E14 - European Migration to Kalamata, Greece

The European Migration to Kalamata, Greece, is live and online !!

Please note the following important updates:

50+ ATTENDEES ALREADY REGISTERD !!!

ONLY 113 DAYS TO THE START OF THE MIGRATION ! May 26 - 29, 2016 !!!

SPLIT, CROATIA, HAS BEEN SELECTED AS A PRE-MIGRATION OVERNIGHT STOP - May 25/26.

THE EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION HAS BEEN EXTENDED FOR 2 DAYS - IT NOW ENDS FEBRUARY 2, 2016. DEFINITELY !! After Febr. 2, the REGULAR FEE applies.

THE HOTEL BLOCK RUNS OUT ON MARCH 31 - AFTER THAT DATE HIGHER ROOM CHARGES WILL APPLY.

Up to now, we already have 50+ registrations for this event. They include COPA President, Andy Niemyer, and his wife, Lisa, who are very excited to meet as many European Cirrus pilots and COPA members as possible. Andy will give a speech summing up the results presented during M13 in Dallas - mainly concerning the new COPA organization and the Training and Safety Foundation which is making great progress.

We are aware that flying your Cirrus to Greece is a long trip, particularly if you are coming from as far as England or Ireland. We are happy to announce that hotel accommodation for an overnight stop in Split, Croatia, is now arranged for. We’ll pick you up at the Split airport on May 25 for a local tour, have dinner together, and bring you back to the airport next morning for your remaining flight to Kalamata. Separate emails will go out soon to all who have registered already.

We are currently working on a post-Migration event on one of the beautiful Greek islands. Stay tuned for an update soon.

FOR THOSE OF YOU FLYING IN COMMERCIALLY FROM OTHER CONTINENTS (LIKE USA), THERE ARE GOOD CONNECTIONS INTO ATHENS, GREECE. DELTA FLIES JFK-ATH DIRECT, OTHER AIRLINES HAVE SIMILAR CONNECTIONS.

Please note that May 26-29 is a long weekend in many European countries with Thursday being a holiday. A good reason to join the Migration !

More details are here:

https://regonline.com/e14copacirrusmigration2016

Best regards,

Timm + Gerda Preusser Chris + Androniki Leontopoulos

Looking great Timm. I’m starting to fix my plans and am hopeful of signing up. I think I read some where that Kalamata ordinarily doesn’t have AVGAS but that you/COPA have arranged for supplies? Any idea what the ballpark cost per litre will be for the fuel?

Hello Morgan,

Yes, there will be AVGAS throughout the days of the event for everybody.

We expect the price per litre to be 2.6-2.8 Euros, however, this is an estimate.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Ouch - I guess that’s the necessary price when considering the need to ship in the AVGAS and make it commercially viable. Are there any good fuel stops a close distance to Kalamata for prices <€2? I recall Tivat in Montenegro was super cheap, but a bureaucratic pain to fly into.

Hi Timm,

what was not mentioned yet: Is it possible to fly to Kalamata directly from Germany (Schengen), or is a stop at Corfu necessary? I’ve flown to Greence twice and always had to land in Corfu!

(Not sure yet if I can attend, but trying my best).

If anybody needs information about SPLIT, Croatia, – that’s my second hometown and I can give you all information you need!

Hi Morgan,
the last cheaper fuel stop that is practical is Dubrovnik, LDDU, which is about € 2.25 at the moment … so the difference is not worth the landing fee.

Hello Alexis,

Yes, you may come direct from anywhere, as LGKL is an international airport with customs.

Corfu (LGKR) is just a convenient stop from the North West , it is 24/7 and has got Avgas.

But since it is going to be our “fly-out destination” after Kalamata, it may be best to come direct from Split or Dubrovnik or indeed direct from Germany or Austria (Gratz) if you have strong tailwinds…

Hope to see you there…!

Kind Regards,

Chris

Just over a week to go and am getting excited [H]

We’re routing Biggin - Grenoble - Salerno (for Amalfi coast overnight stop) - Kalamata and then will visit Santorini for a couple of nights before returning Dubrovnik - Lugano - Sion - Biggin.

First time to both the Amalfi Coast and Greece, very pleased to be doing it in Cirrus style [:D]

Just for planning purposes, would you have any update on the expected fuel price?

While I envy you guys flying in beautiful Southern Europe this time of the year, I do not envy paying the fuel price of 2.6 Euros per liter! Close to me, an airport sells 100LL for $3.80 per gallon!

Having said that, I will certainly look forward to coming to a future European event. Have fun!

Hello Morgan,

I am too excited about your trip… !

The fuel price is going to be 2.498 Euros plus VAT (23%). Unfortunately, the recent increases in taxes and the fuel transportation expenses increased the price above to what I had expected. The provider will be AirBP and you could pay by cc, AirBP card or cash.

Everybody MUST refuel patiently upon arrival (please come early). Fuel will be available on Thursday 26 and Friday the 27th only.

For Santorini, I assume you have contacted Santorini Swissport, told them that you are an AOPA member of UK, hence you pay only around 20 Euros handling fee (instead of 95(!)), and they have secured a parking space for you. I also assume you have booked a hotel (my favourite is Atlantis hotel at Fira due to its views/price). Do not rent a car. Just use a taxi. Fill up at Kalamata and on your way from Santorini to Dubrovnik you stop at Corfu for Avgas. Any further queries, feel free to ask.

Hint: Approaching Santorini, cancel your IFR plan (assuming it is VMC) and (kindly) ask the tower for a 1500 ft low pass around the “caldera” in the volcano area… Commencing the circle, flaps 50% and get somebody to take photos… After the 360 circle go south enough to intersect the runway extended line, turn left and land…

Chris - thank you for the information. I love the idea of the Caldera tour! We’ve booked a hotel called ‘Above Blue Suites’ which I think is located in or near Fira but will make a note of your suggestion for our next visit! [:)]

I think I’m booked in with Swissport - I’ve certainly got a PPR number from the airport already. But your message has prompted me to send them an email just to double check. As you mention the handling fees are expensive - they’ve actually increased to 125 euros reduced to 30 euros for AOPA members. I signed up to AOPA UK specifically for this trip!

Our ETA for Kalamata is probably going to be around 2-3pm local. Hope there are some cold beers available to buy whilst we wait for the AVGAS! [6]

Chris - I see on your website that the Migration has made the TV news! Or at least thats what I assume the tv interview is about given I didn’t understand a word [:D] Great stuff!

https://youtu.be/tKFSTjdMp3o

Hello Morgan,

yes, it made the news and the local authorities were then convinced to sponsor a small part of the arrival reception. So, now, I am famous… [H]

By now you must have seen the overall Migration program that Timm sent and for info, I attach a view of the airport ground movements (military side) , which may help for the arrival (red) and the departure (black). As fuel will only be available on Thursday and Friday, it is imperative that re-fueling takes place immediately upon arrival and before parking. Thus, you may have to either practice your hot starts or …your towbar.[:D]

On Thursday the forecast predicts around 45-50 knots northwesterly winds at FL100 (but nearly calm on the surface), so if you get in the stream all the way to KAM then you arrive fast and economical.

And yes, I hope that there will be plenty of cold beer in the hangar… let’s see…

Safe Flight !