Cleaning

Just spent a few hours and alot of elbow grease getting the exhaust residue off the belly of my SR20. Does any one know of any product that cleans that residue off easy. I was using wash n wax all which i like for detailing but doues not seem to do well with the heavy grime

Just spent a few hours and alot of elbow grease getting the exhaust residue off the belly of my SR20. Does any one know of any product that cleans that residue off easy. I was using wash n wax all which i like for detailing but doues not seem to do well with the heavy grime

You may be using the regular strength product. They also have a heavy duty version that works well on the belly.

I just got back from a round trip in and found the belly quite dirty and it needs cleaning. I also have blue fuel stains. Where do you get the wash and wax either heavy duty or regular.

The company that makes corrosion X has a product that acts like a sealer and prevents stains from forming, I think it is called JetX. I think the web page is WWW.corrosionx.com

I bought a cleaner from ZEP. I believe it was called Airplane Cleaner II. It is made for airplanes and will not damage aluminum. Just dilute it with water, then wash and rinse the airplane. Only bad thing is that they sell it in a 5-gallon bucket. Works great, exhaust residue comes off without scrubbing!

Stan New

I use kerosene on a terrycloth towel to remove the oil and grime followed by soap and water to remove the kerosene. Fire departments have been using kerosene for years to keep their trucks shiny and bright. The closer you get to the exhaust the more difficult because of the heat factor.

Bob Mihocik

N762CD / SR22 #62

Howard,

When I was picking up my plane in Duluth last week they were cleaning the underside of it. The Cirrus employee told me they use regular rubbing alcohol to clean the oil and exhaust stains.

Jeff

I have used Belly Wash, an aircraft degreaser made by Protective Products Corporation in Johnston, Iowa (888) 772-1277. It is available from TIG (The Investment Group) (641)752-7876.

The product works very well and removes the exhaust residue easily. It is nontoxic and biodegradable.

Don’t use that crap.That was and wax all.It don’t work and gives you tennis elbow.Use oven cleaner.You know that kind the nanny or housekeeper uses.It’s the only thing that works.When your done throw some good wax on it.Your dealing with carbon.We used it for years.If you think im wrong ,you’re wrong.FYI,if you want your perty paint job to last and last,wash all your bugs off after each flight.Don’t be lazy.Bug insides can kils and dull paint in a short time.Spend the extra time.Also your speed … bugs kill speed,even a few.Ask the german sailplane pilots. -j

Indeed true, some sailplanes even have bug wippers on the leading edge of the wings and the final glide computers have input to compensate for the bug effect… On gliders regular cleaning is done only with plain water, a sponge and some type of synthetic goat skin. Waxing is not done that often also because it’s hard work polishing two 40 feets long wings. :slight_smile:

JJ

…bugs kill speed,even a few.Ask the german sailplane pilots. -j

Don’t use that crap.That was and wax all.It don’t work and gives you tennis elbow.Use oven cleaner.You know that kind the nanny or housekeeper uses.It’s the only thing that works.When your done throw some good wax on it.Your dealing with carbon.We used it for years.If you think im wrong ,you’re wrong.FYI,if you want your perty paint job to last and last,wash all your bugs off after each flight.Don’t be lazy.Bug insides can kils and dull paint in a short time.Spend the extra time.Also your speed … bugs kill speed,even a few.Ask the german sailplane pilots. -j

Jeff,

I picked up on the “nanny/housekeeper” reference. I got a big laugh from that one, keep up the good work!

I picked up on the “nanny/housekeeper” reference. I got a big laugh from that one, keep up the good work!

haha… ok I get nutty sometimes. later -j

I just got back from a round trip in and found the belly quite dirty and it needs cleaning. I also have blue fuel stains. Where do you get the wash and wax either heavy duty or regular.

Dick,

See http://www.washwaxall.com/http://www.washwaxall.com/.

Cheers,

Roger

I bought a cleaner from ZEP. I believe it was called Airplane Cleaner II. It is made for airplanes and will not damage aluminum. Just dilute it with water, then wash and rinse the airplane. Only bad thing is that they sell it in a 5-gallon bucket. Works great, exhaust residue comes off without scrubbing!

Stan New

It won’t damage aluminum but how about 'glass? MIKE#396

1 Like

I called the factory and they said if there were known issues with fiberglass they would post it on their web site. Below is info from their web site: www.zep.com. Their phone number is 877-428-9937.

ZEP AIRCRAFT CLEANER II
TYPE: Heavy-Duty Aircraft Cleaner PROD. #1056
BENEFITS: For use on both painted and unpainted exterior surfaces. Keeps aircraft surfaces looking new, reduces drag, retards pitting and other corrosion caused by surface contamination. Passes the requirements of Douglas CSD No. 1 and Boeing D6-17487, also meets military specifications Mil-C-25769J and Mil-C-87936A, Type 1. Will not cause cracking or crazing on stressed acrylic-based plastic used for aircraft windows. Will not cause corrosion of aircraft aluminum alloys. Will not attack cadmium plating or steel parts and fasteners. Will not fade, stain, soften or otherwise damage aircraft paints. Will not cause hydrogen emblittlement of high strength steels. Surface dries spot free. Biodegradable. Effective in all water types.

Stan New

I can’t speak for all fire departments, but none that I know of employ this practice.

Derek Rowan

Fire Chief

Greater Springfield Volunteer Fire Department

Fairfax County, VA

Fire departments have been using kerosene for years to keep their trucks shiny and bright. The closer you get to the exhaust the more difficult because of the heat factor.

Bob Mihocik

N762CD / SR22 #62

I will never forget uncle Antonio, he had a very nice 46 Ford, glossy Black, till today I have never seen a shiny black like his car. He washed it every week and he always used couple table spoons of Kerosene in his bucket of water. He used terrycloth and elbow greese. Even todays Limos do not look as good as his. May he rest in peace.

It works,

Woor

I use kerosene on a terrycloth towel to remove the oil and grime followed by soap and water to remove the kerosene. Fire departments have been using kerosene for years to keep their trucks shiny and bright. The closer you get to the exhaust the more difficult because of the heat factor.

Bob Mihocik

N762CD / SR22 #62