Garmin Video Tape; worthwhile?

Has anyone found the Garmin GNS 430/530 Instructional Video worthwhile? I am using Garmin’s PC-based simulator but would consider additional ways to gain familiarity. Thanks.

Yes indeed. I was just watching it one more time this morning.
Watch the video and follow the exercises on a laptop with the simulator. Not a panacea but a good beginning.
Wish they had it on DVD so I could do it all from my desktop…

I also found the video very worthwhile. It provides a very good foundation for most of the functionality of the 430.

Jim
SR-22 N723CD

I am about half way through the ASA GPS Trainer. I would recommend it. You use it in conjuction with the Garmin PC simulator.

Paul

Hmmm, I just used that ASA GPS trainer and did not feel that it was very worthwhile. That’s why I asked about (and ordered) the videotape.

Marty,

I, also, did not feel the ASA was much of a trainer, either. That is, until I fired up the new version of the Garmin simulator(downloaded from the website), and used it to duplicate all of the lessons. Forget the emulator in ASA, it is much better to use the actual simulator. I downloaded the current simulator (version 2.15) from Garmin’s website, because it works much better than the version that comes on the ASA CD. The ASA version doesn’t work in Approach mode because the Raim is calculated as unusable, and reverts the approach back to terminal mode. Upgrade to 2.15 and then you can fly all of the exercises all of the way including the entire missed approach, and then start the approach again.

After getting the upgraded simulator, and then canning the emulator in favor of the sim, it really started coming together.

My next step will be to make sure that I can perform all of the procedures that one of the COPA members posted on the board a while back, which looks to me like it would tend to really wring out all of my inadequacies with the 430.

If you get the tape, let us know how you like it. I think I saw one of Gordon’s posts where he recommended it. (But he flies a Beechcraft instead of a Cirrus, so his thinking might be a bit flawed) :wink:

Paul

In reply to:

I think I saw one of Gordon’s posts where he recommended it. (But he flies a Beechcraft instead of a Cirrus, so his thinking might be a bit flawed) :wink:

Not only that, but I don’t even have a Garmin in my Bonanza (other than my handheld GPS-295). Plus my wife says I’m warped, to which I always reply “Hey, you married me!”