SR21

I’m learning to fly in an ancient C172, but not letting that put me off. However, I aspire to flying the latest technology, when I get my license. Looking to the future, leaded fuel can only get more expensive and and antisocial, so I’d rather have an economical engine that burns diesel/jetfuel, such as the SMA 305.

The web site for the UK dealer for Cirrus (www.cirrusaircraft.co.uk/products.htm) lists the SR21 as a product in the development stage, for which they are accepting deposits. However, there is no mention of this aircraft at cirrusdesign.com, so can anyone in the know shed any light on its status?

Thanks,
Keith MacDonald

At informal meetings, this question has been asked of Cirrus.
The answer is the following;
They have been approached by multiple folks trying to “sell” them new technology. Cirrus is the first to say that the "oldest’ technology in the plane IS the engine. having said that, finding something better has not been easy. The attempts to “turbo” an engine have been unrewarding to date and the SMA diesel has yet to prove its utlity and is a lot more expensive. I am not sure at this date what the conclusion is at Cirrus regarding this particular engine. Probable will get an update at the AOPA meetings in October.
But, for now, Cirrus is looking at alternate engine systems with no clear “shining star” as yet.
That is all I know about this at this time.

I´m from Spain, and also concerned about 100LL in Europe.
I asked directly to Cirrus US, and they told me they are working into newer technologyes and alternatives for engine.
I read also a prototyte of SR21 is NOW at SMA (the engine developer) in France.

So i guess is a matter of time that they launch it, even i think they will not announce until they have most issues closed, in order not to stop sales of actual models.

For Europe, i think SR21 can be top seller.

javier

Keith,
Alan Klapmeier of Cirrus hints as to the current status of the SR21tdi at the end of a recent interview, available http://aero-news.net/news/genav.cfm?ContentBlockID=7d644493-4af9-45da-89ac-c4fcb2e5c6e5&Dynamic=1here.
You might contact my friend Ian Valentine at http://www.cirrus147.com/FreeFlight Aviation Ltd in Denham, as they intend to take delivery of an SR21tdi and so should be more au courant as to the status of this worthy project.

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks Brian.

I wonder if Cirrus know that their UK dealer is apparently taking deposits on this virtual aircraft?

Keith

Keith:
You would have to ask Cirrus that question directly. There has been NO offer for a diesel in the US but the subject has come up with my last answer as the result. Maybe it is a different story for Europe but I doubt it!

I know they had a Diesel Cirrus when I was there in March, at least I know it was NOT a normal 20 or 22.
So they are working on something.

You need to look at Diamonds DA 40 and DA 42 – they are both advanced planes and doing an excellent job with diesels. If you look at their site there is an article on fuel consumption of their twin the DA 42 crossing the Atlantic. In brief cutting to cruise speed back to 151 Kts the DA 42 was burning slightly more than 4 gallons of jet fuel per hour.

All very interesting stuff.

What would people think of a Turbine Cirrus?

Roger,

a year ago when i was at The factory, on the sales board in the office were 34 deposits for the 21 and four for the SRV.

having this aircraft must be a priority for them lam happy to wait as long as it takes i am sure nothing will be announced until Cirrus have it perfected that could be short or Long!

we simply cannot afford the fuel costs in Europe to do as much flying as we want!

Fingers crossed!

ian

In reply to:

What would people think of a Turbine Cirrus?

John,
In general, bolting a turbine (turboprop) engine on an airframe originally designed for a piston powerplant is not satisfactory. One issue is that the turbine needs significantly more fuel and you need to find ways to enlarge the tanks or expand their number. Another issue is that turbines are very inefficient at lower altitudes. You really need to consistently get up into the high teens or low twenties for a turbine to make sense. That requires either the essentially continuous use of supplementary oxygen or a pressurized airframe.
The higher power of the average turbine also will require modifications to the airframe and specifically the vertical stabilizer and rudder.
While there may be a turbine powered Cirrus on the drawing boards at Cirrus (I have no idea if there is or isn’t), it would almost certainly be a new airplane, not just a slightly modified 20/22.
Whether I’d be interested depends on cost and performance.

Hi Ian,

I certainly agree that the SR21tdi is worth waiting for!

There’s only so much oil to be had, and the costs of producing it are only going to increase. So our efforts to conserve fuel — including running LOP and going diesel — will become more and more important for our pocketbooks and our planet as time goes by.

Cheers,
Roger