SR22

I’m staying with the SR20 and putting the difference into a hanger. Has anyone heard when or what number the new cowling/landing light combination will be on? Also, is everyone being offered GPS steering and a new transponder or just the new sign ups?

When a bought an earlier contract a few months ago(#373 – since sold) I found that it was NOT upgradable to the new transponder or GPSS – at least not by Cirrus. You got the equipment that was on the original contract. Period.

As I said, that was several months ago. Things may have changed in the meantime.

Joe Mazza

(Former position holder)

I’m staying with the SR20 and putting the difference into a hanger. Has anyone heard when or what number the new cowling/landing light combination will be on? Also, is everyone being offered GPS steering and a new transponder or just the new sign ups?

All SR22’s will have GPSS and 327 Transponder. That upgrade is being built into the $65,000 conversion price. For those of us late position holders who have an SR20 base price of $188,300 those two upgrades are already built into the price of the SR20. Therefore, there is a credit of some $1200 on the conversion price for those positions.

I’m not sure the position holders are getting a “Pre-introductory” deal that is sweet enough to justify giving us only two weeks to make the decision. I for one am having a hard time deciding which a/c will meet my needs 21 months from now when my delivery position arrives. I don’t think I want to tie up another $15,000 for that length of time. Besides, maybe the turbo diesel will be available on the SR20 by 5/2002.

I’m not sure the position holders are getting a “Pre-introductory” deal that is sweet enough to justify giving us only two weeks to make the decision. I for one am having a hard time deciding which a/c will meet my needs 21 months from now when my delivery position arrives.

I think you have more than 2 weeks. At this point, all you have to do is express interest by Monday October 2. This is non-committal. Upon receipt of your positive reply to CD, they will send out a supplimental package with additional information and a firm contract. Response to this is required by October 16, which, I think, gives most of us around 4 weeks total to decide.

Clearly the '22 seems to be a good plane. I wish I could at least see and sit in it if not fly it, or have hears some independent comments on its flight characteristics. On the other hand, $65K is a lot of money for the performance increases and modest avionics improvements. (Not that many on this site haven’t been yearning for both.)

To me, it’s always been a usefull load issue. comparing 535 lbs +/- of UF w/FF (payload) to about 650 - 670 lbs means the difference between a good 2 person traveling airplane to one that is capable of carrying 2 couples. Assume that most of us don’t like to fly more than 3 - 3 1/2 hours without stopping (that’s what my wife tells me MY personal limits are, anyway) the '22 still gives 2 couples [2 couples w/baggage = 700 lbs] a 525 - 550 NM comfortable flying range with reserves. The '20’s range is more like 325 - 350 NM’s.

I think on most flights the speed difference is not a big issue. You will probably find that on most flights under 2 - 2 1/2 hours, the difference doesn’t add up to the cost. The avionics are definately nice and some of which, I may have upgraded anyway.

The choice, of course, is yours. but viva la choice! As someone else said, look at how you intend to fly the plane most of the time and see which one fits your needs and budget better.

Now can we all start whining about speed brakes and the ARNAV interphases/functionality!

Marty