IFR vs. IFR Refresher magazine

Anone have thoughts regarding IFR vs. IFR Refresher magazine? They are from the same publisher and cover the same topic. Which one is better? I want to improve my IFR skills and stay really current rather than just legally current.

I subscribe to both. IFR refresher is, to me anyway, much more basic. It is written in a matter of fact serious vein and is for the newer, less experienced instrument pilot.
IFR deals with more advanced topics and has a rather irreverent style. Some love it and some find it hard to take. Personally I much prefer IFR and continue to get IFR refresher out of habit.
I think you will find that IFR refresher sticks mostly to official approved procedures while IFR suggests practical shortcuts to some procedures. It advocates procedures some purists find disconcerting. I think its practical side is what I find so enjoyable.

Paul,

Personally I think both of these magazines really stink! I am really getting sick and tired of that one author who constantly writes those terrible weather pieces. Let me know when they get rid of him and I’ll renew!

I agree with Jerry. I used to subscribe to both, but at something like $50 per year per title, and with the relatively short length of each, I decided to give up IFR Refresher and subscribe only to IFR now. But that’s just what I personally did - there’s nothing wrong with IFR Refresher, but I found I was learning more from IFR than from “Refresher”.

Jerry:
I agree. I get both but over the past 2 years have found IFR to be more helpful and I, too, enjoy the practical suggestions and the boldness to cover topics that no one else will touch.
Both are excellent publications. They are pricey because they accept no advertising. Just like a COPA membership, the price is worth the advice gained.

In reply to:

Personally I much prefer IFR and continue to get IFR refresher out of habit.

Me too. I’m always on the cusp of canceling IFR Refresher, but I just opted for a lifetime subscription to IFR.

I agree with Jerry. I personally find IFR’s style to be a delightful breath of fresh air in an otherwise dour aviation journalism landscape, where “aviation humor is no laughing matter.” In addition I find it quite useful for real-world IFR flying.

Bottom line: if I had to give up one of the two, I would give up IFR Refresher without hesitation. If I had to keep just two of all of my aviation-related magazine subscriptions, IFR would be one of those two.

I’m of like minds with Jerry, Steve, and Brian. Reading IFR Refresher reminds me of doing a BFR with a young, by-the-book CFII who knows all the procedures and regs down pat. By contrast, IFR has the feel of a conversation with a 10,000+ hour instrument pilot who really knows how to make the system work and who “groks the fullness” of IFR flight. Both are useful, but I find that I re-read IFR while giving IFR Refresher a single perusal.

Cheers,
Roger
(who wishes he could do an A-N range approach in a DC-2… or better yet, in a http://www.nasm.si.edu/nasm/pa/lectures/img/ge92-598.htmCurtiss Condor)

Roger,
At the risk of dating myself I actually DID a four course radio range approach at Elkins, WVA. Unfortunately it wasn’t in a DC-2 al la Ernie Gann. It was still quite an experience however and really made me respect the skills of those who flew those approaches to minimums in ice, rain, turbulence etc.
We’ve come a long way in a short time.

I’m glad I asked. It seems unanimous. I appreciated the comments. I hope I can grok IFR someday. Right now I am still amazed that I got the rating. When I got my private I actually felt I could fly as long as I wasn’t too adventuresome. With the IFR ticket I feel a lot less confident.

Jerry,

Wow! I’d love to hear more about that approach some time.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

I’m glad I asked. It seems unanimous.

Paul,
Coming late to the conversation… but I’ll add to the unanimity, and add that IFR is the only magazine I…

… always read as soon as it arrives;
… always read cover-to-cover;
… always start with the back cover

I don’t foresee not getting it, as long as I fly; I regret not taking them up on their recent Lifetime Subscriber offer.

• Mike.

I was thinking the same thing. I forgot to mention that in my other post!

I think I’ve heard of him. Does he write for both magazines?

Unfortunately, yes…

In reply to:

IFR is the only magazine I…

… always start with the back cover

Actually IFR is the only magazine I receive where my daughter steals it the moment it comes in so she can read the back cover!

In reply to:

I regret not taking them up on their recent Lifetime Subscriber offer.

Have no regrets, Mike. I just called them, and the lifetime subscriptions are still available. It costs $1,195 which includes a “free” Garmin GPS-196 handheld GPS. Even if you already have a handheld GPS, you can sell the 196 on eBay for about $1,000.

The lifetime subscription offer is apparently available for current subscribers only. BTW, they’ll give you the same deal on Aviation Consumer magazine.

A hondled them for a COPA price but they said that the $1,195 price was “rock bottom.”

If you’re interested, call them at (800) 424-7887.

I guess a subscription is on my todo list now. However, I still worry about that weird weather guy that writes for them. Makes you wonder about their journalistic standards ;-))

How old is your daughter! Mine just turned 3 (going on 13). If she does the same thing I’m in big trouble. It’s bad enough having to argue with my wife over who flies. My son, age 6, is eating broccoli so he can grow and reach the rudder pedals. He got a lesson for his 6th birthday and I told him then he could have regular lessons when he can work the rudder pedals. No one is allowed to talk to him about Ercoupes.

In reply to:

Have no regrets, Mike. I just called them, and the lifetime subscriptions are still available. It costs $1,195 which includes a “free” Garmin GPS-196 handheld GPS. Even if you already have a handheld GPS, you can sell the 196 on eBay for about $1,000.

Gordon,

That’s outstanding news! I’ll do it today…

THANK YOU!

• Mike.