Future Cirrus RG ??

Has anyone heard of any future plans for a RG version? The Cirrus sure does look nice. I would have to consider trading in my Commander if only the gear folded.

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

Commander 112A, N1299J

Has anyone heard of any future plans for a RG version? The Cirrus sure does look nice. I would have to consider trading in my Commander if only the gear folded.

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

Commander 112A, N1299J

My first question would be what could be gained by folding the gear?

On the plus side, maybe 5 knots. Well thats it for the plus side.

Eds top 10 on the negitive side,
1.cost of inspections and cost of mantaining the gear

1. cost of insurance for the low time pilots and everyone else, now we would have a complex airplane

2. What goes up does not always come down.

4.increase cost of production and in return increased cost to the consumer (ME).

5.I do not have a 5 but can,t stop on 4.

6-10. Work with me here, Im a little slow tonight!

have a great day to all and lets hear someone elses thoughts…Ed

p.s #1061 has 84 hours and all is great!

Bob,

There is no reason to wait to sign a contract. SR24 an RG version of the SR22 will be coming next. It took them only 9 months to get the SR22 certified and you bet it won’t take any longer to certify the SR24. So, since waiting time is 2 years anyway you might want to be at least one of the early SR24 drivers.

Just my 2 cents.

Placido

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

Commander 112A, N1299J

1. Added weight and corresponding decrease

in useful load.

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

Commander 112A, N1299J

1. cost of insurance for the low time pilots and everyone else, now we would have a complex airplane
  1. What goes up does not always come down.

4.increase cost of production and in return increased cost to the consumer (ME).

Excellent points, Ed.

Let me add one more for your side. >> Those nose gear doors sometimes rattle when you hit a bump on taxi. OK, one more… more weight.

Now, a couple more for the RG team (c’mon now… just one for our side?)

1-4. The folding draggy gear adds flexibility. Want to drop through that hole in the clouds? No problem. Drop the gear and flaps, throttle back and watch the air speed. Then watch your VSI drop off the scale as you go into freefall. A little high on final? No sweat, this thing’ll drop like a stone. A little fast entering the pattern? Just raise the nose and throttle back to gear extension speed and you have all the extra drag you would want.

1. What ya mean “only 5 more knots”? Remember, I’m a Commander driver. I’ll take every knot I can get.

6-9. If the gear happens to be of trailing link design, all the complaints about the Cirrus being hard to land would evaporate. This point alone would be a deal maker for me. Just ask anyone who has ever flown a Commander, or probably any plane with trailing link gear. Greasers are the norm.

#10. It just looks so COOL!

One more on the PLUS side, (but its a Cirrus benefit…) is that it opens up the market for trainers for Cirrus, as RG means complex means OK as CPL+ trainer…

Higher volume would mean lower pricing, so in the end it MAY end up as a benefit on the customer side…

HK

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

Commander 112A, N1299J

1. What goes up does not always come down.

Hello to all,

The best gain would be the looks.

Everything else mentioned above will be a drag…

One thing no one mention is the gears we have meet specific requirements for reducing the impact during a vertical decent. Yes, trailing links make a bad pilot look good, but even them wont help here. This means retesting? Let’s make some money first ok…

Have a great day, did you guys/gals received that real nice Christmas card from Cirrus. Wish I had about 150 of those to send out. Very nice Cirrus!

Woor

Have a great day, did you guys/gals received that real nice Christmas card from Cirrus. Wish I had about 150 of those to send out. Very nice Cirrus!

Hi Woor,

Maybe you got a different card than I did (from your previous posts you seem to have more contacts inside cirrus than a typical customer!) but the card I got was one of the AOPA Air Safety Foundation holiday cards. I agree - very nice, but if you really do want 150 of them to send out, you can get them – just go to Air Safety Institute - AOPA and click on “ASF Holiday Cards”. We’ve been sending them for a couple years now.

Now if you card you got had a picture of a Cirrus on it, that would be very cool – if it’s a particularly good picture maybe you can scan it for the rest of us!

Steve

I have to disagree. A retract Cirrus might look better in flight, but who sees you in flight? No, it’s on the ramp where looks count, and the fixed gear with snazzy wheel pants looks much more sleek than stubby rectactable gear with all the mechanicals hanging out. Of course, that may be outweighed by the macho image of retracts.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Joe

Hi Woor,

Maybe you got a different card than I did (from your previous posts you seem to have more contacts inside cirrus than a typical customer!) but the card I got was one of the AOPA Air Safety Foundation holiday cards. I agree - very nice, but if you really do want 150 of them to send out, you can get them – just go to Air Safety Institute - AOPA and click on “ASF Holiday Cards”. We’ve been sending them for a couple years now.

Now if you card you got had a picture of a Cirrus on it, that would be very cool – if it’s a particularly good picture maybe you can scan it for the rest of us!

Steve

Mine has Cirrus N# N100CD on the side, without the scimitar. It looks like it came from a print as it has a signature at the bottom. A full size print suitable for framing would be great. Sorry, don’t have a scanner.

