SR22

I understand theat Cirrus is accepting $15,000 refundable deposits on the SR22! They’re talking first delivery in 2001.

this sounds familiar, but if you’re interested they issues you a certificate which entitles you to a position number. They are not issueing contracts at this point, but from experience it sounds like these new certificates will have a similar affect as the original contracts we all signed ont he SR20.

I understand theat Cirrus is accepting $15,000 refundable deposits on the SR22! They’re talking first delivery in 2001.

this sounds familiar, but if you’re interested they issues you a certificate which entitles you to a position number. They are not issueing contracts at this point, but from experience it sounds like these new certificates will have a similar affect as the original contracts we all signed ont he SR20.

Is Cirrus putting out any specs or details about the SR22? Performance estimates? etc.???

I have SR22 position number 16, which Cirrus tells me will result in an aircraft in 2032 :-).

The performance numbers are estimated at 190-200 kts, but more like 15 gph. If Cirrus does not put speed brakes on this puppy, I will. I have a hard enough time slowing down my bird!

Best regards

Christopher N20CD

Is Cirrus putting out any specs or details about the SR22? Performance estimates? etc.???

This is from a couple years back…

larger engine

280 hp TCM IO-550 engine

increased air speed to 180 knots (200 mph)

then mention of continued performance increases…

possible future retractable gear etc.

generating speeds of 200 knots (230 mph)

and even possible cabin pressurization

I’ve heard that they’re using a IO-550 engine which should have performance slightly better than the Lancair, due to the SR22’s smaller size and weight. They’ve added about a foot into each wing in the area of the fuel tank, increasing the wingspan to about 38". (This is getting tight for many hangers which tend to be 40’.) The fuel capacity due to the wing plugs will be about 85 gallons.

The 'chute will be about the same as it was certified to a significantly higher gross weight than necessary for the SR20. Take off and climb in the prototype are significantly better than the SR20’s numbers, presumably because of the longer wings and increased HP. Cabin size and layout should be very about the same if not identical to the SR20. Hope they include speed brakes.

I think this is what you meant, but just to be clear, here’s what I understand about the SR22 versus any model after that:

• The SR22 is a “near term” (remember, we’re talking the Cirrus schedule here), “close to production” (ditto) follow-on to the SR20, whose single crucial difference is the more powerful engine. I had heard 300hp for the engine, rather than 280. In any case, it’s 40 or 50 per cent more hp than for the SR20. The only other changes in the SR22, as I understand them, would be such structural adjustments as dictated by the engine change. When I was in Duluth, I saw what I believe was a version of such a plane that had already flown – a SR20 body with a bigger engine bolted in. When I asked about it, I didn’t get any specifics about projected speed – or price.
    My understanding is that when the SR22 is in production, then people who’ve put down deposits for the SR20 will be able to choose what kind of plane they actually want, when their number comes up. A ticket in the SR20 queue, as I understand it, is really a ticket in the overall Cirrus purchase line. Ie, if you’re already close enough to delivery that you’ve made a lot of decisions about your specific SR20, you wouldn’t be able to switch. But if you’re just beginning the detailed-specs process and they haven’t started building your plane, you could go the SR22 route if it were attractive to you. This is me talking, not the Cirrus sales force – so I could have misunderstood this. On the other hand, here’s why it would be logical for them to adopt this policy: as a higher-priced plane, the SR22 would presumably offer Cirrus higher profit-per-unit, so they’d be happy for people to switch.

• I think all the other stuff – retractable gear, jet engines, you name it – is for projects that exists as gleams in the Klapmeier brothers’ eyes, and probably exist as drawings and spec sheets too, but are much farther down the pike.
    Jim Fallows

My understanding is that when the SR22 is in production, then people who’ve put down deposits for the SR20 will be able to choose what kind of plane they actually want, when their number comes up. A ticket in the SR20 queue, as I understand it, is really a ticket in the overall Cirrus purchase line. Ie, if you’re already close enough to delivery that you’ve made a lot of decisions about your specific SR20, you wouldn’t be able to switch. But if you’re just beginning the detailed-specs process and they haven’t started building your plane, you could go the SR22 route if it were attractive to you. This is me talking, not the Cirrus sales force – so I could have misunderstood this. On the other hand, here’s why it would be logical for them to adopt this policy: as a higher-priced plane, the SR22 would presumably offer Cirrus higher profit-per-unit, so they’d be happy for people to switch.

I do KNOW that Cirrus is issuing “Certificates” for SR22 positions, so if you or any other SR20 position holder is interested in converting to the 22, I’d call up and talk to the sales staff. During my conversation, they made noe representations about converting from one to the other. they very well may, but if you’re at all concerned about your postition number on the 22, I call sooner.

Thanks for the info. You know, it’s an interesting conceptual question: If Cirrus has someone who on Day X puts down a deposit for a SR22, and someone else who might be intersted in a SR22, but who put down a deposit for the SR20 two years before Day X and has waited “patiently” since then, with money in Cirrus’s hands, who comes first in line?

For me it’s likely to remain a conceptual rather than an immediate practical question. As I understand it, the SR20 will continue to be positioned as the “bargain” offering, with better value-for-$ equation than the 22. A “bargain” airplane is enough of a stretch for me. As with luxury auto lines, and indeed as with planes, a Y% increase in speed will naturally come with a greater-than-Y% increase in price. Mainly I hope that both of these planes start pouring off the line. Jim Fallows

Jim —

Sounds cool!

With that additional horsepower, why not do a six-placer? Bonanza is walking away with the market . . . and they’ve scarcely improved their product for 18 years.

RK

I do KNOW that Cirrus is issuing “Certificates” for SR22 positions, so if you or any other SR20 position holder is interested in converting to the 22, I’d call up and talk to the sales staff. During my conversation, they made noe representations about converting from one to the other. they very well may, but if you’re at all concerned about your postition number on the 22, I call sooner.

RKarlgaard says:

With that additional horsepower, why not do a six-placer?<<

Sounds fine to me,and from what I can tell they are entertaining all kinds of future possibilities – jets, you name it. But I gather that everyone realizes that offering a variety of follow-on models depends on having something to follow, so the priority for now is getting those cute little SR20s out the door. Jim Fallows