Training for Cirrus pilots

Is there, or will there be a training/learning class for higher (1000+ hrs time in type) Cirrus pilots? I live and work out of Orlando Florida and would like to attend some classes on advanced level (Cirrus oriented) studies. I feel that a class focused on scenario based learning or IFR advanced level decision making would be a highly valuable asset to have in my “bag of tricks”. Does anyone know of anything like this? Or is this something that I should consider starting (with a little help from the local FSDO and Cirrus)? I have attended several classes of late, but all seem to be focused primarily at lower (> 200 hrs TT) time pilots. Although this type of training is highly recommended for those that are of that time, I feel that it is unwise of us to forget about those of us who make this (flying Cirrus) our living…I would appreciate any input in this matter. Thanks

Yes, COPA provides the Cirrus Pilot Proficiency Program (CPPP) especially for high-time Cirrus pilots. The weekend event includes 6 hours of flight instruction by one of the most-experienced Cirrus instructors around and most attendees learn something new from these sessions. The CPPP also presents 15 hours of ground instruction in a wide variety of Cirrus-specific topics from avionics to engine management to weather to aeronautical decision-making. You can register for flight+ground or just ground-only sessions.

While the CPPP is Cirrus-specific and fills the need for experienced Cirrus pilots (many CPPP attendees return annually), we get rave reviews from the occasional student pilot, VFR-only pilots and transitioning pilots. The flexibility of the CPPP instructors makes this program effective for the variety of Cirrus pilots who attend. The discussions seem to always be interesting and stimulating.

Patrick, since you just recently joined COPA (March 2009) yet you fly a Cirrus for a living, I strongly encourage you to talk to a few other pilots who combine your experience with your desire to learn. Trip Taylor and Eddie Benson come to mind. Other CPPP instructors would be happy to discuss your needs, such as Matt Swart in the Florida area. Search for them in the COPA members directory.

Finally, please consider joining us at the CPPP in Atlanta on May 1. I guarantee that it will surprise you with the high level of intensity for Cirrus pilots.

Cheers
Rick

p.s. I chair the CPPP program for COPA and would be happy to discuss it further. Click on my name above and start a private discussion, if you like.

Thank you for answering me in this matter! I will strongly urge the owners of our aircraft to allow me to attend. As my flight schedule is normally booked several weeks in advance, I believe they will have sufficient time to schedule this. Also, please have a look at the e-mail i sent you…i realize that some of the information i provided in that has now been answered, there are still some things that i would like to discuss. Such as a sim program aimed at CDM and awareness…this could be a benificial addition to what appears to be an excellent program. I hope to join in ATL for the CPPP, and hope that one day I may even be able to assist in such a program.

Pat

Indeed, the efforts of COPA reach far and wide! [;)]

And the use of simulators is a hot topic in the CPPP community, especially since there will be one at Atlanta for use by CPPP participants. See the registration page for more information. Of course, simulators are available for training at both Simtrain locations and Frasca locations.

Cheers
Rick

I have used Frasca…not impressed! I recieved my training at a part 141 school that really stressed the use of sims (unfortunately the Frasca), and then as a practicing CFI i had the misfortune of using them again…how is the Simtrain in comparison?

Are you talking about Frasca Cirrus sim? Or a Frasca Cessna sim? Or something else?

As for the Simtrain, foremost it is a full-motion simulator. That has been validated by several very experienced Cirrus instructors and they report that the dynamics are good.

Next, the Simtrain instructors I’ve dealt with are also very seasoned Cirrus instructors, so the pre-brief and de-briefing sessions are important Cirrus-specific sessions.

Finally, the Simtrain scenarios are derived to deal with Cirrus procedures and issues arising from Cirrus accidents. Hence there is an intent to provide relevant experiences.

However, I’m a fan of Cirrus simulators for recurrency training, especially at Cirrus Pilot Proficiency Program weekends.

Cheers
Rick

Thanks! the Frasca that i have used is the Frasca 141…it is old and no better than sitting behind a computer with Microsoft Flight Sim. I am still working on getting to the Seminar with my good friend and follow pilot (William), does the cost of the Seminar (with Sim training) cover the hotel?

Nevermind…i just got to the part where it says that registration does NOT cover lodging…still working on approval for aircraft use. We will most likely do the ground and sim due to the fact that we can be chalenged with situations in the sim that are just not safe to try in the plane.

Patrick,

Things have improved just a bit since then. [;)] The bottom picture is the Avidyne setup. The Perspective setup looks amazing! Both have wraparound visuals.

Frasca 141

!(Student Achievement – Transportation Studie Activities/AWS Frasca 141 Simulator -3.jpg)

Frasca Level 6 FTD

Just noticed that you have registered for the KRYY CPPP in Atlanta. Thanks.

We’re still looking for more participants as we have the capacity to grow the event and believe that more Cirrus pilots will be safer after spending the weekend on Cirrus-specific recurrency training. Spread the word!

Cheers
Rick

The best Cirrus simulator I have used is the Frasca Perspective at Cirrus. Multiple projectors displaying an image on a distant curved screen. A cabin mock-up that even includes portions of the wing. You can look out the side and down below the wing and see an image of the ground. It doesn’t move but it felt like it did. As for SimTrain, it is MUCH better than the typical flight school simulators.

Paul

Hi Rick,

I live in South Africa- own a Cirrus SR 22 - will be coming over to Atlanta with my wife for the CPPP program - registered last week. Really looking forward to the exposure and the engine management lectures. I have only booked the ground course for now. Maybe i will be lucky enough to be able to organize a local flight with someone- this would really make our trip. Anyway- hope to see everyone there!!

cheers

Chris.

Chris, you will certainly be a leading contender for the Magellan prize – the farthest travelled to attend the Atlanta CPPP!

I know that Christian Cherniak, the C3PO (CPPP organizer), has your request and is hopeful that we can accommodate your desires. We expect that you can either arrange a ride-along during a flight segment or arrange a flight after the CPPP concludes on Sunday mid-afternoon.

Yet another service of the COPA volunteer community!

Cheers
Rick

Hi Rick,

The flight request is really a “nice to have” - if it works out well great - but we are thoroughly looking forward to attending the CPPP!! We have a number of Cirrus aircraft in SA but lack the scale and exposure you have in the USA! Look forward to meeting everyone there!

cheers

Chris.