Deliveries

I know Cirrus changed how they report planes delivered, but it seems like they have quit shipping planes.

On 1/1/01 they were reporting 108 planes manufactued. Now they are reporting 106 planes shipped. Maybe they are just waiting for people to come pick-up planes.

I have position number 457 which is supposed to be delivered by 10/31/01. I’m starting to wonder if I will be able to take delivery this year.

Has any body talked to Cirrus about the possibility that production has slowed down?

KClark

I know Cirrus changed how they report planes delivered, but it seems like they have quit shipping planes.

On 1/1/01 they were reporting 108 planes manufactued. Now they are reporting 106 planes shipped. Maybe they are just waiting for people to come pick-up planes.

I have position number 457 which is supposed to be delivered by 10/31/01. I’m starting to wonder if I will be able to take delivery this year.

Has any body talked to Cirrus about the possibility that production has slowed down?

KClark

I think deliverys are bunching up a bit due to weather, at least that is what CD is implying, and they are in Minn. I have #396, base on other dates posted in this forum, I think delivery for me is looking more and more like Dec.01. I wouldn’t mind being surprised as long as the wt. increase gets done.

I believe they have several sitting waiting for people to come get them. I was also told there are 3 SR22s built but not yet delivered. And the web site updating is intermittent.

KClark

Well I am in Duluth right now, and just finished my 2nd day of training - we took delivery yesterday. So yes, they are still having deliveries!

There was a guy who came out yesterday for the training, and to pick up the plane, although I believe it was done last month and “accepted” by Wings Aloft and in storage until now.

I know of at least one guy coming out next week to get his plane, and I believe they’re still doing at least a few deliveries per week.

Steve

P.S. It’s GREAT!!! :slight_smile:

KClark

It does seem strange: A company that delivered its 100th aircraft on December 18th to Dave Shepherd has only delivered 6 more aircraft during the next 39 days, none of which was an SR22, which would have been delivered with much fanfare. Hhhhmmmm…

KClark

STEVE-- Congratulations–Arent you from Potomac Md.? Will you base at GAI? Where will you park? thanks

KClark

Well I am in Duluth right now, and just finished my 2nd day of training - we took delivery yesterday. So yes, they are still having deliveries!

There was a guy who came out yesterday for the training, and to pick up the plane, although I believe it was done last month and “accepted” by Wings Aloft and in storage until now.

I know of at least one guy coming out next week to get his plane, and I believe they’re still doing at least a few deliveries per week.

Steve

P.S. It’s GREAT!!! :slight_smile:

STEVE-- Congratulations–Arent you from Potomac Md.? Will you base at GAI? Where will you park? thanks

Hi Tom,

From Gaithersburg actually – haven’t found hangar space yet so I’ll be parked at 5P7 at GAI, ONCE I GET MY PLANE HOME!!!

After a great 3 days of training with Ron Sheibe (Wings Aloft instructor), we were planning to head to Indiana on Saturday (1/27) then from there back to MD on Sunday.

However, on our last training flight, we noticed the CHT gauge was kinda flipping between about 300 degress to 0, back to 300, then down to 0 for a few minutes, etc. This was on a Saturday (i.e. Cirrus customer service was not physically at the factory on the weekends).

So we called the Cirrus helpline and the nice folks there had a mechanic at the factory within an hour or two. He replaced the CHT gauge and Ron and I went up for one circuit in the pattern to take a look, and the gauge seemed fine.

So we headed out toward Indiana, about 3 hours behind schedule, but otherwise extremely happy. About 20 miles away from DLH, soon after we leveled out, the CHT gauge started doing its funny thing again. So we turned around and went back to Duluth. Another phone call, and for the second time on a Saturday, a Cirrus guy went out to the CD hangar and worked on the plane, this time replacing the CHT probe.

By this time though it was after dark and almost 8 pm, so we decided just to stay another day and get a fresh start in the morning.

