GPS Trainer

I ordered and tried ASA’s “GPS Trainer.” This is ASA’s computer assisted trainer for the GNS 430 and two other GPS units. The “tutorial” also includes the mfg manuals and simulators. I was very impressed with the product, which includes emulations that allow you to practice the function discussed on a clear representation of the unit. It goes into a lot of detail, so much so that on the first run through the program you should concentrate on understanding the basic architecture and features of the Garmin. Later, the week or two before you pick up your plane, you can pin down more detail. In short, I would recommend the program because this is the only game in town unless you can magically read and understand computer manuals that are downloadable from the Garmin site. This is a very complex unit and you will be totally in the dark if you arrive in Duluth without a working knowledge of it.

I ordered and tried ASA’s “GPS Trainer.” This is ASA’s computer assisted trainer for the GNS 430 and two other GPS units. The “tutorial” also includes the mfg manuals and simulators. I was very impressed with the product, which includes emulations that allow you to practice the function discussed on a clear representation of the unit. It goes into a lot of detail, so much so that on the first run through the program you should concentrate on understanding the basic architecture and features of the Garmin. Later, the week or two before you pick up your plane, you can pin down more detail. In short, I would recommend the program because this is the only game in town unless you can magically read and understand computer manuals that are downloadable from the Garmin site. This is a very complex unit and you will be totally in the dark if you arrive in Duluth without a working knowledge of it.

Gary,

This is a nice review. How does it compare with the free sim available for download from the Garmin website?

“I ordered and tried ASA’s “GPS Trainer.” This is ASA’s computer assisted trainer for the GNS 430 and two other GPS units.”

Gary,

As a matter of interest, what are the “two other GPS units” in the program, and do you have a web site or other source by which one can contact ASA?

Thanks,

Pete

The free sim is OK, but it is not a tutorial. The sim offers very little instruction, although you can download the manual too. The “GPS Trainer” goes through every feature of the GNS 430 in a very practical way, showing you how to access all of its features and then letting you experience some of them by turning knobs and pressing buttons with your mouse. I think the sim will make more sense if you go through the Trainer software. The software is a small investment if it makes this learning process easier and, I think, it does.

The only reservation I have is for non-IFR pilots. They will be somewhat overwhelmed by all of the IFR-related features of the Garmin unit. Perhaps, they don’t need this much instruction and some manual reading and pointers by instructors at Wings Aloft may be sufficient.

This is a nice review. How does it compare with the free sim available for download from the Garmin website?

The simulator and the manual can be used to learn the box if you have some real world examples to plug in. However, first you must be able to learn through reading. For many of us, this is not an ideal learning environment for complex procedures. Also the simulator has some limitations. For example the VORs don’t really work. But, the simulator/manual combination can be effective if you can retain information and you have some real world examples to plug in. Below is a list of the things that I’ve written down to practice using the simulators. Many of these are real world items that I had to learn while flying behind an Apollo GX60 IFR GPS. I found that if you aren’t real comfortable with the box, you could have serious difficulty in a high stress situation. That’s the last thing you need in an IMC bumpy approach is futzing with the box because of a routing change, missed approach, or emergency.

Regards, Derek

Things to practice:

You’re flying along IMC and you have an emergency and must shoot an approach to the nearest airport. Find a suitable airport, change the flightplan, dial in the approach, and do it.

Insert/modify/delete a waypoint in the current flightplan while flying.

Add a STAR to a flightplan.

Change a STAR to a flightplan.

Delete a STAR to a flightplan.

You activate the approach without vectors, but receive vectors later. Change the flightplan from full approach to Vectors.

Change the IAF after an approach is activated to another IAF.

You are in a hold and forget to press the button to continue sequencing after you pass over FAF. Make the change back to the holding pattern.

Likewise how simple is to fix if the GPS has sequenced to the MAP but you are in a hold.

After missing navigate to the MAHP

After missing but before reaching the MAHP, reactivate the approach.

After missing dial in a new destination.

You’re VFR with flight following and get dropped from ATC. They say, contact "such and such approach in 20 miles. After call up, ATC wants your radial and DME from “backcountry VOR”. Also, bring up the radial and DME from the nearest VOR.

Intercept Victor airway (VOR radial) from a vector. For example you receive “Fly heading 330 intercept V44, resume own navigation.”

ATC queries you for the lat/long of the private airport you’re flying to. Quickly find it. In an emergency VFR without flight following, you need to provide ATC/Flight Service with your current lat/long. Find it.

Fly a procedure turn from a straight in to lose altitude. This will require you to suspend waypoint sequencing.

Fly a procedure turn from the opposite side

While on vectors, you hear “proceed direct xxx resume own navigation.” Go direct to next waypoint in flightplan.

Create a climb to profile. You must climb to a certain altitude before reaching a certain waypoint. Example, Cross “Intersection” at 5000

Pull up class B airspace altitudes while flying around Class B VFR

Create flightplan “around” airspace. For example you’re approaching Class B while VFR and can’t get a Class B clearance, but need to get to the opposite side. Add some waypoints around the rings so you can have positive navigation.

