Market Research

In my continuing search for an SR20 Model for my desk, I have found a small model company in California that makes all the models for Cessna, Raytheon, etc (Gifts to new owners from the Corporation). They have a great reputation, and get out a model in 4 to 6 weeks.

I tried to get Anderson Models to build me a model of the SR20 but I think they are too busy. They have yet to get back with me from an order I place online a while back so I guess they aren’t going to do it. Also, another forum member did get an order placed in January and I don’t think he’s received it yet!

The company in California molds their models from plastic and the cost of tooling is $4500. The cost of the finished model would be $350. The wholesale cost would be $265 per model meaning that it would take about 52 models sold at full cost to recover just the mold cost.

I am considering finding out if Cirrus would be interested in selling the models on their website and springing for the upfront cost of the mold. I would gladly buy the model for $350 if it was made available.

Another alternative would be for those who are interested to call the model company and put their name in the hat as an interested party. I feel certain that if the model company had enough interest they might produce the tooling themselves.

So a show of hands if you are genuinely interested -

Also, let’s not turn this into a “Cirrus should give us all a model for free” discussion. This is a capitalistic society (thank goodness) where those who produce competitve values for others should be fairly compensated. Plan on paying $350 for the model.

If you want to contact the model company directly, you can call them at 714-771-2521. Etta Williams and her husband Paul own the shop. It is located in Orange CA.

Incidently, the scale would be 1/32 giving the Cirrus about a 14" to 15" wingspan which is smaller than other models but easier to place on the desk.

I would appreciate other ideas on how to get the tooling paid for or information on other model shops that do a good job yet don’t take a year.

Mark

Ps - Etta (from the model shop) promised that you would experience no transponder problems with their models and there has never been an AD issued on any of their aircraft. Sound like to perfect plane for some of you residents of Utopia out there driving Toy Oda’s. (My wife drives a Lexus so don’t give me hell about the Toyota wise crack)

We would be interested in a model, however, we would not want to order it until our plane was near delivery. This is because we want the model to reflect the actual paint scheme, N-number, etc. By my calculations, it could well be into next summer before we see our plane. Most of these model companies paint them specifically for your airplane – they even add antennas,etc. I’d hate to order it now, then have Cirrus change the paint scheme, for example. Then, I’d be giving it away to Purple Heart like all of my past treasures.

In my continuing search for an SR20 Model for my desk, I have found a small model company in California that makes all the models for Cessna, Raytheon, etc (Gifts to new owners from the Corporation). They have a great reputation, and get out a model in 4 to 6 weeks.

I tried to get Anderson Models to build me a model of the SR20 but I think they are too busy. They have yet to get back with me from an order I place online a while back so I guess they aren’t going to do it. Also, another forum member did get an order placed in January and I don’t think he’s received it yet!

The company in California molds their models from plastic and the cost of tooling is $4500. The cost of the finished model would be $350. The wholesale cost would be $265 per model meaning that it would take about 52 models sold at full cost to recover just the mold cost.

I am considering finding out if Cirrus would be interested in selling the models on their website and springing for the upfront cost of the mold. I would gladly buy the model for $350 if it was made available.

Another alternative would be for those who are interested to call the model company and put their name in the hat as an interested party. I feel certain that if the model company had enough interest they might produce the tooling themselves.

So a show of hands if you are genuinely interested -

Also, let’s not turn this into a “Cirrus should give us all a model for free” discussion. This is a capitalistic society (thank goodness) where those who produce competitve values for others should be fairly compensated. Plan on paying $350 for the model.

If you want to contact the model company directly, you can call them at 714-771-2521. Etta Williams and her husband Paul own the shop. It is located in Orange CA.

Incidently, the scale would be 1/32 giving the Cirrus about a 14" to 15" wingspan which is smaller than other models but easier to place on the desk.

I would appreciate other ideas on how to get the tooling paid for or information on other model shops that do a good job yet don’t take a year.

Mark

Ps - Etta (from the model shop) promised that you would experience no transponder problems with their models and there has never been an AD issued on any of their aircraft. Sound like to perfect plane for some of you residents of Utopia out there driving Toy Oda’s. (My wife drives a Lexus so don’t give me hell about the Toyota wise crack)