FADEC info

The January, 2001, Flying has an ad on page 7 from Continental regarding FADEC. News to me is that they have a web site:

www.fadec.com

It appears that they are ready to ship STC kits in the very near future. They are even taking orders on the web site. Looks like the Malibu, 210, and some Lancair models will go out the door shortly. Current rack rate for the big bore Continentals is about $8K plus installation plus an ‘installation’ kit which are yet to be determined.

Like many of you, I would prefer to have this as a factory option on my SR22/20. I’m still hoping that my Feb '02 delivery will have this option. I’m more than happy to wait for the aircaft and would prefer that others, via the STC kits, learn the early delivery bugs.

The January, 2001, Flying has an ad on page 7 from Continental regarding FADEC. News to me is that they have a web site:

www.fadec.com

It appears that they are ready to ship STC kits in the very near future. They are even taking orders on the web site. Looks like the Malibu, 210, and some Lancair models will go out the door shortly. Current rack rate for the big bore Continentals is about $8K plus installation plus an ‘installation’ kit which are yet to be determined.

Like many of you, I would prefer to have this as a factory option on my SR22/20. I’m still hoping that my Feb '02 delivery will have this option. I’m more than happy to wait for the aircaft and would prefer that others, via the STC kits, learn the early delivery bugs.

Looking at the list they have for STCs, I doubt it will be ready for February. BUT, since it’s their engine, new, I think it would be a good idea if all of us, who is interested add your name to their mailing list and in the suggestion box, add that you will have a Cirrus, and hope this will be available option. Maybe they will send a note to Cirrus if there is enough interest, that Cirrus should add FADEC as a factoru option. If it only comes from us is one thing, but from Continental is one more angle, one more chance that it WILL be an option.

Michael

I emailed TCM over the weekend and received this response this afternoon:

"FADEC is being worked on for the SR22 and should be certified/available by fall of this year. Please contact Cirrus directly

to get the official word on availability.

Happy new year!

Harry Griswold

Customer Support"

FYI my SR22 position is 122 and I have been quoted delivery of October 2001.

www.fadec.com

www.fadec.com

Looking at the list they have for STCs, I doubt it will be ready for February. BUT, since it’s their engine, new, I think it would be a good idea if all of us, who is interested add your name to their mailing list and in the suggestion box, add that you will have a Cirrus, and hope this will be available option. Maybe they will send a note to Cirrus if there is enough interest, that Cirrus should add FADEC as a factoru option. If it only comes from us is one thing, but from Continental is one more angle, one more chance that it WILL be an option.

Michael

Good idea, Michael. Note that my delivery is February, 2002 so maybe I have a chance…

Chris

Maybe they will send a note to Cirrus if there is enough interest, that Cirrus should add FADEC as a factoru option.

From what I’ve heard, I think the FADEC will be a high priority for both Cirrus and Continental - if for no other reason than the fact that engine problems have been a major warranty cost for Continental, and they apparently believe that much of it is due to mishandling of the engine, which FADEC will eliminate. That is of course not unique to Cirrus, but given CD’s cutting-edge position, I think this is one thing that will happen sooner rather than later.

CD apparently recently received a FADEC engine for testing and certification work. So sometime next year would seem very likely for it to be available.

Maybe they will send a note to Cirrus if there is enough interest, that Cirrus should add FADEC as a factoru option.

From what I’ve heard, I think the FADEC will be a high priority for both Cirrus and Continental - if for no other reason than the fact that engine problems have been a major warranty cost for Continental, and they apparently believe that much of it is due to mishandling of the engine, which FADEC will eliminate. That is of course not unique to Cirrus, but given CD’s cutting-edge position, I think this is one thing that will happen sooner rather than later.

CD apparently recently received a FADEC engine for testing and certification work. So sometime next year would seem very likely for it to be available.

It’s really good news!!!

I do beleive that much of the problems are stemming from mishandling and just plain not knowing what to do at a ceratin time/situation. I don’t know anything, yet, about the FADEC that will be available, but since it’s all electronic, there might be some kind of computer download possible, so you can check all engine parameters at home. (I can’t see how else Continental could check the mishandling issue. Maybe they will have something like this built-in to the electronics.) If not I’ll check with them later what kind of outputs they have, and a simple circuitry, with a flash-memory could save all the information. Just an idea.

(I can’t see how else Continental could check the mishandling issue.

The point about the FADEC is not that it will log the engine parameters (though I would be surprised if it doesn’t) but that it will not allow mishandling. With the elimination of the mixture control, about the only way the pilot could mishandle the engine will be a full-throttle power dive that could exceed the prop governor range, but I suspect you would exceed Vne before that happened.