SR22 Wingspan

I’m seeing the wingspan of the SR22 reported as 38.25 feet and as 38.5 feet. Anyone know the "real"specs?

Also, with many hangars [for those who have them] being a tight fit for either of the above dimensions, and there already having been a posting about difficulty with ground handling the SR20 due to the castering nose wheel, does any one have a suggestion for a powered ground handleer that would work well with SR20/SR22?

I’m seeing the wingspan of the SR22 reported as 38.25 feet and as 38.5 feet. Anyone know the "real"specs?

Also, with many hangars [for those who have them] being a tight fit for either of the above dimensions, and there already having been a posting about difficulty with ground handling the SR20 due to the castering nose wheel, does any one have a suggestion for a powered ground handleer that would work well with SR20/SR22?

Try looking at www.dragger.com I don’t have their equipment, but Aviation Consumer has rated them very hignly. It appears that their units do away with the attachment problems that I have with my power tow.

I move 7654T with a unit I bought from PowerTow.com. It works well.

Gary: How’s the tripo going?

The latest spec’s in the spec book delivered with our contracts was 38.5’. I’d play it safe.

Other stuff: Bill White got the lease today. I delivered it in person. He will mail back one copy of the fully executed original on Monday, or so he says. It will be interesting to see where he mails it! I know that you have copies of all you gave me, but I copied it anyway and sent it to you. It’ll be waiting upon your return.

Keep your head down!

Have a gerat trip.

Marty JATiii@aol.com

We bought a “nose dragger dragger” for our present plane for eventual use on the Cirrus. It is transferable from plane to plane because it “locks” on to the nosewheel tire. I can’t guarantee it will work on the Cirrus, but the electric model has been great on a Piper. Talk to the owner at www.dragger.com for his opinion on the castering nose wheel and measure the height of the wheel fairing to the ground. The apparatus has to fit there to hold the wheel in place and the Cirrus’ fairings seem very low to the ground. The owner is helpful and will work with you to modify the dragger, if necessary. Let us know what you find out.

Hello Gary,

There is no ( NO ) problem with the nose gear if you use a tow bar for steering. Most airplanes nose wheel stay straight when you push the airplane back or forward without a tow bar. This is because their nose wheel steering is not as good ( I will say it again “not as good”) as the Cirrus or any other free castering wheel. Their only bad point is when you are pushing the airplane back you should have a tow bar attached for steering. You can do it without it but takes time to know what to do. People that are not used to free nose wheel steering thing it is a problem only because they have never used a system like that. Try it you will like it. I put over 400 hours in my Lancair and over 200 hours on my Cheetah without ever replacing the brakes either. Have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

and there already having been a posting about difficulty with ground handling the SR20 due to the castering nose wheel, does any one have a suggestion for a powered ground handleer that would work well with SR20/SR22?

I’ve never had the opportunity to use a

power tower, and perhaps because of that,

have never really seen a need or a desire to

get one.

The SR20/22 are fairly light planes. Pardon

my ignorance, but “why bother?”

(No I am not trying to be a twit, I really

just don’t know.)

Hello Paul,

The main reason for the power tow discussion is for hangaring the aircraft with only a few INCHES clearance from each wingtip. In other words, light aircraft or not, if you have a slight incline into your hangar, or if it’s a day where there is ice around the hangar entry and a snow shovel won’t remove it all, then you either take a little “run and go” to get sufficient momentum to get the aircraft into the hangar, or you use some powered help.

Personally I’m familiar with several hangars where it will not be reasonable to try to run the SR20/22 in, most people simply can not control the tow bar, with 4 or 5 inch lateral precision, with one hand, while pushing the a/c “uphill” at a slight run.

How much clearance will you have?

get one.

just don’t know.)

Ahh, the light goes on… thanks!

With no much space at the wing tips I would suggest to use a winch, they are slow and you may be able to guide witht the tow bar much better then gettiing a running start with the power tow. I use the power tow backing a Cheyenne and when you turn the the power tow just a little the tail goes a long ways. I would be very careful in small quarters. Winch is my suggestions. Have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

Hello Paul,

The main reason for the power tow discussion is for hangaring the aircraft with only a few INCHES clearance from each wingtip. In other words, light aircraft or not, if you have a slight incline into your hangar, or if it’s a day where there is ice around the hangar entry and a snow shovel won’t remove it all, then you either take a little “run and go” to get sufficient momentum to get the aircraft into the hangar, or you use some powered help.

Personally I’m familiar with several hangars where it will not be reasonable to try to run the SR20/22 in, most people simply can not control the tow bar, with 4 or 5 inch lateral precision, with one hand, while pushing the a/c “uphill” at a slight run.

get one.

just don’t know.)

I have no trouble moving N163CD with the tow bar. Also, I find it quite easy to pull the airplane out of my T-hanger. However, pushing her the last few feet into the hanger is another story. The horizontal stab. has very little clearance; moving the tow-bar to adjust the nose wheel causes the tail to move sideways several inches. The last few feet must be taken slow and careful with very small corrections to avoid brushing the tail against the side of the hagar. I don’t see how a power tow or dragger would help. The winch idea sounds interesting. How should the winch be rigged? I wonder if wheel tracks would help?

Bill Graham

With no much space at the wing tips I would suggest to use a winch, they are slow and you may be able to guide witht the tow bar much better then gettiing a running start with the power tow. I use the power tow backing a Cheyenne and when you turn the the power tow just a little the tail goes a long ways. I would be very careful in small quarters. Winch is my suggestions. Have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

Hello Paul,

get one.

just don’t know.)