Picking up #1170 (N508JS) *DELETED*

On a recent departure from DPA at light weight on a cool day when I checked into Chicago Departure already level at my assigned 3000 the controller said, “970, pardon my ingnorance but are you a jet”? When I confessed that I was a single engine piston with the gear down and bonded he just couldn’t believe it. It felt very good!
Jerry

Well, the tower controller you spoke with was half right – the SR20 & SR22 designators are not yet in Appendix A of FAA Order 7110.65M (chg.3, eff 7/12/01). But this should have no impact on ATC services, including IFR. You see, appendix A lists many different types of aircraft (but not all), and lists the Type Designator, Description (No. & type of engines/Weight class), Performance Info (climb fpm/descent fpm & “same runway separation” category). This is probably Greek to non-controllers, but what it tells controllers is how to apply different separation rules. But it is important to note that just because the info is not in the FAAO 7110.65M Apx. A has no bearing on the application of the appropriate separation rules. It simply means that the controller needs to apply the category standards without reference to a table. Here are the Appendix A criteria of both the SR20 & SR22. Write this down and give it to the controller next time you have a problem:

Type Designator: SR20 or SR22 (as appropriate)
Description: 1P/S [ref: FAAO 7110.65M, Appendix A, Definition, “Aircraft Weight Classes”]
SRS Category: I [ref: FAAO 7110.65M, para. 3-9-6 (see note)]

That is all the information they need to properly process you in the National Airspace System. The only exception is the application of Land and Hold Short (LAHSO) operations. I would not expect a controller to permit you to land and hold short of another runway because the SR2x types have not have specific authorization to participate in LAHSO per the 7110.65M.

Waaaay more than you wanted to know, I’m sure. But that’s the ATC technical bottom line. And, for what it’s worth, I called over to the procedures dept (the “keepers” of the 7110.65M) and told them to get on the stick and get the SR2x designators in their manual.

Kelly Rudy

Kelly Rudy wrote:
Well, the tower controller you spoke with was half right – the SR20 & SR22 designators are not yet in Appendix A of FAA Order 7110.65M (chg.3, eff 7/12/01).

Thanks to Kelly for providing all the FAA insider info. Just to confuse things a bit more, the designator for the SR20 (but not the SR22) is in FAA Order 7340.1U, “CONTRACTIONS,” Change 2, Effective 9/6/01 (http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/CNT/5-1-C.htmhttp://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/CNT/5-1-C.htm). Go figure.

Kelly,
Thank-you so much for explaining this to me. It was not more than I wanted to know. As a matter of fact, after reading your comment about ‘Land and hold short’ instructions, I remembered the controller in Savannah, GA mentioning this specifically. In Savannah, this is practically SOP and is usually provided on the ATIS as expected practice on landing. So that is why he mentioned it. Same thing happens in Columbia, SC too (land and hold short protocol).
Thanks again for enlightening me,
Greg

I hadn’t looked in the “Contractions” manual–and you’re right. The short answer is that this publication originates from a different office on a different revision schedule. Hopefully the issue will be settled with the next revision of the 7110.65. I’d go on about how the process works but it would cause the reader’s brain to turn to goo.

Kelly Rudy