Production Rate

I just received delivery notice and it was some what disapointing. My position number is 44 and I was told that my serial number would be 41 which will be delivered July 15th! Based on this date, they will be hard pressed to deliver 50 planes the first year, let alone the 100 they professed.

I know they are trying hard, but the question of credibility rears its ugly head again. When are they going to learn to stop shooting themselves in the foot!

Look at the bright side - you get it

just in time for Oshkosh!

I know they are trying hard, but the question of credibility rears its ugly head again. When are they going to learn to stop shooting themselves in the foot!
Like everyone else reading this, I can fully understand your frustration. Five years ago Cirrus were saying they would have certification within two years - that proved to be wildly optimiztic.
However!! The fact of the matter is that right now Cirrus are building planes and rolling them out the door at a rate of about 1/week. They have achieved what, in hindsight, was an enormously difficult task.

As recently as September 99, I was being told by the local rep that #36 would be delivered in December 99. That got revised to Feb 2000. But I looked at what Cirrus were saying about production rates, and concluded that May 2000 was much more likely.

Now, several months later, I still see May as likely. I haven’t seen a definite date from Cirrus yet, but your July 15 date is consistent with May for #36 (8 planes earlier).

So my advice is simply try and be patient, look forward to getting the best single engine plane in production, and accept the fact that the Cirrus people are optimists, just like you and me. After all, a pessimist would never have embarked on certifying a new GA plane, nor plunked down a deposit on one that didn’t yet exist!

Cheers, Clyde

I could not have said it better. Let’s all stop and think a little. I really don’t think that Cirrus is slowing the process just to give us more gray hairs. Let’s appreciate what they are doing. Remember a previous post, the gentleman said everything was fitted well, it looked great, workmanship was of first class, all the support he received from the factory workers when he was getting the airplane to fly to Utah. Remember? I don’t now about you but to me that’s important. I want my bird today. I will wait till my turn comes, but I want it right. If we have to wait so everyone’s airplane is put together well, it is worth waiting, I want a happy bunch of SR20’s up in the sky. Thank you Clyde for a super Web site. Let’s have a great Cirrus day.

I know there’s a discussion about bumping old threads. It prompted me to go look at some old ones. This one gave me a kick. It appears to be Clyde and a few others talking about waiting for their first Cirri back in 2000. Wow.

1 Like