my mechanic and he said to give it a try. I went from 15/50 to a straight weight oil and it is literally like a new plane and I have very little vibration. There is no way I would believe it could make that kind of difference but it did. My stratus used to almost vibrate off the glaire shield and now it does not even move.

Lets see the engine data

Jim my plane is in annual right now but it is literally like night and day. All of my compressions were all 72 or higher also. I would not have believed the difference if I had not felt it myself. If someone told me this I would have also called BS. I am telling you it is a 180 degree difference.

The oil I was using was Aero Shell 15/50 and we went to the Aero Shell 80

I almost did not post this because I did not want people to say it was BS but my experience is what it is.

I am not sure how to pull the engine data either, but would be happy to do so if someone wants to tell me how. My G1 is SN#227

Definitely going to go to the 6 point mount when my motor is due. As far as the oil making the difference. Only thing that would make sense with that is the governor maybe working better at maintaining that 2500 rpm with the straight weight oil.

Sometimes the weirdest things work in this industry and all you can call it is PFM (Pure F****** Magic)

Dave

I agree it does not make sense but it made a night and day difference. The first time I flew the plane I thought something was wrong because it was so much better. The A&P that did my prop balance is the one that recommended it he puts 1500 hours per year flying for the fed reserve and tried lots of different oils and swears by straight weight. I can’t explain it but sure can feel it. I have not done the 6 point change either. Smooth as butter

I might give that a shot once this weather gets a bit warmer. Hate working out in nature’s hanger this time of year. Aeroshell W80 is essentially the SAE 30 or 40…I forget which one, will look it up. Got nothing to lose by trying a new oil plus SAE 30 and 50 are both in the POH. Would definitely be funny and great if it fixes it.