Sunday came and DLH was 800 OVC. (I wanted to make this flight home VFR since I was “behind the plane” more than I like to be when doing the IFR training with Ron, and I wanted to get some more practice IFR flights with my home base instructor before doing them in actual). So we waited until about 2 pm Sunday before DLH weather improved enough to take off.

It was a BEATIFUL flight. There was a 25-50 mile stretch where were were VFR-over-the-top of a solid cloud deck, with crystal blue skies above. I was really enjoying the flight and everything was going great until we got to about between Madison Wisconsin and Rockford, Illinois.

At that point the clouds started coming in and we decended fmro 7,500 to 5,500 then later to 3,500 to stay VFR. This was the huge storm moving in from Missouri/Kansas/Texas area that we were hoping to beat. Flight service had suspected we could beat the system if we had been able to leave Duluth in the early afternoon, so we tried it, but the clouds were rolling in.

I was talking with Chicago approach when we saw the line of where the snow showers started. I could also see that if we could proceed directly on course, we would actually be able to be ahead of the storm – but the Chicago class B was in the way. So I asked for a class b clearance and was denied. We went another couple miles and then I could tell that we would get pinched between the snow and the class B if we went much farther, so I just stopped and landed at Dupage Airport near chicago. (Incredibly nice FBO there by the way!)

Again though the flight was great. The hardest part was remembering to scan for traffic while playing with the Arnav and 430s. :slight_smile: The plane flew great, and after the 2.5 hour flight neither my back nor my ears (using the SR20 Lightspeeds) were hurting. I am really looking even more forward to some long cross countries now.

Anyway, we were hoping to be able to get out of Chicago today and on our way back to Gaithersburg but the weather was crap the whole day. Looking at weather channel, etc it looks like most of this week will be shot, at least if are looking for MVFR conditions or better.

I didn’t want to skip that much more work, so we hopped a Southwest Airlines flight back to BWI and left the SR20 hangared at DPA. I have a return ticket on Southwest for this weekend, so I am hoping for some good weather Saturday or Sunday so I can bring my bird back!!

Sorry for the long post but I have enjoyed the stories others have posted here about the deliveries, and I can’t remember one where someone actually came home without their plane, so I thought I’d be the first! :slight_smile:

Steve

I should also mention (forgot to in the previous posting) how happy I was with the service from the Cirrus folks. Even on the weekend, they went out of their way to respond to my telephone calls and get the CHT problem fixed as soon as possible. Everybody there was really nice, even the production guys that we kept having to bother to get some help moving the plane in and out of the hangar. Although it’s unfortunate we had the CHT gauge problem, the way they handled it was great.

Steve

Hi Tom,

From Gaithersburg actually – haven’t found hangar space yet so I’ll be parked at 5P7 at GAI, ONCE I GET MY PLANE HOME!!!

After a great 3 days of training with Ron Sheibe (Wings Aloft instructor), we were planning to head to Indiana on Saturday (1/27) then from there back to MD on Sunday.

However, on our last training flight, we noticed the CHT gauge was kinda flipping between about 300 degress to 0, back to 300, then down to 0 for a few minutes, etc. This was on a Saturday (i.e. Cirrus customer service was not physically at the factory on the weekends).

So we called the Cirrus helpline and the nice folks there had a mechanic at the factory within an hour or two. He replaced the CHT gauge and Ron and I went up for one circuit in the pattern to take a look, and the gauge seemed fine.

So we headed out toward Indiana, about 3 hours behind schedule, but otherwise extremely happy. About 20 miles away from DLH, soon after we leveled out, the CHT gauge started doing its funny thing again. So we turned around and went back to Duluth. Another phone call, and for the second time on a Saturday, a Cirrus guy went out to the CD hangar and worked on the plane, this time replacing the CHT probe.

By this time though it was after dark and almost 8 pm, so we decided just to stay another day and get a fresh start in the morning.