Mike Myers

Hello Steve,

This is no AOPA card. It is a very nice looking Cirrus on the card N100CD. I think the reason I got it is because they have more of my moneis. Which is ok. I feel good to know that I am helping Cirrus to help us. What goes around comes around. Have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

Mine has Cirrus N# N100CD on the side, without the scimitar. It looks like it came from a print as it has a signature at the bottom. A full size print suitable for framing would be great. Sorry, don’t have a scanner.

For those of you who haven’t yet received your card in the mail, you may view it on the Photo Gallery page at: http://sr20.net

Bob

I have to disagree. A retract Cirrus might look better in flight, but who sees you in flight? No, it’s on the ramp where looks count, and the fixed gear with snazzy wheel pants looks much more sleek than stubby rectactable gear with all the mechanicals hanging out. Of course, that may be outweighed by the macho image of retracts.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Joe

One guy’s opinion: I remember it as if it was yesterday. A mentor of mine in 1967 introduced me to the “KISS Principle” of managing one’s business, and even one’s life. KISS being an acronym for “Keep It Simple Stupid”. Some of the best advice I ever received. Bottom line, I’ll be happy as can be in an SR24. What are a few more knots going to do for me in the real world, as counterbalanced against the benfits of simplicity?

Pete

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Joe

One guy’s opinion: I remember it as if it was yesterday. A mentor of mine in 1967 introduced me to the “KISS Principle” of managing one’s business, and even one’s life. KISS being an acronym for “Keep It Simple Stupid”. Some of the best advice I ever received. Bottom line, I’ll be happy as can be in an SR24. What are a few more knots going to do for me in the real world, as counterbalanced against the benfits of simplicity?

Pete

OK, Guys. I hafta agree with all of you and there’s not one bad argument listed here. A Cirrus with RG would be more expensive and complex and would add the element of a couple more things to remember before landing. But if that were the only criteria, we would see a bunch of fixed gear Bonanzas and Malibus on our ramps. Now that would be an odd sight,IMHO. It comes down to personal preference, really, and as to buyers of Cirrus RGs I think “If you build them, they will come”. No doubt about it. Just look at Piper’s Cherokee and Arrow. Same plane, different gear. They’ve sold a bunch of both. For whatever the reason, when you get used to flying with folding wheels, flying with fixed gear seems almost like taking a step backwards.

I, for one of many, can’t wait for the SR24.

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

N1299J

Actually I do own a retract and like the idea of “wheels in the well” too! But my TB20 Trinidad looks smaller and less impressive on the ramp than a nice TB10 Tobago, IMHO, – which is the same airframe but with fixed gear. The TB10 sits higher on its gear and looks more substantial, and the wheel pants add a certain panache.

That said, however, I’m quite willing to put up with the expense and risk of a retractable to get the improved performance and more macho feel.

Again, YMMV!

Joe

OK, Guys. I hafta agree with all of you and there’s not one bad argument listed here. A Cirrus with RG would be more expensive and complex and would add the element of a couple more things to remember before landing. But if that were the only criteria, we would see a bunch of fixed gear Bonanzas and Malibus on our ramps. Now that would be an odd sight,IMHO. It comes down to personal preference, really, and as to buyers of Cirrus RGs I think “If you build them, they will come”. No doubt about it. Just look at Piper’s Cherokee and Arrow. Same plane, different gear. They’ve sold a bunch of both. For whatever the reason, when you get used to flying with folding wheels, flying with fixed gear seems almost like taking a step backwards.

Just keep in mind that everyone else had to fold their gears to achieve what we do with the gears hanging out. :slight_smile:

Have you hugged your Cirrus today?

Woor

N555WP

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

Commander 112A, N1299J

Two more cons:

1. As far as I know no one ever forgot to put the lander gear on a fixed gear airplane down.

2. CD continually speaks of making a safe airplane. Less opportunitu for human or mechanical failure = more safety.

Other notes:

Trailing link gear = even MOPE Weight.

The gears ability to help you slow down is really a factor of the maximum speed upon which you can lower it.

Gear doors which don’t close cleanly add drag and slow you down.

Marty

Bob Wilburn (BTR)

Commander 112A, N1299J

Two more cons:

1. As far as I know no one ever forgot to put the lander gear on a fixed gear airplane down.
  1. CD continually speaks of making a safe airplane. Less opportunitu for human or mechanical failure = more safety.

Other notes:

Trailing link gear = even MOPE Weight.

The gears ability to help you slow down is really a factor of the maximum speed upon which you can lower it.

Gear doors which don’t close cleanly add drag and slow you down.

Marty

What about speed brakes? How easily could these be added to an SR22 airframe? I’d rather have brakes for drag than landing gear. I’m less likely to ever forget the speed brakes. Also, if they fail to deploy on final there is less noise on roll-out :>)

George

Has anyone heard of any future plans for a RG versi

What about speed brakes? How easily could these be added to an SR22 airframe? I’d rather have brakes for drag than landing gear. I’m less likely to ever forget the speed brakes. Also, if they fail to deploy on final there is less noise on roll-out :>)

George

But the rollout is longer :~)