Serial #1019 Update

When I last checked my plane was scheduled to roll off the production line and have its first test flight on January 3rd (delivery happens a few weeks later). Today’s phone call revealed that that first flight has been pushed back to February 2nd. My hope (and I could be way off base here) is that this delay is to further tweak components based on what they’re learning from the first few planes, and if that’s the case I’m pleased to wait as long as need be.

When I last checked my plane was scheduled to roll off the production line and have its first test flight on January 3rd (delivery happens a few weeks later). Today’s phone call revealed that that first flight has been pushed back to February 2nd. My hope (and I could be way off base here) is that this delay is to further tweak components based on what they’re learning from the first few planes, and if that’s the case I’m pleased to wait as long as need be.

Hm, a one month slip. I wonder how much of that slip they can make up at the back end? I suppose it depends on where the line stops, and what part of the line is the limiting factor in production.

I’m in agreement that it’s better to wait, except that I’m tired of waiting. :wink:

If you get any more info on what’s stalling the line, let us know…

Hm, a one month slip. I wonder how much of that slip they can make up at the back end? I suppose it depends on where the line stops, and what part of the line is the limiting factor in production.

I’m in agreement that it’s better to wait, except that I’m tired of waiting. :wink:

Bummer. Doesn’t look like “one a week” is happening yet.

Have any planes been delivered (customer or demo) since Robin Taylor’s before Thanksgiving?

Bummer. Doesn’t look like “one a week” is happening yet.

Have any planes been delivered (customer or demo) since Robin Taylor’s before Thanksgiving?

I’ve waited a number of times based upon Cirrus’ estimates, and now I don’t have great faith in the newest estimates of when planes will be made at X per day. The only way to determine when cirrus will deliver planes is to watch the hanger door in Duluth. I feel cheated, however, that Cirrus lays down completion dates, misses them, and never acknowledges the mishap or comes clean with the position holders as to what went wrong or where things might be made better. If you sent a package for $15,000.00 and it didn’t arrive on time, UPS could at least tell you where your package was. Cirrus has a website with which they ought to communicate to people to whom they’ve made promises. The last update was November, 1999, and planes are not leaving Duluth every 4th or 5th day, or are they? The only info comes from this network. I thank Clyde a thousand times for this site. I still want a Cirrus, but I’m not happy with the lack of communication from Duluth.

I am almost irrationally enthusiastic observer of, and prospective-purchaser from, the Cirrus company, but I agree that the time has come for them to say something about the production schedule – if not to the world at large, at least to their email list of position holders.

We can all understand: (a) the priority of safe production above all other values; (b) the benefits of including tweaks and improvements from the first few production models; © the difficulty of scaling up production in a hurry; and so on. But it would really help to have some idea of the context of the current one-month slip. Does Cirrus imagine this will be made up shortly? Do they expect it to have a straight linear effect (all dates pushed back a month)? Is there a possibility that it will cascade – a month’s delay for serial #19 meaning two months for #50 and six months for #200 etc? No one can predict the future, but I for one would welcome some official comment from the company.

JimF.

As you know my plane was produced on schedule 22 Nov. It is still in Dulth allthough not for long now and I will shortly feed back to you the problem with thf first ferry and details of the next one. However on production I beleive N126CD is complete and also awaiyong ferry to Europe for a customer in Belgium. As mine was N124CD this would suggest N125CD Is also up and running.

I am almost irrationally enthusiastic observer of, and prospective-purchaser from, the Cirrus company, but I agree that the time has come for them to say something about the production schedule – if not to the world at large, at least to their email list of position holders.

We can all understand: (a) the priority of safe production above all other values; (b) the benefits of including tweaks and improvements from the first few production models; © the difficulty of scaling up production in a hurry; and so on. But it would really help to have some idea of the context of the current one-month slip. Does Cirrus imagine this will be made up shortly? Do they expect it to have a straight linear effect (all dates pushed back a month)? Is there a possibility that it will cascade – a month’s delay for serial #19 meaning two months for #50 and six months for #200 etc? No one can predict the future, but I for one would welcome some official comment from the company.

JimF.

Jim, for the record, and since you are relatively new to the Cirrus waiting game, those of us around #200 have no clue what to expect. So, there couldn’t be an “additional” delay because there is no schedule. As of August 1998 when I ordered they actually wrote me a contract for Sept. 1999 delivery, and there has been no official correspondence about schedules to anyone other than those that are getting calls about progress payments and are in the planning pipeline. I’m guessing that reaches to about #35 or #40 (can anyone confirm or deny?)

Don’t want to turn this into a bitch session, but stallwart Dave gave us an opening (sorry Dave)!

BTW, enjoyed your article immensely.

Mick

As of August 1998 when I ordered they actually wrote me a contract for Sept. 1999 delivery<

Silly me! I had thought that the delivery dates in the contract equalled a “schedule.” I will now adopt the “watched pot never boils” philosophy and settle down for a few years of Cessna rental, so as to be happily surprised by the little Cirrus whenever it appears.

Thanks, jf

Don’t want to turn this into a bitch session, but stallwart Dave gave us an opening (sorry Dave)!

Stalwart? Moi? I’d like to think of myself as a supportive pragmatist, or some other essentially contradictory set of terms.

I did make an inquiry to Cirrus on the subject, and the unofficial word is that things are still moving in Duluth. They will be issuing a press release in the next few days with information about order counts and production status. They say that they are producing one aircraft every five days at this point, but are also working hard on the production certificate (which apparently slows things down while they demonstrate their prowess to the FAA).

It was stressed that the only official dates come from Sherri Reynolds, and they seem somewhat baffled about the source of Chris’ January 3 date.

I heard through another source that there is a delivery taking place this week or next, so apparently there is no line stop.

(Nothing like fighting rumors with rumors!)

–Dave

before they get certificate each plane has to be signed off individually by FAA…With certificate they are their own QC…Current rate will change with certificate…

Stalwart? Moi? I’d like to think of myself as a supportive pragmatist, or some other essentially contradictory set of terms.

I did make an inquiry to Cirrus on the subject, and the unofficial word is that things are still moving in Duluth. They will be issuing a press release in the next few days with information about order counts and production status. They say that they are producing one aircraft every five days at this point, but are also working hard on the production certificate (which apparently slows things down while they demonstrate their prowess to the FAA).

It was stressed that the only official dates come from Sherri Reynolds, and they seem somewhat baffled about the source of Chris’ January 3 date.

I heard through another source that there is a delivery taking place this week or next, so apparently there is no line stop.

(Nothing like fighting rumors with rumors!)

–Dave