FADEC

When will FADEC be available in the SR22.

In reply to:

When will FADEC be available in the SR22?

Well, that’s anyone’s guess. I would be surprised if it didn’t finally happen during the coming year, but I said that last year, too.

I had it as a condition on my contract, but I elected to pull the trigger and take delivery of a PFD-equipped SR22 in March '03 without it. Actually, I like what I see about GAMI’s PRISM system. Perhaps that will be available by the time I’m at TBO (although it could quite easily be installed before TBO).

My understanding is that Cirrus has not been too impressed with the results of the Continental FADEC system so far. It is not a HOT item on their agenda. The advantages may have been a bit oversold so far. If I were considering a new purchase now, I would actually consider FADEC a low priority as it seems it will be a long time before it is perfected.

Brian,
FADEC is something I aspect anxiosly because of the improvement system promise.
Onestly what I read about it and his late availability, oblige me to scratch my head because all announced from this system seems far to be proved (as Gordon said: “I told the same one year ago…”).
One thing I do not understand is:
Who can tell me what about run at LOP / ROP with FADEC?
Oly ROP will be possible?
Or, LOP/ROP will be runned on an algorithm basic about % of power applied?

Thank.

Maurizio:
With FADEC, there will be no mixture control so LOP vs ROP will be moot. The real untested question is: Will it allow our engines to run more efficiebtly or not. A lot of us, with engine montitors, are now seeing the advantage of LOP operations. For the SR22, it is saving a lot of fuel which maximizes the plane’s range. I am getting 170-170 KTS TAS with only 13.8-14.2 gallons per hour.
That gives a range of close to 900 miles in the 22 in 5.5 hours!
I do not know how FADEC will make that any better?

In reply to:

One thing I do not understand is:
Who can tell me what about run at LOP / ROP with FADEC?
Oly ROP will be possible?
Or, LOP/ROP will be runned on an algorithm basic about % of power applied?

The intention in the Cirrus is to have a switch that you will use to select “best power” versus “best economy.” “Best power” runs the engine rich of peak, while “Best economy” runs it lean of peak.

I have specifically confirmed with Aerosance on several occasions that FADEC will utilize LOP operation.

So, since Aerosance is owned by Teledyne Continental, it seems that they are finally admitting that LOP operation is not only OK but is optimal! Deakin wins!

Brian, In theory, as I understand FADEC, you will get additional benefits in that there will be variable spark plug timing that is always optimized for the specific power setting. There will also be electronic ignition in place of magnetos. Whether this is a benefit or a drawback I don’t know.
I agree that with engine monitoring and running lean of peak the economy you can currently get is awsome.

In reply to:

So, since Aerosance is owned by Teledyne Continental, it seems that they are finally admitting that LOP operation is not only OK but is optimal! Deakin wins!

I think at least one of the two engine manufacturers admitted that it was theoretically better, but all of us moronic pilots were too stupid to learn how to do it without damaging the engine. Their computer, on the other hand…

Marty

Their computer, on the other hand…

… knows how to run lean of peak, but is too stupid to start the engine under varying conditions :slight_smile:

-Mike

Jerry:
You mentioned the key phrase; will those extra spark plug features REALLY make a difference. Cirrrus is not impressed so far so is not pushing FADEC as much as a year ago.
I’m not convinced myself it was worth the original enthusiasm but will see if they come up with a better mousetrap.