Throttle harder to move through the detent

100 hours on the SR20 in the last couple of months and while the autopilot STILL isn’t fixed (been replaced twice) and now the transponder is acting up (I guess no surprise huh?), the throttle is starting to be difficult to move through the detent. Anyone else had this problem? Our service center says they hadn’t and will call Cirrus, but I thought I’d ask here to see what you may have done. No major complaints though, the plane is great!

Thanks!

Derek

Absolutely the same on our SR20. After hitting the 100 hour mark (about 3 months ago) the detent became much more noticable, however so far we didn’t find it disturbing yet. BTW, we also have an autopilot problem (the aileron oscillation one) and the aircraft is at the shop right now for the annual and I hope they got it fixed.
Interesting how similar our aircraft are!

Best regards,
Philipp

We exactly the same problem at about 75 hours. The first thing we tried was lubricating the throttle cable and that fixed the problem temporarily. The final fix was the replacement of the throttle cable. It was suspected that the original cable was somehow bent during installation. It works fine now, but the detent is is still noticeable when you pass it.

Mr. Rowan
The problem with the throttle detent becoming harder is that the cable that runs through the tube gets gummed up and needs to be pulled and cleaned. If you get a chance, spray some silicone spray on the cable and work the throttle a bit untill it works free. This seems to work pretty good for us at the shop.

jim

N84MR had the sticky-detent problem fixed at around 150 hours. Cirrus unhesitatingly provided a new throttle cam mechanism, and my Authorised Service Center installed it… then reported that it didn’t seem to make a lot of difference. Lubing the throttle cable did. All I know is that after I got it back, the throttle was silky smooth.

Now, at 391 hours, the callouses are just beginning to wear off the palm of my right hand… and the problem has returned. I think that this time, we’ll lube the throttle cable first…

In other N84MR news, landing light #3 just expired after over 355 hours of faithful service. I think I’ll have it embalmed.

Mike.

Wacky! Sounds like a possible design issue.

SR22 #41 960cm 125 hrs. I had to replace the entire throttle linkage because of the detent. It works great now but my technicians said the problem was with Cirrus’s design and will need to be changed. He also said that the condition can be dangerous( no control of mp or rpm). I suggest if any body has this problem they fix it!!

I suggest they redesign with SEPARATE throttle and prop levers. Is the single lever with its complicated linkage and lack of flexibility really a cockpit workload reducer. I never found separate controls very difficult

I’ve had my throttle lever and prop linkage replaced twice - first at 75 hrs, second at around 275 hrs. I just went over 400 hrs recently and I can feel it “sticking” at the detent again.
In my case, the problem has been with the bearing mechanism that rides inside the track on the lower portion of the throttle lever. I’m not sure what the casing material of the bearing is made of (plastic or silicone?) but it essentially wears out, or as my A&P put it, it disintegrates. When the bearing wears out, the throttle/prop lever binds. In my case, the throttle control cable was fine (ie no binding) though the first time it happened Cirrus had us replace the prop controller cable. We didn’t bother the second time because it was obvious that the bearing had disintegrated again.
Cirrus is well aware that there’s an issue to address here. My first discussions with Mike Busch on the problem were over a year ago.

n520mz writes:
I suggest a redesign to SEPARATE prop and throttle levers…

Why would you want to go back to separate prop and throttle controls? I think this is one of those items that continues to move GA technology forward, which hasn’t happened in GA in 50 years until Cirrus. I can’t wait til FADEC is well accepted. No more Mixture too, just a single lever. Fuel efficiency and great performance. That’s cool…

Chris

Fadec is a technological leap forward. Electronic control of prop pitch would be a technological leap forward. Fly by wire would be a technological leap forward. Pushing a lever that mechanically opens the throttle for part of its travel then mechanically adjusts the prop pitch for the next part is about as technologically advanced as the choke control on your average lawnmower.

Plus from the above posts, the Rube Goldberg mechanism Cirrus designed doesn’t work too well.

mdz

Snicker. Now that you mention it, the whole plane is kinda like a riding lawnmower. A spinning blade, an aircooled engine, fiberglass body. Better avionics than the average Lawnboy, though.

For a different perspective on technology and people, read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by Pirsig. He has an interesting perspective on the question “Why does my brand new high-tech machine need ‘kluges’”.

-Mike

1 Like