training

My plane will be delivered in 7 weeks. Does anyone have any comments or experience relative to taking one or two extra days of Instrument and Avionics flying skill enhancement training from a CD instructor?

I remember 7 weeks ago asking the same question. I had thought about getting additional instrument training while in Duluth last week, but decided that I would continue flying VFR for a while until I felt like an integral part of the SR22 (and to work out any bugs). My total flight training time was 10 hrs to satisfy Cirrus and my insurance requirements. Because of weather, I had to do 7.5hrs in one day. (Stalls, instrument approaches 30 T&Gs, etc) When we got back to the hotel, my wife gave me two beers, a salad and I crashed!

I initially planned for 4 days of training per the Cirrus training matrix (I had zip time in high performance) but found the SR22 a dream to fly. To me the main difference in transitioning to the SR22 was on Touch and Go practices. You have to pay lots of attention to the right rudder. Otherwise landing techniques with the SR22 were very similar to my old Warrior.

My instructor (Russ Rothe) was fantastic!

Keep counting the days!

Walt N224AZ

Where will you be based? The Cirrus Pilot Proficiency Program (CPPP) will provide some of this kind of training (ground and flight). Take a look at the COPA site for the details.

It pays to be aware of how Cirrus charges for training. (I got a bit of a rude surprise when the invoice showed up after I got back home.) Any day in which you see the instructor 0 to 4 hours counts as a half day. Any day in which you see the instructor more than 4 hours counts as a full day. This includes factory tours, etc. and applies to the 2 days of Cirrus included training as well as additional training. So, in a bad case, someone who needed ten hours for insurance and ended up flying one hour per day for 10 days because of weather or repairs could end up paying $4000 or so. Cirrus training is excellent (from my experience and that of many others), but very expensive. --Frank

Buy the extra training. You’ll be glad you did! (I took an extra 1.5 days training and wished I had scheduled another day!) Caveate: Before you go to Duluth, make up a goals list of what you want to learn. Go over it with your assigned instructor once you get there and use it to make up a training syllabus. Having expert help with the avionics transition, in an IFR / IMC training environment, will make you MUCH more comfortable, relaxed, and proficient in your new Cirrus!

I understood the CPPP was designed and intended for pilots with 50+ hours and not an initial training ground. I am planning on taking it in the fall in Newburgh (or whereever it is finally located) and hope to have my initial 50by then. Pick up my 22 on the 25th.
Richard

Good deal, Richard. Hope to see you there!