SR 22 Owners Propellor/Tach Questions

How many SR22 Owners have experienced propellor vibrations or Tach/governor problems.

My aircraft (s/n 17) needed an adjustment to the governor. It was nearly 100 RPM low.

I noticed the problem in two ways. First during the runup, the tach never hit 2,000. Secondly, when the RPM leveled off as the trhottle advanced, this should have been at 2,500, but was at 2400.

I checked whether it was the tach or governor by running up to full power on the ground with the brakes on (like a short field technique). The RPM should be 2740. If it is, the Tach is probably accurate.

Marty

Marty,

Our club has an SR22 that has what seem to be propeller vibrations. We haven’t been able to figure out what it is for sure yet. I have not flown it myself since the vibrations appeared, but from other accounts, it is pretty significant. I’ll make a post if I find out what the problem is.

Greg

How many SR22 Owners have experienced propellor vibrations or Tach/governor problems.

My aircraft (s/n 17) needed an adjustment to the governor. It was nearly 100 RPM low.

I noticed the problem in two ways. First during the runup, the tach never hit 2,000. Secondly, when the RPM leveled off as the trhottle advanced, this should have been at 2,500, but was at 2400.

I checked whether it was the tach or governor by running up to full power on the ground with the brakes on (like a short field technique). The RPM should be 2740. If it is, the Tach is probably accurate.

Marty

Marty

Hi Marty

SR 22 number 50 has vibrations.

I tallked with the factory rep’ today about it (rick), he said dynamic balance will not help, However he said they are awere of the problem and they have traced it back to the muffler.

I was told that the muffler is connected directly to the engine with no cushion in between them. Rick said they are working out a solution, but they have many other projects as well.

yours

Moses grad

I just sent the following to Mike Busch, awaiting an answer.

I think there may be a problem with our prop governor. On run-up the RPM drops from 2000 to 1700. Checklist indicates that it should only drop to 1900. Also noticed on a trip to Nantucket last weekend that when the power is pulled back from max takeoff the RPM settles in around 2400 instead of 2500. With that we also noticed a 10 knot difference between the book numbers and the true airspeed. Is this a simple adjustment that can be made or are we looking into something major?

Larry, SR20 - N171CD

Marty

Mine was running rough too. I had it dynamically balanced at Top Gun and it runs fine now.

Rumor has it (?) that Cirrus does not DB the setup since both the prop and the engine are already supposed to be within spec.

I think it makes good sense to test the two together. Mine was much smoother after.

Paul

Mine was running rough too. I had it dynamically balanced at Top Gun and it runs fine now.

Rumor has it (?) that Cirrus does not DB the setup since both the prop and the engine are already supposed to be within spec.

I think it makes good sense to test the two together. Mine was much smoother after.

Paul

I have heard the same rumor. I can’t guarantee that it is true, but I feel confident that it is.

So far this is 3 prop vibrations; 1 maybe; and -0- no problems.

Anyone else?

Marty

Paul

While I was in Duluth, either Mike Busch or Chris Dixon (I forget which one) at Cirrus told me that they do not dynamically balance the prop before delivery. He also said that they are in the process of obtaining a dynamic balancer.

For what it’s worth, a reliable source told me that neither Cessna or Piper balance theirs before shipping.

My SR22 has some vibration at cruise speeds, and I intend to get it balanced.

-Mike

Paul

I have heard the same rumor. I can’t guarantee that it is true, but I feel confident that it is.

So far this is 3 prop vibrations; 1 maybe; and -0- no problems.

Anyone else?

Marty

Paul

Was this covered by warranty? My SR22 doesn’t hit RPM’s at max or at detent (1900) Rick