75 hour status

At shutdown today, N84MR had 75.7 hours on the hour meter. In just over a week from now, it will go into my local friendly Authorized Cirrus Service Center for it’s first visit.

Here’s my punch-list:

-Oil change #2 (no more straight mineral). First oil change was at 33 hours (est. 30 hours tach time).

[The shop is recommending that I use AVBLEND. Does anyone have any experience/comments on this?]

-Pilot seat reluctant to lock into position.

-Adjust HSI flux gate for better correspondence between HSI and compass.

-Modify transponder antenna ground plane.

-Check roll servo - possible wiring fault. Working OK now, but first STEC 55 died, and STEC suspects that the roll servo may have caused its demise.

-Fix small area on cowling where the paint did not “take” properly.

-A couple of other simple cosmetic items.

I’m thinking of asking them to do a “mini-100-hour inspection”. It will co$t, but then this is still a new airplane, and I’m not sure what might be lurking. Any thoughts?

• Mike.

What’s that one all about?

Just hit 80 hours, and here are my plans:

• oil change #2, like you.

• replace landing light #1. (Mine failed just yesterday – was OK on preflight during the daytime, was out when I tried to land in the dark. Disorienting for a second but no big problem. I gather that 80 hours is relatively long life for these things.)

• I also have the HSI/compass mismatch when “slaved.” HSI consistently reads 10 degrees too low. Think I will just let this go till I can get the plane to Duluth in the summer. Handle it by checking the HSI with compass every 15 minutes.

• I snapped the sun visor in half when reaching down to adjust it – apparently the pivot rod benefits from lubrication. Getting new visor.

• A tiny (2") spring, visible when you open the cowl hatch to check the oil, broke off from its forward attach point. Has no apparent function in normal flight – is meant to keep the throttle partly open if the normal control linkages would break. Will get a new spring.

No problems with engine, control surfaces, wings, prop, Garmins, etc.

just fyi.

At shutdown today, N84MR had 75.7 hours on the hour meter. In just over a week from now, it will go into my local friendly Authorized Cirrus Service Center for it’s first visit.

Here’s my punch-list:

-Oil change #2 (no more straight mineral). First oil change was at 33 hours (est. 30 hours tach time).

[The shop is recommending that I use AVBLEND. Does anyone have any experience/comments on this?]

-Pilot seat reluctant to lock into position.

-Adjust HSI flux gate for better correspondence between HSI and compass.

-Check roll servo - possible wiring fault. Working OK now, but first STEC 55 died, and STEC suspects that the roll servo may have caused its demise.

-Fix small area on cowling where the paint did not “take” properly.

-A couple of other simple cosmetic items.

I’m thinking of asking them to do a “mini-100-hour inspection”. It will co$t, but then this is still a new airplane, and I’m not sure what might be lurking. Any thoughts?

• Mike.

What’s that one all about?

Gary,

See the thread beginning with Loss of transponder signal Thu Mar 15 10:38:36 2001 below.

The new info is that I discussed this issue with someone at CD, and was told that it is probably a problem with the transponder antenna ground-plane; they will step the A&P through the “check/repair procedure”. This is the one explanation that makes sense to me.

• Mike.