SR22 Sighting

Hey SR20 Position Holders,

I just flew to Duluth the week before last and I saw test flights being taken in an SR22! (well sort-of)

Actually, it was an SR20 test plane outfitted with wing tip extensions and a 310hp engine (I believe an IO550). To the best of my knowledge that’s all an SR22 really is anyway.

I was pretty excited, and actually talked to the Test Pilot who acknowledged what was going on. In fact everyone from line workers to Alan K. himself seemed really excited about the SR22 project.

As far as the rest of the factory tour, well it and every single employee I spoke with was very impressive! I think that Cirrus Design is a great company, with great people, top-to-bottom. I believe that if they can just get through the next year, financially, there will be no stopping them. I am seriously considering investing in the Company. What they have accomplished thus far in my mind anyway is nothing short of monumental.

Anyway, I feel better than ever about the Company and my Position.

Bill Cooper

So why don’t they call it the SR31? I hope its full-fuel cabin payload is a significant notch up from the SR20–that would be my only temptation to consider “moving up.”

This is harder to achieve than most people realize: bigger engine (more weight); more fuel needed for the same or longer range (more weight); beefier structure to support the engine and fuel loads (more weight); longer wings (more weight); maybe heftier CAPS (more weight). This is the problem that makes aircraft/rocket engineers wake up screaming in the middle of the night. And I personally experience it every year during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

Actually, it was an SR20 test plane outfitted with wing tip extensions and a 310hp engine (I believe an IO550). To the best of my knowledge that’s all an SR22 really is anyway.

An SR22 can be a more efficient aircraft than the SR20 from several factors.

The IO360 and the IO550 have similar overhaul costs after 2000 hours but the higher speed of the SR22 will have taken you 50,000 miles further.

In the SR22 a 600 nm trip at high cruise would burn 13 more gallons but save a half hour.

The airframe is certified for 12,000 hours which comes to about $20/hr, so if your time is worth $40/hr the extra $30 worth of gas and 30 minutes saved are a wash.

The SR22 consistently run at 55% power should have direct operating costs similar to the SR20 at 75% power while carrying a higher load at a slightly faster speed.

The SR22 leaned at 55% power could cruise climb more efficiently than the SR20 which would be at a richer higher percent power for a slower speed.

A similarly equipped SR22 should cost about $20k more but I’d bet on about a $40k to $50k premium.

The price difference may be maintained in the residual value for years to come.

Certainly an SR22 for $270k would be a far better value than any other large piston engine aircraft out there.

If I don’t have to sell my home to step up I may be able to rationalize my way to the SR22.

Anyone with an early SR22 position interested in a trade for an SR20 with 50+ hours availabile immediately?

So why don’t they call it the SR31? I hope its full-fuel cabin payload is a significant notch up from the SR20–that would be my only temptation to consider “moving up.”

This is harder to achieve than most people realize: bigger engine (more weight); more fuel needed for the same or longer range (more weight); beefier structure to support the engine and fuel loads (more weight); longer wings (more weight); maybe heftier CAPS (more weight). This is the problem that makes aircraft/rocket engineers wake up screaming in the middle of the night. And I personally experience it every year during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

Doug–you make some interesting points which I hadn’t considered. I think that some of them could even make it onto the “Lines that work on spouses” list. :slight_smile:

Certainly an SR22 for $270k would be a far better value than any other large piston engine aircraft out there.

No argument on this point. Even the Columbia 300 is still $20-30K more. If CD can profitably price the SR22 (I still am curious about the rationale for the designation!) this much below the Columbia, it would be a great move.

However, it’s still somewhat like saying, “Certainly a 3-bedroom, 1300 sq. ft. house in Silicon Valley for $600,000 is a far better value than any other 3 bedroom Silicon Valley house out there.” A true statement, but cripes it’s still a cottage for $600,000! I hope CD will price as aggressively as reasonable, forward-looking business sense will allow. I would love to see them instantly dominate the single-engine market and have the stodgy Old Economy manufacturers like Cessna, Piper, Mooney, & Socata flailing from their heels. CD is already bringing some new customers into GA who would have never previously considered buying a plane–especially a new one. The more aggressive their pricing, the more this will happen, to the benefit of all in general aviation.

By the way, even with DSL I have been experiencing longer downloads of the forum and the cute little icons do not reliably show up any more. Is it just me and my equipment, or something else? Hoping for enlightenment from our outstanding webmaster…

Kevin

Kevin, you’re right - I never would have bought a new aircraft from the pre-Cirrus market.

Doug–you make some interesting points which I hadn’t considered. I think that some of them could even make it onto the “Lines that work on spouses” list. :slight_smile:

No argument on this point. Even the Columbia 300 is still $20-30K more. If CD can profitably price the SR22 (I still am curious about the rationale for the designation!) this much below the Columbia, it would be a great move.

However, it’s still somewhat like saying, “Certainly a 3-bedroom, 1300 sq. ft. house in Silicon Valley for $600,000 is a far better value than any other 3 bedroom Silicon Valley house out there.” A true statement, but cripes it’s still a cottage for $600,000! I hope CD will price as aggressively as reasonable, forward-looking business sense will allow. I would love to see them instantly dominate the single-engine market and have the stodgy Old Economy manufacturers like Cessna, Piper, Mooney, & Socata flailing from their heels. CD is already bringing some new customers into GA who would have never previously considered buying a plane–especially a new one. The more aggressive their pricing, the more this will happen, to the benefit of all in general aviation.

By the way, even with DSL I have been experiencing longer downloads of the forum and the cute little icons do not reliably show up any more. Is it just me and my equipment, or something else? Hoping for enlightenment from our outstanding webmaster…

Kevin