4 blades propeller

Thanks

Excellent Pawel-

One last step, log out and log back in to the forum!

I have a 4 blade MT prop on my G3. I find it to be slightly quieter, climbs slightly better and keeps the engine a lot cooler.
When i was getting my IFR, the CFI would always comment on how cool the engine was running.
Its also about 23lbs lighter.
There are other benefits such as higher TBO and unlimited service life; The composites are just sleeves over a wood core, so when the composite has a problem you can just put a new sleeve on.
Also more ground clearance due to shorter blades.
IDK, i like it.

2 Likes

Pawel,

I assume you’re on SP registration? Have you considered moving to D where there is no time limit on the prop?

There should not be any issues in operating on D in Poland and if there is, I suggest getting AOPA involved. They were helpful in getting EASA to remind Denmark of the mutual recognition of EASA registrations within the EU.

Michael

It’s big advantage of cooling engine. Summer in Croatia CHT temp was too high during climb.(red color) I was surprised. I flatten flight and engine starts cool down.

Michael
I’ve never considered move to D registration. I will check benefits.
Thanks.

A few years back I elected to have a 4 blade MT prop placed on my 2009 SR22T as I was under the impression that I would gain more speed and possibly run quieter. Within 5 years I had to have a blade replaced due to de-lamination and again a 2nd blade replaced a couple years after the first. NO real speed advantage but it did run very slightly quieter ( little change which was more pitch than anything). The plane now has a new Hartzell 3 blade original prop back on it. My advice is to stay with your Hartzell 3 blade.

I considered a partnership in a plane that had the 4 blade. Not enough time in SR22’s to compare much but what was noticeable in my full hour of time in 2 flights compared to mine now was the greater braking effect of the 4 blade, could drop the plane like a rock.

1 Like

Do you have the 3 blade composite? It also stops on a dime, I’m pretty sure the braking action is similar to the 4 blade.