Will SR-22 Fit In 40' Hanger?

In deciding which to buy, I’ve test flown the SR-22, the Mooney Bravo and the Lancair 350. All three planes have their advantages and disadvantages, but one concern I have with the SR-22 is the wide wing span of 38’ 6" (the Mooney and Lancair are around 36’ wide). My hanger door is only 40’ wide (I currently own a Piper Dakota with a 36’ wing span). That leaves very little tolerance – 9" on each side – to push and pull a SR-22 into the hanger without dinging the ends of the wings.

Does anyone keep a SR-22 in a 40’ hanger? Do you have any problems getting the plane in and out without bumping into the door frame or side walls?

Any “real world” feedback would be appreciated, because at this point I’m about to elminate the SR-22 from consideration due to this concern.

i keep my sr22 in a 40ft shadeport. i painted lines on the floor and have had no problems. i actually push it in by hand but a number of owners have power tows. as far as planes go, hard to go wrong with your choices. for me the tks and parachute made the difference. i am currently excited because we are starting to see aftermarket efforts to add things to the platform (built in 02 and turbonomalizing as examples) good luck with your decision

In reply to:

In deciding which to buy, I’ve test flown the SR-22, the Mooney Bravo and the Lancair 350. All three planes have their advantages and disadvantages, but one concern I have with the SR-22 is the wide wing span of 38’ 6" (the Mooney and Lancair are around 36’ wide). My hanger door is only 40’ wide (I currently own a Piper Dakota with a 36’ wing span). That leaves very little tolerance – 9" on each side – to push and pull a SR-22 into the hanger without dinging the ends of the wings.
Does anyone keep a SR-22 in a 40’ hanger? Do you have any problems getting the plane in and out without bumping into the door frame or side walls?
Any “real world” feedback would be appreciated, because at this point I’m about to elminate the SR-22 from consideration due to this concern.

Jim
My partner and I have a 40’ wide hangar as well. We are on our second Cirrus and have never had any issues getting the plane in and out. We painted a yellow line on the ground in front of the hangar that we follow with the nose wheel and have taped some blue tape vertically in the center of the back of the hangar, for lining up the rudder when pushing in the plane.
We have never had a problem and I am sure you will get the hang of it as well.

Manfred

1 Like

It is important to accurately measure the door opening. I had a Dakota before my SR22. There is a big difference in the wing span. If you paint a line for one of the main wheels you will have no problem with the wing span. Painting a line for the nose wheel does not help. My opening is less than 40 feet and I have never hit the sides. After a couple of months you will not worry about the limited clearance.

In reply to:

My T-hangar doorway is only 39’ 4" wide, so I only have 5" on each side. In the 18 months I’ve had my SR22 I have had no trouble, using my Aero-Tow 200 electric tug and a striping scheme and put-away technique that you can learn all about in this thread on the Member’s forum. For that information alone it’ll be well worth your $50 to join COPA! There are an awful lot of posts on the subject.

I can put ‘er away with confidence in less than a minute in my hangar, now that I have the hang of it (sorry). Your ultra-wide 40’ hangar would be a piece of cake. Buy the Cirrus. You’ll never regret it.

I also had a Dakota prior to my SR22. The SR22 leaves about 6" on each side, not very much room. I started with yellow lines, but I wasn’t comfortable with the margin and went to guide rails. No regrets with this system, or with purchasing a plane with such a large wingspan.

Mine is also in a 40’ hanger. Get a aero-tow and it’s a piece of cake. Only real issue is walking around the plane. Big deal you duck under the wing once and a while.

Jason
loaded SR22 - N213JW

In reply to:

You don’t say if you have a T hanger or box. I have a 40 ft. door in a box hanger. I have a yellow center line that extends outside the door. I taxi in and put the nose wheel on the yellow line and pull in using an electric aero-tow. I can slip around each wing tip.

I have stripes and a AeroTow electric. Sometimes its a breeze to put it in, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. YOu get used to it and it is no big deal really, if I get it just right, I can walk around the left wing and have the aircraft slightly to the right.

In reply to:

i keep my sr22 in a 40ft shadeport. i painted lines on the floor and have had no problems. i actually push it in by hand but a number of owners have power tows. as far as planes go, hard to go wrong with your choices. for me the tks and parachute made the difference. i am currently excited because we are starting to see aftermarket efforts to add things to the platform (built in 02 and turbonomalizing as examples) good luck with your decision

In reply to:

I admire everyones ability to back up the Cirrus in a 40’ hanger. I ended up renting a 50’ to be safe…See attached

Looks like a great place for a hangar party! Nice!!

In reply to:

I admire everyones ability to back up the Cirrus in a 40’ hanger. I ended up renting a 50’ to be safe…See attached

Gary, when you roll that rig down the fairway do they always let you play through? [;)]

In reply to:

Gary, when you roll that rig down the fairway do they always let you play through?

Gordon, YES, they let me play thru…

That cart is a lot of fun…especially just riding around our Airport visiting folks. It has really saved my back as well…(being a golf nut I always wanted my own cart)

In reply to:

I have stripes and a AeroTow electric. Sometimes its a breeze to put it in, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. YOu get used to it and it is no big deal really, if I get it just right, I can walk around the left wing and have the aircraft slightly to the right.

Laurence: Do you have a) the main wheel stripe, and b) the key - the “aiming” stripe for the vertical stabilzer high in the back of your hangar? Once you get the main on its stripe, if you then go purely by keeping the vertical stab lined up on that back-hangar mark, it becomes a 100% done deal. (See my photo earler in this thread.)

Been there.