Cleaning

Have a couple of questions for the group.

1. Cleaning the leather seats. I have some pen marks already because I’m an idiot. What’s a good way to clean the leather that’s in the plane? I’ve heard Saddle Soap is good and I’ve heard it is bad. I’ve heard hairspray works too. What do you think?

2. Has anyone used WashWaxAll? Mike Busch hadn’t used it and was looking for some users to try. Has anyone tried it within the first 90 days when you shouldn’t wax? Does it even have wax stuff in it?

Thanks!

Derek

*> Has anyone used WashWaxAll? Mike Busch hadn’t used it and was looking for some users to try. Has anyone tried it within the first 90 days when you shouldn’t wax? Does it even have wax stuff in it?*Derek,
I can’t answer the question about the pen marks (I’m an idiot, too; I just haven’t done that particular thing yet).

I can tell you that I’ve used WashWaxAll almost since day one, based on a pile of discussion on the forum. (See Washing your bird! [Ed Boland, 12/20/00] , and others you can find with the Search function). Supposedly, it contains nothing harmful to our finish. It does work quite well on all but the most stubborn marks. Actually, now that you mention it… I’ve never used any conventional wax at all on my airplane - ONLY the WashWaxAll. Obviously, it pays to attack the little bugs and other nameless lurgies as soon as possible after you land - it’s much easier than after their little corpses harden.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Derek,

There is wax in WashWaxAll. It’s one of the things that makes it so good. Leaves a very slick and smooth finish. For this reason, we did not use this product until after the first 90 days. This was probably a bit conservative, but we were just being cautious with our paint job because there seems to be no guidance in this matter. We now use it after almost every flight. BTW, the Aero Scrubber is fantastic and is a must have item to go with the WashWaxAll and can be purchased from the same supplier.

Hair spray will remove many inks. Try a small amount on a cloth and see if it works on your ink. I would try that before trying any other cleaning methods or you may set the ink.

Wal-Mart sells two leather seat cleaners (automotive dep’t) that I know work on ink. Believe it or not, it wasn’t me.

However, I do have an oil stain on the seat, about the size of a dime, because I too am an idiot. Other than letting it dissipate over time, any suggestions?

I have cleaned ink from leather car seats, using hair spray, and or lemon juice, after normal cleaning failed. On one occasion, the lemon juice worked where the hair spray did not. In either event, be sure to clean all traces of these from the leather when done cleaning. Lemon juice can act as a mild bleach if allowed to sit.

Mike, thanks a lot. do you know if I can use it within the first 90 day period. The bottle doesn’t say what’s in it.

Thanks again!

> Mike, thanks a lot. do you know if I can use it within the first 90 day period. The bottle doesn’t say what’s in it.

Derek,

Although I said “almost since day one”, I actually did wait the 90 days. There was no dirt I couldn’t remove with water alone, although it took some effort. Of course, it was winter - so I was removing mostly mud and dirt, as opposed to insects. I used my best interpretation of the guidelines I got from Cirrus; I suggest you do whatever you’re comfortable with.

I have been using Plexus to clean the windows - that has worked well, and this time I do mean since day one.

Mike.

Thanks Mike!

I use the same combination on my plane. Took a can of Plexus to Duluth when I picked up the bird. By the way, use cloth towels on the windows, never paper towels – paper can scratch the plastic.

-Mike

Thanks! I didn’t know about the scrubber. Thanks!

For those that are interested:

Derek

I use WashWaxAll after each flight and fAST Wax, an aerosol wax product without any silicones for waxing. Both work very well,
and the combination is even better. In spite of its name, I do not think WashWaxAll does much in the waxing dep’t.

Marty

Andy,
I had a very stubborn, unknown stain on some leather seats that an upholstery shop suggested I use lighter fluid to clean. It did not work on the stubborn stain, but it worked on several other areas that were just soiled. They said to remoisturize with a leather conditioner afterwards.
FWIW,
Greg

Thanks! Where can I find Fast Wax?

Sheesh! You guys sound like a bunch of girls, so fastidious about the cleaning thing! Maybe I’ll care as much if/when I own a new plane.

Nevertheless, my tip for the board (and being the lazy slug that I am), is that I have on occassion sprayed my leading edges and prop with Pledge furniture polish. It tends to make the bugs slide off as soon as they hit. It really does keep it cleaner (and what does stick comes off a lot easier). I’ve heard it helps reduce rime ice, but don’t care to test that one. It’s very simple and fast and saves a lot of elbow grease. I’ve no idea what it does for my paint job though (which is 16 years old). Any other experience with this…is this safe for the SR-20???

Thanks! Great tip!