Prefered IFR Reading

Hello Fellow Pilots:

What good books would you reccomend to read about learning to flying IFR as a student or the newly licensed private pilot? Books that cover how to read a chart, how do you circle to land the right way, how to enter a hold, you get the picture? I thought while I am taking flight training, I wanted to expose myself to IFR so I can have a real general idea before I start working on getting my IFR certificate. Thanks in advance!

In reply to:

Hello Fellow Pilots:
What good books would you reccomend to read about learning to flying IFR as a student or the newly licensed private pilot? Books that cover how to read a chart, how do you circle to land the right way, how to enter a hold, you get the picture? I thought while I am taking flight training, I wanted to expose myself to IFR so I can have a real general idea before I start working on getting my IFR certificate. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the instrument world! One periodical that I’d highly recommend is IFR Magazine. This is a monthly magazine that’s full of really good IFR topics written by experienced pilots flying the system every day. Each issue contains about 24-26 pages and contains very little advertisements. So it is easy to get through in a couple of hours.

The one thing that attracted me to this magazine many years ago is they tend to cover all sides to a particular subject. For example, you can read an article one month that says a stabilized approach is the way to go and the next month, “dive and drive” is best approach.

Once you get the rating, it will help you fill in many of the gaps you didn’t pick up during your training.

Best of luck!

In reply to:

What good books would you reccomend to read about learning to flying IFR as a student or the newly licensed private pilot? Books that cover how to read a chart, how do you circle to land the right way, how to enter a hold, you get the picture?

THE BEST “curl-up-and-read-in-bed” book I know is Rod Machado’s “Instrument Pilot’s Survival Manual”. Absolutely first rate. This is one book you can judge by its cover! [;)]

• Mike.

The Machado book, as Mike said, is good. The Jeppesen Instrument / Commercial Manual is also terrific, for students, and for review.

The FAA Instrument Flying Handbook is another good option. I used it as one of the texts during my training. And the ASA book, by Trevor Thom (I think) was my instructor’s favorite.

Jeff

While not a book, Microsoft FS2004 is a great IFR resource. You can fly an amazing number of instrument approaches using pretty realistic IFR ATC dialogue in varying weather conditions. I use the Mooney Ovation with the Garmin 530 and coupled autopilot.

I would also recommend the FAA’s Instrument Flying Handbook the AIM, and of course the King IFR Course as well.

IMHO, the best book for any new pilot regardless of ratings is Bernard Lang#@%^%sch’s “Stick & Rudder.”

I admire your zeal for improving your skills.

I have read many books on IFR and the ones mentioned here are all great. Especially Machado’s.

However, these are like drinking from a firehose for the prospecitve IFR pilot.

I found the best first book on your IFR educational journey is the simple “Instrumetn Flight Training Manual” by the late Peter Dogan, founder of the 10 Day PIC IFR training.

I like this book alot because it is a logical, easy to read brief tour through the what at first seems abstract world of instrument flying. It does not get into the minutae of procedures and chart details, nor is there tips from the old pro’s but it is succesful in getting you to understand the whole system in general terms… and THEN you go on to more detailed texts.

The second book I would suggest you read after the first is the classic “Instrument Flying” by Richard Taylor.

It has a nice style of writing and it introduces more of the finer details of the instrument flying world… after you have firmly understood the basics in Dogan’s book.

Machado’s book is still like drinking from a firehose even today. But it IS satisfying. Like others said, it is a permanenet bedside staple. it has so many little subsections, stories and tips that it makes for a great bathroom reader also! Seriously.

The Instrument Pilot Flight Training Manual by Ralph Butcher is the best IFR reading. In it is all the information you need to be a safe IFR pilot.

THANKS GUYS FOR THE PLETHURA OF INFO, I AM GONNA CHECK THEM ALL OUT AND GET THE IFR MAG SUBSCRIPTION ALSO.

I tried to read the Machado book before I started my instrument rating, and frankly I didn’t get it at all. I went back to it 6 months after getting my rating and enjoyed it immensely. It really presupposes some understanding of the system.

In reply to:

This is one book you can judge by its cover!

I hope not!

Mike, I bought this book a few weeks ago and love it. Yes the cover attracted me as I saw it on the shelf in the Pilot Shop I was visiting, but I was then immediately sceptical, as I saw the error on the PFD on the front cover.

Flying with the PFD takes a while to become automatic, but I instantly saw the problem with the view.

Then I used the book to test my group members, I simply said, something on this PFD is wrong, meaning you might not be able to trust it. Most of them didn’t see the problem.

I presume you spotted their mistake straight away???

I bet any IR rated PFD pilot would spot the problem within 30 seconds, and anyone that doesn’t should not be flying IFR in a PFD airplane!

Ian

Personally, I will be cancelling my subscription to “IFR” as soon as it comes up for renewal. I can’t stand the writing style of most, if not all, of the articles.

In reply to:

Personally, I will be cancelling my subscription to “IFR” as soon as it comes up for renewal. I can’t stand the writing style of most, if not all, of the articles.

Can you be more specific? I’ve been thinking about subscribing, but if it’s not well written or a snooze…

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to:

I don’t have my IFR rating yet but I have been reading IFR magazine for over a year. The articles consistently provide a different look at seeming common problems as well as some that, frankly, just aren’t addressed frequently enough. Far from dull, I find the writing style part of the appeal. While the wry, irreverent prose does turn a small percentage of potential readers against the magazine I like it so much that I became a lifetime subscriber (with the incentive of a Garmin 196).

Jim

In reply to:

I’ve been thinking about subscribing, but if it’s not well written or a snooze…

Jeffrey,

Many of the COPA members subscribe to IFR and find it to be a fantastic magazine. Written very well and not a snooze. Take a look at the following threadhere.

Thanks, Scott,

I love to read about flying, but hate when a dry article lulls me into a stupor.

I’ll check the links you posted.

Jeff

In reply to:

I love to read about flying, but hate when a dry article lulls me into a stupor.

IFR Magazine is for you (and me - I have a lifetime subscription). IFR Refresher Magazine is not.

Count me in as a fan of IFR Magazine. I find their style to be a badly needed breath of fresh air in aviation writing.

In reply to:

I like it so much that I became a lifetime subscriber (with the incentive of a Garmin 196).

Here’s another IFR fan, lifetime subscriber, and Garmin 196 owner. [:)]

• Mike.

Count me in as a fan of IFR Magazine. I find their style to be a badly needed breath of fresh air in aviation writing.
Kevin,
Me too! Scott Dennstaedt’s series of weather articles is just one of the many delightful features of IFR.
Some people don’t care for the relaxed, conversational writing style used in IFR, and of course de gustibus non est disputandum. But I like it just fine.

Cheers,
Roger