You’re flying on an IFR plan IMC over the mountains on an off route direct flight. Pull up the minimum safe altitude for your route.

Shoot a DME Arc approach

Hey Derek—sincere thanks for your “things to practice” Great! tom conley The simulator and the manual can be used to learn the box if you have some real world examples to plug in. However, first you must be able to learn through reading. For many of us, this is not an ideal learning environment for complex procedures. Also the simulator has some limitations. For example the VORs don’t really work. But, the simulator/manual combination can be effective if you can retain information and you have some real world examples to plug in. Below is a list of the things that I’ve written down to practice using the simulators. Many of these are real world items that I had to learn while flying behind an Apollo GX60 IFR GPS. I found that if you aren’t real comfortable with the box, you could have serious difficulty in a high stress situation. That’s the last thing you need in an IMC bumpy approach is futzing with the box because of a routing change, missed approach, or emergency.

Regards, Derek

Things to practice:

You’re flying along IMC and you have an emergency and must shoot an approach to the nearest airport. Find a suitable airport, change the flightplan, dial in the approach, and do it.

Insert/modify/delete a waypoint in the current flightplan while flying.

Add a STAR to a flightplan.

Change a STAR to a flightplan.

Delete a STAR to a flightplan.

You activate the approach without vectors, but receive vectors later. Change the flightplan from full approach to Vectors.

Change the IAF after an approach is activated to another IAF.

You are in a hold and forget to press the button to continue sequencing after you pass over FAF. Make the change back to the holding pattern.

Likewise how simple is to fix if the GPS has sequenced to the MAP but you are in a hold.

After missing navigate to the MAHP

After missing but before reaching the MAHP, reactivate the approach.

After missing dial in a new destination.

You’re VFR with flight following and get dropped from ATC. They say, contact "such and such approach in 20 miles. After call up, ATC wants your radial and DME from “backcountry VOR”. Also, bring up the radial and DME from the nearest VOR.

Intercept Victor airway (VOR radial) from a vector. For example you receive “Fly heading 330 intercept V44, resume own navigation.”

ATC queries you for the lat/long of the private airport you’re flying to. Quickly find it. In an emergency VFR without flight following, you need to provide ATC/Flight Service with your current lat/long. Find it.

Fly a procedure turn from a straight in to lose altitude. This will require you to suspend waypoint sequencing.

Fly a procedure turn from the opposite side

While on vectors, you hear “proceed direct xxx resume own navigation.” Go direct to next waypoint in flightplan.

Create a climb to profile. You must climb to a certain altitude before reaching a certain waypoint. Example, Cross “Intersection” at 5000

Pull up class B airspace altitudes while flying around Class B VFR

Create flightplan “around” airspace. For example you’re approaching Class B while VFR and can’t get a Class B clearance, but need to get to the opposite side. Add some waypoints around the rings so you can have positive navigation.

You’re flying on an IFR plan IMC over the mountains on an off route direct flight. Pull up the minimum safe altitude for your route.

Shoot a DME Arc approach

For example the VORs don’t really work. But, the simulator/manual combination can be effective if you can retain information and you have some real world examples to plug in.

Is that why the CDI needles don’t center properly during a VOR approach when VTAC is selected? I just started “playing” with it today for the first time; I’m picking up N762CD in three weeks and better start learning. By the way, were you able to “fly” any of the canned scenarios that match up to the examples in Chapter 5 of the 430 Manual? I fiddled around with them a little, but didn’t get what I expected. I’m starting to think that the best I’ll learn from the simulator is buttonology.

P. S. That’s a great practice list you put together.

Bob Mihocik

Westlake, OH

I replied to this to bring Derek Rowan’s Garmin Final Exam to the top for those interested it seeing the list again.

The two other units are the Apollo GX60 and the Bendix/King KLN 89B. ASA’s website has more info about the product at http://www.asa2fly.com I bought it from a discounter at http://www.marvgolden.com

Gary,

As a matter of interest, what are the “two other GPS units” in the program, and do you have a web site or other source by which one can contact ASA?

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks, Gary, for the good info.

Pete

The two other units are the Apollo GX60 and the Bendix/King KLN 89B. ASA’s website has more info about the product at http://www.asa2fly.com I bought it from a discounter at http://www.marvgolden.com

Gary,

Thanks,

Pete

I am just finsihing my training in Duluth (SR22) and agree strongly with what has been said:

1. you really do need to know your way around the Garmins - otherwise you will not be getting the most out of your training
  2. the ASA trainer is the best thing to start with. It is far easier to get to grips with than the free simulator.
  3. having been through the ASA trainer you then need to spend hours on the simulator (it will make sense to yoiu if you have been through the ASA trainer)
  4. Derek Rowan’s list of Garmin exercises is fantastic - if you can do all of those then you will have no problem.