Parachute Repack delays

I had no delay getting the rocket and other parts, but am waiting for the actual parachute.

Like you, We ordered the parts 10 weeks in advance, and a week before bringing the plane to the SC for an annual and repack, Cirrus assured us everything would be there the first week of March.

I’m picking up the plane tomorrow with a fresh annual, but will have to go back for more down time when the parachute arrives.

I agree that Cirrus should do better. It’s very disappointing to say the least.

This makes me glad I didn’t pull the trigger on a Cirrus and still have my Diamond.

1 Like

I ordered and paid at the first of the year. The shop till does not have parts to complete repack.

When will the plane be unairworthy? How much time do you have?

Wasn’t sure if I should start a new thread or go with this one but I am looking at purchasing a Gen 1 SR22 and it is due for a CAPS repack in August so I know I will have to get that set up asap after the purchase if it happens. The seller wants to credit me $15K for the repack but I know that the earlier SRs require more work and are thus more expensive to do. I have heard the figure $19K for a gen 1 but when I inquired with a well know Cirrus Service Center they came back with a $22K quote and 12 week lead time. Does this sound reasonable or does someone know if there is a shop in the Midwest that may be more reasonable? Does the factory in DLH do CAPS repacks?

I was just quoted 10 weeks lead on the parts.

I got multiple quotes for a repack on my G1. Most were in the 20,000 +/- range which included HAZMAT shipping, body work and taxes. When you get quotes make certain that all quotes include those factors.

Monaco in DLH does repacks. They quote about $18,000, but then they send the plane to Ross for the body work which is another $2000.

I had my plane in at Watertown, WI (KRYV) for an annual and repack in early March. Cirrus promised the parts would be available but they were not. It’s going back in another 2 weeks for the repack. I ordered the parts in December.

RYV did my first repack 10 years ago and now gets to do #2. Their quote was reasonable and, as you know, WI doesn’t add tax. So the entire repack will run me in the 18-19,000 range.

2 Likes

Our repack was delayed due to……a delayed shipment of 11grams of fiberglass additive.

Finally going into paint this week.

Thanks Jerrold, our plane will be based out of KUES so Watertown would be perfect. I’ll contact them tomorrow for a quote.

What type of cost is everyone seeing for G3 repacks?

I just got a quote from First Wing Jet Center in Indianapolis and I also have a gen 1. MY quote was right at 18k including paint. Talk to Randy… I called several service centers and they seem to be very competitive and do a decent amount of repacks.

Jerrold, has your G1 already had the conversion to the electrical ignition at the last repack, or are you having to pay for that this time?

My first repack was mechanical to mechanical. This one requires conversion to the electronic system. I wish I could have stuck with the mechanical system.

Any idea the cost delta? Put another way: once your system has been converted to electronic, how much less expensive will it be next time around?

Don’t know. And any absolute cost decrease will be eaten up by inflation.

This will be my last repack so I admit to not even thinking about the issue.

1 Like

Stephen…I am due for 2nd recap. My first caps was the replacement of the factory system. My second is coming up due in mid July. I have several proposals. Happy to email them to you if you wish.

I got a couple of quotes on our G3 repack at roughly 19K, including the MCU changeout that is required on our 2011 model.

That’s a bit rich considering a G1 costs that much with bodywork

1 Like

I quoted the job out to a few places and didn’t find a quote below 16.5 all in for the repack plus 2.5 k for the MCU swap. Average was closer to 17k for the repack.

I’m not sure the 19k is that bad, if not competitive, imo

$18.5k from TKI service center. It includes a full MCU replacement for the electronic igniter.