Desktop Display Models SR2X - Update?

Update time

I have taken a new direction in this search for the best display model for the money. As most of us know, better sometimes means more money. I am leaning toward plastic or resin models now because of the ability for the manufacturer to make a perfect copy of a Cirrus. Plus, we could get the models in a timely manner (3-4 weeks vs. 4-6 months like a wood model would take). The models would still be custom (N number, paint colors, etc.) The cost however is a BIG issue.

Once again I would like input from some of you as to how much you are willing to spend for high quality, quick service, and custom details.

The range now for what I am finding will cost around $350 + 25 shipping! From a few people I have talked to personally feel this may be just a little too steep for them. But I donÂ’t want to speak for all of you. I know when I started looking for reputable wood model companies we had the price around $180-250. Of course there are drawbacks to wood models. First they take months to build, second, the quality will vary greatly from model to model, and last, many people have told me they look like a carved wood piece of art (proportions are not quite right).

So what is with the expensive resin (plastic) models that is so good. Well, they all come out of the same mold. Therefore a prototype is made to exact proportions, standards. Etc. Then, master molds are made (these I guess are very expensive) and cost money up front. Now, I know in our case, we will be having a separate mold made for the SR22 wing since it is longer. Other nice details that can be offered is your choice of prop. 2 blade, 3 blade, or no blades. Spinners - would be REAL chrome. All the N numbers and colors will be silk-screened and made into a decal from computer scanning. And finally, you will also have your choice of base, wood or acrylic. At this time the company I am favoring (they make models for the big manufacturers like Beach, Piper, etc.) may allow us two options on price. Option A – We all individually pay $350 plus shipping for our own planes. Option B – We all contribute to the start up costs (making of the molds) which we (a Cirrus club) would own. Depending on how many of us want to contribute, $30-40 would reduce the cost per model to around $270-290. In other words, pay to save later.

Here is what I need from all of you. Do we want to pursue “plastic”, or live with what wood model’s offer. Some of us are more willing to pay for quality then others.

If you could email me again, so I know if this is worth pursuing, please indicate one of the 3 options below.

A – I’m too cheep. I’ll live with the wood to keep the cost under $200.

B – Let the company pay for the molds, I have no problem paying $350.

C – Whatever it takes to save me money on a high quality model. I am all for a Cirrus club that takes my donation to save me money in the end. ($280 + 35 = $315)

Thank you for sending me all those emails before. At lest I know at the $200 price range, about 200 of you wanted models. Also in you email, let me know again how many models you want. I know some of your have partners in the same plane.

Jim #357

Update time

I have taken a new direction in this search for the best display model for the money. As most of us know, better sometimes means more money. I am leaning toward plastic or resin models now because of the ability for the manufacturer to make a perfect copy of a Cirrus. Plus, we could get the models in a timely manner (3-4 weeks vs. 4-6 months like a wood model would take). The models would still be custom (N number, paint colors, etc.) The cost however is a BIG issue.

Once again I would like input from some of you as to how much you are willing to spend for high quality, quick service, and custom details.

The range now for what I am finding will cost around $350 + 25 shipping! From a few people I have talked to personally feel this may be just a little too steep for them. But I donÂ’t want to speak for all of you. I know when I started looking for reputable wood model companies we had the price around $180-250. Of course there are drawbacks to wood models. First they take months to build, second, the quality will vary greatly from model to model, and last, many people have told me they look like a carved wood piece of art (proportions are not quite right).

So what is with the expensive resin (plastic) models that is so good. Well, they all come out of the same mold. Therefore a prototype is made to exact proportions, standards. Etc. Then, master molds are made (these I guess are very expensive) and cost money up front. Now, I know in our case, we will be having a separate mold made for the SR22 wing since it is longer. Other nice details that can be offered is your choice of prop. 2 blade, 3 blade, or no blades. Spinners - would be REAL chrome. All the N numbers and colors will be silk-screened and made into a decal from computer scanning. And finally, you will also have your choice of base, wood or acrylic. At this time the company I am favoring (they make models for the big manufacturers like Beach, Piper, etc.) may allow us two options on price. Option A – We all individually pay $350 plus shipping for our own planes. Option B – We all contribute to the start up costs (making of the molds) which we (a Cirrus club) would own. Depending on how many of us want to contribute, $30-40 would reduce the cost per model to around $270-290. In other words, pay to save later.

Here is what I need from all of you. Do we want to pursue “plastic”, or live with what wood model’s offer. Some of us are more willing to pay for quality then others.

If you could email me again, so I know if this is worth pursuing, please indicate one of the 3 options below.

C – Whatever it takes to save me money on a high quality model. I am all for a Cirrus club that takes my donation to save me money in the end. ($280 + 35 = $315)

Thank you for sending me all those emails before. At lest I know at the $200 price range, about 200 of you wanted models. Also in you email, let me know again how many models you want. I know some of your have partners in the same plane.

Jim #357

I went back to look at the original post dated 6/19. It referred to customized wood models ordered in bulk in the $30-60 price range. How did we get to $200 for a wood model?

mdz

Jim,

I would go for option “c”. If “b” was the most popular I am good there too.

I think quality is very important. The small savings between options (b vs. c) doesn’t seem to matter.

I would be looking for one model of a 22.

Thank you for all your work,

Myron

I am leaning toward plastic or resin models now because of the ability for the manufacturer to make a perfect copy of a Cirrus.

I really like resin as a medium. The ability of the resin to capture every last detail (assuming the details are present in the original) is extraordinary. Many artists nowadays prefer resin for that reason.

I collect miniature lighthouses. There are several excellent companies involved in making these and they use resin. The quality of the product depends on the care taken with the original, the mold, and of course, the final painting. Resin is also solid and has a nice solid feeling to it, quite a bit of “heft” for its size.

I think a well done resin model on a nice wood base would be outstanding.

Update time

Jim #357

Jim,

Put me down for option B or C which ever you decide to use is fine with me. I like the idea of using resin over wood for accuracy. Your doing a great job, thanks.

John R.

I went back to look at the original post dated 6/19. It referred to customized wood models ordered in bulk in the $30-60 price range. How did we get to $200 for a wood model?

mdz

You bring up a good point. I would have addressed this in this post but I thought I was getting too wordy. The reason I gave up on the $30-60 models is because they were offered by a company in the Phillipieans direct. I felt dealing with some one overseas, and the quality for the price may be an issue. I have since heard info from other companies confirming my feelings on this. Most of the wood model makers I have delt with lately have their own factories overseas. I have since fond out that their can be big delays, and high mark up, and quality issues. This is why I have all but given up on wood. If you are still interested in a wood model there are about 2-3 companies I would recommend. For the extra $150-200, get plastic. It will look nicer and you will get it 3-5 months sooner.

Jim