Question on Aircraft Dimensions?

This will sound strange, but I am in the sometimes enviable position of being able to move up in hangar space. What I need to know from anyone who actually has their hands on one of these birds is:

1. What is the clearance from wingtip to ground?

2. What is the ground clearance 8’ in from the wingtip?

I’m trying to fit a car in with the plane. This has never been a problem withthe ol’ Cessna.

Thanks

Marty,

I’ll take a stab at this without actually having the dimensions handy. But if you’re trying to take a car that had previously parked under a high-winged Cessna and park it under a low-winged Cirrus, that car had better be really, REALLY small. I doubt you could squeeze an MG Midget under the wing there, bub.

This will sound strange, but I am in the sometimes enviable position of being able to move up in hangar space. What I need to know from anyone who actually has their hands on one of these birds is:

1. What is the clearance from wingtip to ground?
  1. What is the ground clearance 8’ in from the wingtip?

I’m trying to fit a car in with the plane. This has never been a problem withthe ol’ Cessna.

Thanks

I’m the lucky owner ofSR20 S/N 1017 N116CD.

The wingtip is about 4’ high and must drop about 9" at 8’ in from the tip.

I’ve heard of using a small ramp under one main gear to fit planes into a hangar.

The SR20 main gear is at 66.3" from centerline and the wingtip is at 210.3 so a 3" ramp should lift the tip about 9.5".

Marty,

I’ll take a stab at this without actually having the dimensions handy. But if you’re trying to take a car that had previously parked under a high-winged Cessna and park it under a low-winged Cirrus, that car had better be really, REALLY small. I doubt you could squeeze an MG Midget under the wing there, bub.

Well, we’re talking an old vette. I know it will be tight. Right now the hangar I’am in barely keeps the plan out of the wind, so the car sits next to my wife’s, in our garage. My daily car sits out in the elements.

Tks for your thoughts. Anyone else?

It looks from the POH like the wingtip is 46 inches off the ground, and 8 ft in from the tip is about halfway to the fuse, at about 36" off the deck. There are also flap hinges hanging down below this. So there’s not a lot of room.

There is about 14 feet clearance from the rear of the wing to the end of the tail, so maybe you can nose the plane in and park the car behind the wing.

Doug wrote:

Aha, got a brand new one! Tell us about it. When did you collect it, where is it based, what are your first impressions?

I’ve heard of using a small ramp under one main gear to fit planes into a hangar.

The SR20 main gear is at 66.3" from centerline and the wingtip is at 210.3 so a 3" ramp should lift the tip about 9.5".

Thanks guys. Looks like a bigger hangar!! Shucks.

Thanks all for your comments on the height of the wing. I have the new hangar, and ased on your input, I got a slightly larger on with one side of the “T” not cut out. 'Nuff room for the car and plane.

And yes, I am thankfull, that not only am i lucky to have a hangar, but a choice. I’ve been located at 5 different airfields and I’ve been able to get hangars at three. Prices from $140 - $410.

Thanks guys. Looks like a bigger hangar!! Shucks.

At least you have a hangar…around here (SF Bay Area) one has to wait a VERY long time, or have some compromising pictures of the airport manager, to even have a shot at getting one. Sigh Thank God composites don’t rust…