Big Power

You guys out west are spending too much time in the sun. Avionics discussions got just a small amount of threading compared to the linguistic issues.

From the Southern perspective we will just leave it at “Ya’ll look good with them Cirrus their!”

I understand that Cirrus has crow-barred a 300 hp engine in the little SR20 and are flying it around Duluth. Anyone heard or seen anything to confirm?

My very reliable source who I thought had run off to Tahiti with his commision checks (how hard is it to sell an SR20?), is reportedly in Duluth this week and is to fill me in.

Also, for you guys (ya’ll owners) who are actually flying an SR20, how are you slowing down for approaches? My last few flights have ended with a dive bomb to earth after the friendly folks at approach figured I needed to stay on oxygen right up the the last minute. With out a gear to drop and slow me down I swear I think I would still be up there. Any insights??? A faster Cirrus (with a 300 hp engine) isn’t going to help.

With out a gear to drop and slow me down I swear I think I would still be up there. Any insights??? A faster Cirrus (with a 300 hp engine) isn’t going to help.

I sometimes wonder if the combined prop/throttle in the SR20 is such a good idea. Simple, sure, and no need for an endorsement, but it doesn’t give you the option of coming back to full fine pitch to get some extra drag from the prop at low throttle.

Which leads to another question; what do Cirrus say about low-power descents and shock cooling? There are endless arguments about shock cooling, ranging from those who say any engine is susceptible to those who say it’s only an issue for high-power turbo’ed engines. Is there anything in the SR20 POH about it?

I understand that Cirrus has crow-barred a 300 hp engine in the little SR20 and are flying it around Duluth. Anyone heard or seen anything to confirm?

When I was in Duluth in late Sept, I saw this very plane – an otherwise normal-looking SR20 with a more powerful engine up front. I was told that it had flown just a day or two before I saw it, but I saw it only in the factory, not in the air.

With out a gear to drop and slow me down I swear I think I would still be up there. Any insights??? A faster Cirrus (with a 300 hp engine) isn’t going to help.

I sometimes wonder if the combined prop/throttle in the SR20 is such a good idea. Simple, sure, and no need for an endorsement, but it doesn’t give you the option of coming back to full fine pitch to get some extra drag from the prop at low throttle.

Which leads to another question; what do Cirrus say about low-power descents and shock cooling? There are endless arguments about shock cooling, ranging from those who say any engine is susceptible to those who say it’s only an issue for high-power turbo’ed engines. Is there anything in the SR20 POH about it?

The get down slow down problem has been with us for a long time. ATC controlers seem to forget how dificult this manuever is for sleek airplanes. The Gulfstream is very hard to slow down and get down and we have speedbrakes. Although sometimes I think they just make noise. There is one option that light aircraft have that, for various reasons, jets do not. That is the slip. This is a lost art for most of us. I can remember my first instructeor using the slip quite effectively, but then again he also opened the door as a speedbrake. Since opening the door on our Cirrus is probably not a good idea maybe the slip is. Are there any restrictions in slipping the airplane in the POH?