Engine Monitor Installation Cost

A number of people have ased me to post the cost of installing the Arnav engine moniter. I got the news yesterday - 6 days @ $600/day $3600 total. Ouch! All said and done, worth it.

Separately, Arnav increased the cost of the data card unit by $75 after they shipped to us. They wouldn’t hold to their original cost quote. Great unit; apparently good to work with for the FBO. However, Arnav is looking a little shady and greedy to me.

A number of people have ased me to post the cost of installing the Arnav engine moniter. I got the news yesterday - 6 days @ $600/day $3600 total. Ouch! All said and done, worth it.

Separately, Arnav increased the cost of the data card unit by $75 after they shipped to us. They wouldn’t hold to their original cost quote. Great unit; apparently good to work with for the FBO. However, Arnav is looking a little shady and greedy to me.

Andy,

I picked up my airplane yesterday, with ARNAV Engine Monitor and GPSS installations done. PIREP later, but regarding installation costs… the Cirrus Service Center (Lincoln Park Aviation) that installed the ARNAV stuff agreed upfront to cap installation costs at $600. I believe they quoted a subsequent customer a fixed cost of $700. The job looks clean, and all seems to be in order (after 30 minutes of experience, flying it home).

As for the GPSS, that was a different story. It was installed by an avionics shop; took 26 hours @ $60/hour = $1,560 in labor, on top of $900 parts. I seem to recall someone reporting their GPSS cost about $900 installed? Wattadeal!

• Mike.

As for the GPSS, that was a different story. It was installed by an avionics shop; took 26 hours @ $60/hour = $1,560 in labor, on top of $900 parts. I seem to recall someone reporting their GPSS cost about $900 installed? Wattadeal!

Whew! I also saw that post about $900 installed, only I was thinking “wattasucker” (about myself)… Your post makes me feel a lot better!

I believe S-Tec used to sell GPSS for something like $500-600 and only recently – sometime this year – raised the price to $900-$1000. So assuming the $900 installation was prior to the price increase it does explain a few hundred dollars. But it still sounds like a great deal!

Steve

Whew! I also saw that post about $900 installed, only I was thinking “wattasucker” (about myself)… Your post makes me feel a lot better!

I believe S-Tec used to sell GPSS for something like $500-600 and only recently – sometime this year – raised the price to $900-$1000. So assuming the $900 installation was prior to the price increase it does explain a few hundred dollars. But it still sounds like a great deal!

Steve

Dumb question, but, what is GPSS?

Dumb question, but, what is GPSS?

Paul,

Check the archives or the http://www.s-tec.comS-tec web site for more details but the main features are these:

• connects GPS directly to the autopilot (normally, GPS drives CDI which drives A/P).

• that means if the HSI fails, the A/P can still track a course.

• and it seems to do a better job of keeping you nailed exactly on course

• also means that the A/P can follow any arbitrarily dog-legged flight plan in the GPS, without having to keep spinning the CDI needle or going briefly to HDG mode at each turn, etc.

At some point I think it will be standard on new planes, so if you’re SR22 #250, you may already have it on your plane?

Steve

Re:

At some point I think it will be standard on new planes, so if you’re SR22 #250, you may already have it on your plane?

The S-Tec 55X that is part of the SR22 B package has built-in GPSS. I assumed therefore that the SR-22 B rolls out the door with GPSS capability up and running. Is that not correct?

Gordon

Re:

The S-Tec 55X that is part of the SR22 B package has built-in GPSS. I assumed therefore that the SR-22 B rolls out the door with GPSS capability up and running. Is that not correct?

Gordon

Gordon,

You’re probably right - I’m not really keeping up with the current options packages, particularly on the -22. I only meant to point out to Paul that he may already get GPSS as part of his factory-delivered plane.

Steve