Cirro-productionology and Radio Theft

I spoke Cirrus today to find out if they had any new information on when SR22 #34 will be ready. The contract date is April 30. The most recent thing I heard was “maybe May”. Today they said they didn’t have firm dates yet – I guess they are still in their replan. But they said roughly “late May”. So it isn’t slipping much. They emphasized that this was a rough estimate.

They also said that #34 would be the 22nd SR22 and that contract #80 would be reached after 65 actual SR22’s had been delivered. This was the first time I had heard the correspondence between contract numbers and a/c. It is useful to know this when trying to gauge the effect of production rates on when a particular contract number will turn into a real plane.

Remember that the first 200 or so SR20’s have many holes as about 20% of the SR20 position holders converted to SR22 positions. I don’t know what the correspondence is for SR20’s.

Rob

PS. Taxing back at PAO about 10 days ago, I saw Paul’s SR22. After tying down, I walked over for a peek. It is gorgeous.

PPS. There is a case of an SR20 parked at a small airport in California which had all of its avionics stolen (or so I was told). I wondered whether the GNS 430 would become a target for theives that the KX155 has been. Does anyone else have information on this? I hoped that Garmin would put in logic to disable the radio if stolen, like many German car radios. I know you’d have to do this very carefully so as to not have it lock up in flight after cycling power or something.

Or perhaps there is some other method for reducing our radios appeal to theives. Does anyone worry about taking their Cirrus’s to Mexico? Do you take special precautions?

I’ve been watching Cirrus’ “aircraft delivery” reports on their web site. From August 16 to December 11, they averaged almost exactly 3 days per plane. Then for one week (December 11 to December 18) they managed 1 day per plane. Since then (December 18 to present) it’s back to 3 days per plane. (Of course these are averages, since the posting dates are somewhat sporadic. Also, I’m assuming that when they switched the report from “SR20’s to date” to “SR20’s delivered”, the delta was 6 planes in the pipeline.)

At a 3 day/plane rate, they would produce 28 planes between now and the last day of May. So if they are going to reach the 22nd SR22 by then, they must be ready to ramp-up again pretty soon (or to switch from mostly SR20s to mostly SR22s).

What’s that quote about producing a wealth of conclusion from a paucity of data?

I spoke Cirrus today to find out if they had any new information on when SR22 #34 will be ready. The contract date is April 30. The most recent thing I heard was “maybe May”. Today they said they didn’t have firm dates yet – I guess they are still in their replan. But they said roughly “late May”. So it isn’t slipping much. They emphasized that this was a rough estimate.

They also said that #34 would be the 22nd SR22 and that contract #80 would be reached after 65 actual SR22’s had been delivered.

PS. Taxing back at PAO about 10 days ago, I saw Paul’s SR22. After tying down, I walked over for a peek. It is gorgeous.

Concur. My wife and I got to plant our posteriors in the front seats for a bit while Paul was preflighting for departure from Napa. To my eyes (and posterior!) the interior does seem incrementally but significantly refined from the SR20. The upholstery was great and even a little guy like myself (5’6" on a good day) could easily find a seating position where everything fell readily to hand (and feet).

Going to hassle Paul shamelessly for that demo ride when the weather’s better here! I think with all that power up front, instead of calling for “full power” for takeoff, we’ll all start saying “Engage!” instead…

Does anyone worry about taking their Cirrus’s to Mexico? Do you take special precautions?

We don’t have a Cirrus yet, but would definitely never go to Mexico if we wanted to keep the plane – never mind the avionics. We enjoyed a trip to Mexico 20 years ago (except for the Montezuma’s revenge), but I wouldn’t go back today even by airline.

At a 3 day/plane rate, they would produce 28 planes between now and the last day of May. So if they are going to reach the 22nd SR22 by then, they must be ready to ramp-up again pretty soon (or to switch from mostly SR20s to mostly SR22s).

From what I’ve heard, the intent is to catch up on the SR22s once the production issues are straightened out. This will presumably be realized as a high 22 density on the line for some period of time. (Since they’re spitting out nothing but 20s right now, the end result ought to be that they won’t fall much further behind on 20s in the long run; in fact, it’s probably a bit more efficient to do them in blocks in the near term.)

Where does one follow production rates on the Cirrus web site? Can you simply copy the URL from the site to your response? As a Mac user, the Cirrus site is tough to navigate and occasionally impossible. But, with the URL, I might have a chance. Many thanks,

Lee

I’ve been watching Cirrus’ “aircraft delivery” reports on their web site. From August 16 to December 11, they averaged almost exactly 3 days per plane. Then for one week (December 11 to December 18) they managed 1 day per plane. Since then (December 18 to present) it’s back to 3 days per plane. (Of course these are averages, since the posting dates are somewhat sporadic. Also, I’m assuming that when they switched the report from “SR20’s to date” to “SR20’s delivered”, the delta was 6 planes in the pipeline.)

What’s that quote about producing a wealth of conclusion from a paucity of data?

They also said that #34 would be the 22nd SR22 and that contract #80 would be reached after 65 actual SR22’s had been delivered.

Yes, it is tough. Here’s their http://www.cirrusdesign.com/supportbars/feature_plate.htmproduction update. If that url changes, you can go to www.cirrusdesign.com and click on “What’s New”.

Where does one follow production rates on the Cirrus web site? Can you simply copy the URL from the site to your response? As a Mac user, the Cirrus site is tough to navigate and occasionally impossible. But, with the URL, I might have a chance. Many thanks,

Lee