SR20 Delivery

I just got off the phone with my Cirrus sales Rep. It seems that Cirrus’s production is going to be focused on the SR22 until the end of July this year. In August they will start a 50/50 split of 20’s & 22’s off the line.

I asked about the possibility of swapping out the Century HSI for a Sandel unit. I was told that this will/should be possible, but would require the optional 2nd alternator. Since Cirrus is admittingly having problems with the Century units, this would be a nice alternative.

Also mentioned was the fact that so many people are verbally degrading the ARNAV display. My Rep did say that Cirrus is committed to the “Big Display” theory. There was a hint of Cirrus looking into a different display unit of same or close to same proportions.

The big news is that I hold contract number 509. My orginal delivery date was scheduled for December of this year (12/01). Now it has been pushed back to August 2002. So basically an 8 month delay. Am I mad??..NO I am not. Thanks to people in this forum that take time to explain why Cirrus is geared toward the 22 instead of the 20, I am not mad. Just an educated consumer.

Bob #509 Good day, good flying, and be safe.

PS For everybody with numbers close to mine or beyond #509…Repeat after me…I can wait…I can wait…

Don’t get your hopes up. Bruce Gunter told me the same thing this time last year on my demo flight.

Joe Mazza

There was a hint of Cirrus looking into a different display unit of same or close to same proportions [as the ARNAV].

Just finished reading my latest “Alan letter” and I am seriously considering requesting a refund. I didn’t sign a contract to finance CD with a two year interest free $15,000 loan and still get stung with the Consumer Price Index increases only to find that the management at CD has made unrealistic production statements and is unable to produce what was promised. My money and contract was the base from which CD obtained financing to build from and now I find I don’t count any more. It appears the SR22 people are the only ones who really matter.

Early this year I thought about selling my position because I was picking up bits and pieces from this forum that there would be delays in delivery and I needed a second bird at about the time of my scheduled delivery. In fact, plans were made around that date. When I quized CD I was told that the delay “may” be a “month or so” but certainly no longer and I decided I could live with that time line. Now I’m informed it is going to be another six months for delivery with no guarantee that is valid either.

I’m as unhappy now as I was excited when I signed the contract. I felt so strongly about the company that I seriously considered buying some common stock when they were looking for investors to provide the $8 million they needed (according to their prospectus). Perhaps I’m bitter because I don’t like being misled.

Read between the lines in Big A’s letter. My pulling out probably won’t break CD but I hope someone there has a little trouble sleeping at night knowing they have lost my busines and perhaps others as well. I know I’ll sleep well knowing my $15K is parked in my money market while I find another bird. CD may build a good one but there are others out there as well.

Pilots tend to be bigger cry babies than the population at large. If you want your money back, then I’m sure CD will happily give it to you. I dont know what other “bird” you are going to buy that is comparable to the SR20 though in terms of comfort and efficiency and speed. But be my guest and try, it just bumps me up higher.

The reason there is a delay is that the SR20’s are such darn good bargins, that CD cant really make much money selling them. So, they are pushing the higher margin SR22. No duh. You should feel lucky your getting thing at all.

Good things come to those that wait anyway.

David T.

Just finished reading my latest “Alan letter” and I am seriously considering requesting a refund. I didn’t sign a contract to finance CD with a two year interest free $15,000 loan and still get stung with the Consumer Price Index increases only to find that the management at CD has made unrealistic production statements and is unable to produce what was promised.

I too share your feelings. I ordererd a SR20 for Sept 98 delivery in June '97. Then, when the plane was not living up to the promises, I switched to the more capable SR22.

The real question is which way am I better of. I’ve flown SR20’s and heard universally god comments about the SR22’s. The bottom line as I see it, is that for the money (when I placed my contract), the SR’s are the best plane for the money.

Even Cessna/Textron has missed about of their published goal and they have tremendous financial backing. I am sure CD has not delayed things intentionally. (They’re paying a HUGE penalty if they are.) At this point, I can wait out the last month or run.

I hope all works our for you. After waiting over 4 1/2 years, I’ve done the democratic thing and voted with my feet.

Marty SR22 s/n 0017 due 5/8/01

Hello Pilote,

Please fax me 703-486-1130 your info and I will mail you a check for your position right-tha-way so you can start earning interest on your money.

Thanks,

Woor

Just finished reading my latest “Alan letter” and I am seriously considering requesting a refund. I didn’t sign a contract to finance CD with a two year interest free $15,000 loan and still get stung with the Consumer Price Index increases only to find that the management at CD has made unrealistic production statements and is unable to produce what was promised. My money and contract was the base from which CD obtained financing to build from and now I find I don’t count any more. It appears the SR22 people are the only ones who really matter.