Sunday came and DLH was 800 OVC. (I wanted to make this flight home VFR since I was “behind the plane” more than I like to be when doing the IFR training with Ron, and I wanted to get some more practice IFR flights with my home base instructor before doing them in actual). So we waited until about 2 pm Sunday before DLH weather improved enough to take off.

It was a BEATIFUL flight. There was a 25-50 mile stretch where were were VFR-over-the-top of a solid cloud deck, with crystal blue skies above. I was really enjoying the flight and everything was going great until we got to about between Madison Wisconsin and Rockford, Illinois.

At that point the clouds started coming in and we decended fmro 7,500 to 5,500 then later to 3,500 to stay VFR. This was the huge storm moving in from Missouri/Kansas/Texas area that we were hoping to beat. Flight service had suspected we could beat the system if we had been able to leave Duluth in the early afternoon, so we tried it, but the clouds were rolling in.

I was talking with Chicago approach when we saw the line of where the snow showers started. I could also see that if we could proceed directly on course, we would actually be able to be ahead of the storm – but the Chicago class B was in the way. So I asked for a class b clearance and was denied. We went another couple miles and then I could tell that we would get pinched between the snow and the class B if we went much farther, so I just stopped and landed at Dupage Airport near chicago. (Incredibly nice FBO there by the way!)

Again though the flight was great. The hardest part was remembering to scan for traffic while playing with the Arnav and 430s. :slight_smile: The plane flew great, and after the 2.5 hour flight neither my back nor my ears (using the SR20 Lightspeeds) were hurting. I am really looking even more forward to some long cross countries now.

Anyway, we were hoping to be able to get out of Chicago today and on our way back to Gaithersburg but the weather was crap the whole day. Looking at weather channel, etc it looks like most of this week will be shot, at least if are looking for MVFR conditions or better.

I didn’t want to skip that much more work, so we hopped a Southwest Airlines flight back to BWI and left the SR20 hangared at DPA. I have a return ticket on Southwest for this weekend, so I am hoping for some good weather Saturday or Sunday so I can bring my bird back!!

Sorry for the long post but I have enjoyed the stories others have posted here about the deliveries, and I can’t remember one where someone actually came home without their plane, so I thought I’d be the first! :slight_smile:

Steve

Hi Tom,

Steve

Congratulations Steve (good, conservative in-flight decision-making too, BTW). Pireps like yours help me to keep my spirits up as I wait for my SR22.

George

I should also mention (forgot to in the previous posting) how happy I was with the service from the Cirrus folks. Even on the weekend, they went out of their way to respond to my telephone calls and get the CHT problem fixed as soon as possible. Everybody there was really nice, even the production guys that we kept having to bother to get some help moving the plane in and out of the hangar. Although it’s unfortunate we had the CHT gauge problem, the way they handled it was great.

Steve

Thanks for the nice posting on your trip tell us more latr

Hi Tom,

Steve

I was a little surprised as well, but they may have made a huge effort at year end to “empty the pipeline” and get as many planes out the door as possible.

Back in April the official forecast used for their investment package was that they would produce 145 planes (SR20+SR22) by year end. As late as May/June that was still the official line when I was looking to invest. Even then, it appeared totally unachievable. Which was why I backed out - not because their production @ 100 planes was so low - but that their project and production management skills worried me. Too much time in project mgt disciplines, I guess.

Anyway, they probably felt some pressure to ship everything that wasn’t physically tied down. Now, we are seeing the other side of the coin.

Having said all that, it would be really great if Cirrus was willing to be more forthcoming re near term production forecasts and actuals. Would probably do them some good as well if they tracked actual production versus their official forecast. Might inject some realism!

Anyway, …

It does seem strange: A company that delivered its 100th aircraft on December 18th to Dave Shepherd has only delivered 6 more aircraft during the next 39 days, none of which was an SR22, which would have been delivered with much fanfare. Hhhhmmmm…

KClark