Picking up #1170 (N508JS) *DELETED*

Post deleted by Bill_Dobson

Bill -

Welcome to COPA!

There have been a number of posts on this subject over the last year or so - use the search function with search words “pickup” or “delivery”. You’ll find the threads fairly consistent re advice.

Bottom line though - it is generally a fun experience, be sure to get as many early problems identified and fixed as possible, and enjoy the new plane.

Bob

I recently took delivery of an SR22. Be prepared for weather delays. I sat through four days of weather that was mostly IFR or below minimums. You can get the ground school done while waiting and you may be able to get into a plane and play with the avionics for a few hours which is worthwhile. After that and the factory tour, there is not much else to do.

I eventual left shortly after the acceptance flight and did the training on the way home. That worked well. You will need to pay the instructors expenses and ticket back to Duluth but at least it is a way to get out.

The factory tour was very worthwhile. However, if your schedule is tight you might want to have the instructor take delivery and bring the plane to you.

The main things to bring are your flight bag with charts to get home, a good jacket, hat and gloves. I never used the long johns I had packed. You just aren’t outside that long, but when you are the wind makes it pretty cold. I also threw in a small tool and emergency kit that I always carry.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bill,
Welcome, I am the Director of Maintenace at Airways Inc. in Lancaster, Pa. if you have any questions or concerns E-mail me and I would be glad to help. Where are you based out of anyway. Good luck with the new plane.

Jim

Regarding places to stay. The Fairfield Inn refused to extend my stay when I was delayed several days for weather. I could not believe that rooms were tight in Duluth but they were. Cirrus found me a room but said they were probably going to remove the Fairfield Inn from their recommended list. I ended up in the Radison for the same price and better accommodations.

One more suggestion. Get a list of all of the components serial numbers from Cirrus while you are in Duluth. You will need them to fill out about a dozen warranty cards that come in the nine pound (I weighed them) stack of manuals and information that are stuffed into various pockets in the plane when you take delivery. Also, be aware that some of those manuals are required to be in the plane along with the POH. Others are not required. It takes some close reading to be sure which is which.

Congratulations on #1170. By coincidence, I picked up SR-20 number 1070 in October, 2000. Still grinning every time I get in and fly. Now have close to 200 hrs on it and love it. Cirrus continues to be great to customers. If only they had some connection with the weather makers up there. Even last October we picked up ice during training. Good for IPC, but not too good for fun fying. Best of luck.

As noted above and in prior posts having a Cirrus pilot or other qualified rep take delivery of the plane a week or so prior to your arrival can avoid down time if there is a problem. When I was there another plane was delayed for several days while an electrical problem was isolated and fix.

No fun watching when all you have is a big grin on your face.

Also check prior posts regarding places to stay and eat.

Enjoy!!

Bob SR22 96SY

Another mtce option is Lakeside Aviation in Greenville (GMU). I have had excellent work from Lakeside so far on A&P items. Don’t handle avionics.

I overfly CAE to get to GMU from Beaufort, SC.

Ask for Smitty.

Bill,
Welcome to the Cirrus crowd. I am based in Rock Hill with an SR22 and have used Lakeside and Eagle. They both have their strong points. Lakeside (the guy there is Smitty) is great for mechanical type airframe and engine stuff. Eagle can’t be beat for avionics and paint issues. Eagle does a lot of heavy iron business turboprop and jet work. Lakeside is primarily a piston/propeller place. Lake side is right on the field at Greenville, and they have really cheap self serve avgas an easy taxi away without having to cross any runways. Both places are Cirrus Service Centers and the phone numbers should be in your Service Center Guide CD gives you.
Hope to see you around sometime.
By the way, get used to all of the ATC guys around here renaming you Experimental November … on the radio. They still don’t know. I have even had a control tower tell me the SR22 is not on their list of certified aircraft. I do not know if this will make any difference in IFR clearances or not, I am just now working on my ticket. One tower operator made statements over the radio implying this could be an issue for IFR flight.
FWIW,
Greg

Hey Bob,
I’m probably the guy your referring to as the one who was inconvenience by the electrical problems…101VM
I feel “my problems” should have been detected in the 6+ hours that cirrus put on the plane before I got there. The radios, autopilot etc were malfunctioning. Turned out to be a problem with the wiring harness and a defective 55X…I lost a good day and a half of training during that ordeal. Not sure why “their” flight test didn’t pick up the problem… The delay was annoying not to mention seeing your sh## eating grin each time you returned from a successful training session.
Glad to hear all is well with you!
Bob SR22 101VM

Still grinning, even though I now have a peculiar and changing problem. Top Gun is working on it now and hopefully it will be back soon with its rivets gleaming.

Bob

Relax

I regularly fly my SR22 thru the SC/NC/VA corridor and get a combination of “whats a Cirrus” and “Hey, tht’s great, how do you like the plane:”

Have NEVER had any difficulty with ATC. The SR22/G designation in the flight plan seems to slot right into the 20 year old ATC mainfram computer systems.

Bob

I can only report what was said to me by ATC. I have no idea what list they were talking about or if it will have any impact on my flying. The first mention of this issue was by a tower operator and happened while my partner and I were with Regis Fluery, the factory delivery pilot. Otherwise, I get the same friendly responses with occasional questions while being renamed Experimental November…
Greg

The funniest controller comment I got was on one flight where one sector controller asked the aircraft type. I told him “Cirrus SR20”, but he had trouble making out what I was saying, so I said “Cirrus, like the cloud, Sierra Romeo two zero”. That seemed to satisfy him.

Then he handed me to the next controller, who asked “Hey, what’s this McLeod thing you’re flying??”.

I’ve had a few others who’ve asked for a ride, or asked what it takes to own one. Some just ask the type and make no other comment.

I have 165 hours on my '22 since May, and I have never had any difficulties with ATC. Here is a list of the questions and comments:

While filing a flight plan: “I don’t know what that is, but the computer takes it.”

ATC Approach and Center controllers: “What is that,” “Seems nice,” “What is your cruise speed” “Never heard of it,” and “Please slow down for mooney traffic ahead.”

At no time have any ATC responses or issues been even the slightest problem. The most common confusion occurs when there is a handoff and the new controller is not familiar with the type.

Well, let me take that back, once I was instructed to follow a Citation on a 5 mile wide downwind as my descent ground speed was near 200 kts. My only thought is that they must have though I was a turbine.

At this point there are plenty out there and some folks are flying the wheel pants off them, so ATC seems pretty comfortable.

Marty

Well, I guess I must be mistaken and I did not hear what I thought. I have printed several comments posted and will take them with me on my next trip so that I can read them to the next ATC guy that doesn’t give me the same treatment.
Greg

Until a month ago or so, DUATS would not accept the SR22 designator. I had to file as an SR20 and put the real type in the remarks section. Now that’s fixed.

Last weekend I had a nice chat with a controller at Monterey Approach who complained that he couldn’t find anyone to join him in a partnership to acquire his very own SR22. I pointed him to this web-site, so hopefully he has joined us by now on the forum and is on his way to forming a partnership.

Word is definitely getting around.

George Savage