Early this year I thought about selling my position because I was picking up bits and pieces from this forum that there would be delays in delivery and I needed a second bird at about the time of my scheduled delivery. In fact, plans were made around that date. When I quized CD I was told that the delay “may” be a “month or so” but certainly no longer and I decided I could live with that time line. Now I’m informed it is going to be another six months for delivery with no guarantee that is valid either.

I’m as unhappy now as I was excited when I signed the contract. I felt so strongly about the company that I seriously considered buying some common stock when they were looking for investors to provide the $8 million they needed (according to their prospectus). Perhaps I’m bitter because I don’t like being misled.

Read between the lines in Big A’s letter. My pulling out probably won’t break CD but I hope someone there has a little trouble sleeping at night knowing they have lost my busines and perhaps others as well. I know I’ll sleep well knowing my $15K is parked in my money market while I find another bird. CD may build a good one but there are others out there as well.

Look on the bright side: your 15K is worth at least 15K today (I’m sure you could find someone to take your position off your hands). If you had put that 15K in the markets, it might be worth half that amount by now. CD saved you a bunch of money!

CD may build a good one but there are others out there as well.

Where are they?

David T. - show me your statistics on pilots being bigger cry babies (or perhaps that’s how you perceive yourself! I understand you can get therapy for that affliction). I won’t waste any further time defending my thoughts and actions to a probable shill for CD.

The reason there is a delay is that the SR20’s are such darn good bargins, that CD cant really make much money selling them. So, they are pushing the higher margin SR22. No duh. You should feel lucky your getting thing at all.

I am starting to suspect the reason there is such a delay is that the SR20 was a bait and switch tactic. They can’t produce them at the price they were sold. If they actually delivered on all of the orders they would be bankrupt. The obvious solution: introduce a more expensive SR22 and keeping slipping delivery of the SR20 until they are converted to SR22’s or canceled. I expect them to do an IPO soon based on the number of current orders so the founders can get out before the public realizes they can’t deliver.

all -22’s in line right now.

No shill Pilote. I’m position holder #771. I dont mind waiting believe it or not. I knew there would be a wait when I plunked the 20k down. So now it’s a year later, big deal. I figure it will take them that long to iron out the bugs anyway. I’ll have a shot at the new avionics, engines, etc. I can rent brand new 182’s until then. I’ll appreciate the SR20 all the more when it finally comes.

David T.

I expect them to do an IPO soon based on the number of current orders so the founders can get out before the public realizes they can’t deliver.

I am absolutely delighted to be the owner of the 108th SR20 they couldn’t deliver!

• Mike.

I am absolutely delighted to be the owner of the 108th SR20 they couldn’t deliver!

Most people at the top of a pyramid scheme feel the same way. Your plane was subsidized by the deposits of the people below you on the pyramid. As the delays increase to unacceptable levels and new people stop entering production will cease and the scheme collapses. Those near the top will benefit, everyone will lose their deposit.

Most people at the top of a pyramid scheme feel the same way. Your plane was subsidized by the deposits of the people below you on the pyramid. As the delays increase to unacceptable levels and new people stop entering production will cease and the scheme collapses. Those near the top will benefit, everyone will lose their deposit.

I’m no economist, but I’m pretty sure that someone who is can point out all the ways that differentiate Cirrus from a pyramid scheme.

That said, I admit to not knowing all the answers; but I have met and spoken with many of the folks at Cirrus, and I feel that they are fundamentally honest and hard working. I would find it tough to believe that they are executing an elaborate plan to rook the public out of their hard-earned cash. [If they are, there are MUCH easier ways to do it.]

Sure, they have mis-stepped; everyone does. I agree that they could be a lot better in certain areas - communications being high on the list. At times, they may have to knowingly make unpopular decisions to ensure that they survive (a prerequisite to prospering).

In many ways, I feel like a party-crasher, because I bought my position from someone who had waited a long time; I had a nearly painless wait. I can’t imagine what it must be like to wait for years and endure those delays and missed deadlines. I can certainly understand that it must be frustrating as hell.

I still admire them for their achievments to date. There’s never any guarantee of success, but as far as I’m concerned, they have shown their mettle by the hurdles they’ve already cleared. If this were a horse-race, I think Cirrus would be the odds-on favorite to win.

Just MHO…

• Mike.