FADEC

Recent correspondence with the folks at FADEC indicate that they are submitting the papers for FAA approval on the IOF-550 in the next two weeks, with approval expected in 30 days.

Recent discussions with Cirrus indicate that they have cooled on the need for FADEC and are in no hurry to get it approved as a SR22 option.

Its time for those of us who really want FADEC to let Cirrus know. If you care about FADEC, call or write them now so that we can get it back on the priority list for the 22.

Its time for those of us who really want FADEC to let Cirrus know. If you care about FADEC, call or write them now so that we can get it back on the priority list for the 22.

I agree. I think the votes that would carry the most weight would be the ones that say “I have/am getting an SR22, and I would buy a FADEC upgrade.”

These votes could help tell CD if it would be worth their while to implement it.

I’m guessing that the FADEC upgrade is a long way from “plug 'n play”, both from an engineering and an SR22 certification/STC point of view.

But, if I were a betting man, I would wager that getting their Euro-diesel to market would sell a lot more airplanes than FADEC. Now that production is ramping up nicely, they’ve got to be thinking about that backlog and how they can keep the pipeline full.

-Mike

I’m writing my letter tonight. 21st century airplane with 19th century ignition system isn’t a Good Thing. It’s in Cirrus’ interest, after all. Buyers will be far less likely to damage engines and suffer premature overhauls.

Gordon

Recent correspondence with the folks at FADEC indicate that they are submitting the papers for FAA approval on the IOF-550 in the next two weeks, with approval expected in 30 days.

Recent discussions with Cirrus indicate that they have cooled on the need for FADEC and are in no hurry to get it approved as a SR22 option.

Pete:
Has Cirrus given any indication of why they are cooling on FADEC? It seems to me that the 10%-15% savings in fuel burn alone would be worth the cost. Not to mention the increased range, easier flight operation, easier starting, cleaner plugs, etc., etc., etc.

Do they know something about Teledyne/Continental/Aerosance or the FADEC system that we don’t? Is there something better coming out in the near future? I don’t mean to imply anything here because I truly don’t know. But I do think for such a “out of the box” thinking company like Cirrus, it’s a rather incredible change of attitude if they truly are cooling off to FADEC.

John

I’d recommend sending your letters/emails to Cirrus’s President, Alan Klapmeier (moverlie@cirrusdesign.com - his assistant’s email address).

Apparently, FADEC affects the wiring harness most, with very minor panel changes (removal of the mixture control, adding a indicator light). The issue is mostly where their priorities are.

Has anyone heard what plans Mooney and Beech have for incorporating FADEC in their IO-550 equipped models?

I got an email from Eagle Aircraft Ltd. saying that they plan to offer FADEC on their IO(F)-240 powered Eagle 150 trainer, later this year.

John

John,

My guess is they are too busy trying to get production up and working on the diesel engines to spend the time and money to certify FADEC at this point.

Jeff

I would strongly reccomend a paper US mailed letter rather than email. It will likely be given much more weight than an email.

My letter went out today.

I’d recommend sending your letters/emails to Cirrus’s President, Alan Klapmeier (moverlie@cirrusdesign.com - his assistant’s email address).

Apparently, FADEC affects the wiring harness most, with very minor panel changes (removal of the mixture control, adding a indicator light). The issue is mostly where their priorities are.