4 blades propeller

I wonder should I change my 3 blades propeller in my Cirrus SR22T G3 for 4 blades propeller?
Can pilots who use 4 blades propeller write advantages and disadvantages of it?

Especially about speed(slower or faster, how many knots?) and fuel consumption are greater or not?

In next 2 years I have to change propeller anyway. To make decision for change I need more information.

Thanks

Pawel-

If you come by more information, please also share it here on the forum, I was told by Cirrus the 4 blade propeller option on the 2020 SR22T G6 is a a purely cosmetic option.

I asked specifically about, improved climb, cruise speed, or any performance benefit and was told none existed, I even asked if it would be a little quieter, and again I was told no.

This is as compared to the Hartzell 3-Blade Composite Propeller that is fitted as standard on the 2020 SR22T G6, I don’t know what propeller is installed on your aircraft and whether or not this would apply to you.

It would seem, at least on the new airplanes, that the choice comes down to looks and cost, the 4 blade option is $21,900.00 and adds 5 pounds to the aircraft.

I have Hartzell phc-j3y1n-1f propeller now

It sad what you wrote that there aren’t many advantages.

Pawel-

You opened two separate topics, this one, and another identical post in the “Website Issues” category, you should consider deleting the other topic as your question is not germane to that category.

Keeping your topic open here under “Guest Discussion” is perfectly appropriate and the only other category to which you can post given the fact you are not logged in as a COPA Member.

I deleted my original reply as I was not sufficiently certain it provided any value to you in your decision, I am not familiar with the SR22T G3, and whether or not you are considering the same 4 blade Hartzell that is being offered by the factory in 2020 or perhaps an STC’d propeller from another manufacturer. I have UN-deleted my reply at your request.

I am not a moderator, my apologies if I gave you that impression.

Zero advantages unless you prefer the way it looks. Mx is probably going to be higher as one has more blades to deal with at overhaul.

Why do you have to change the propellor in 2 years? There is no requirement to do that. If you are operating under regulations that require the maintenance schedule to be observed, there are provisions for overhauling the propellor and that will be far cheaper than replacing it.

There is not any performance reason to choose 4 blade over 3 blade propeller

2 Likes

Trip-

Pawel is based in Warsaw, Poland, it would not surprise me in the least if he has to adhere to more stringent regulations than those for Part 91 in the United States, in any event, the option to overhaul his existing propeller should still be on the table.

Which incidentally is what I would do, there is no appeal for me in buying a new 4 blade prop.

1 Like

And I stated that in the next sentence

Indeed you did, I was just addressing the “why” in this question “Why do you have to change the propeller in 2 years?” :handshake:

In Europe we have more restricted polices. In USA you can fly without inspection of engine but we have to inspect engine every 50 H or later 100H and after 2000H engine is completly restore like a new. But it cost a lot. Same with propeller.

Pawel-

Trip made a good observation that I believe is even more relevant to you given the regulations governing maintenance requirements in your home country.

Unless your propeller has allot of components approaching their wear limits or damage, and an overhaul does not make sense financially, I would be looking to overhaul my existing propeller when the time comes.

Even if faced with the decision to purchase a new propeller, I would opt for the 3-blade prop over the 4-blade.

If I may make an off-topic suggestion, you would get many more replies to your questions and have access to wealth of other topics (including about the 4 blade propeller) as a COPA Member, I can’t think of a better (or less expensive) investment you could make as a Cirrus owner.

Please consider a COPA membership and avail yourself of all the knowledge and information on this forum.

I am very aware of that and addressed it in my reply. However, the cost to restore and existing propellor to “like new” is much lower than the cost of a new propellor.

So, because you were seeking advice, I wanted to be sure that you included the costs of an overhaul of your existing propellor with the cost of a new propellor. It may be that, in Poland, it is not cheaper but, your post seemed to indicate that you were under the impression that you were forced to replace the propellor. I have flown all over the world and I am unaware of any maintenance requirement to replace an engine with new or a propellor with a new one.

But, more to the point, the only advantage of the 4 vs 3 blade propellor is appearance. Even Cirrus stated that when they unveiled this at the CX event last year.

1 Like

Agree. Cost of restore propeller what I need to do in next 2 years is lower. In Europe 4 blade propeller cost 18 000 Euro so same as in $$$. Similar price for 3 blade propeller.
But restore is cheaper also in Europe.

Flying generally cost and for sure cost of brand new 4 blade propeller isn’t advantages.

Performance is a stuff which I am interesting in. If this upgrade doesn’t give me better performance only appearance so it’s no a deal.

I asked moderator to move topic but it didn’t happend so what can I do now. Close this topic and remove all your answers?

No, I think you misunderstood me, there is nothing wrong with leaving your topic open in the Guest Discussion category.

Are you a paid member of the Cirrus Owners & Pilots Association (COPA)? I only ask because you are not logged in to the forum as a Member, and if so, your membership may have expired.

I am a member. I was for sure and I paid. even I cannot see if not expired. It’s not visible in Profile.

I thought that might be the case, you will need to update your information on the main COPA website.

Here is what you need to do:

Update the credit card on file By clicking “Manage Subscriptions” in your Passport settings:

https://passport.cirruspilots.org/Identity/Account/Manage/Subscriptions

Please send an email to Membership@CirrusPilots.org if you have any issues updating your account.

Pawel,

Your subscription Expired on 02/28/2020.

To update Please navigate to the following(as Hans has mentioned already):
https://passport.cirruspilots.org/Identity/Account/Manage/Subscriptions
Then click on Manage Subscriptions

Here are the next steps…

1. Update Payment Method
  2. Change Plan (From Guest to Paying Member)

No. I have good subscription:

Pawel-

@ErikGun is the best possible person to help you, he IS a moderator and also an Administrator.

If you take a closer look at the picture you posted, you are currently a “Guest Member”

Just follow the directions posted above to update you CC information and change your plan from Guest to Paying Member, after which you will once again have access to the complete forum.

1 Like

You’re right.
Now I am member of COPA.

1 Like