cirrus sr22 vibratons

I have test flown a SR22GT and felt what seemed to be an excessive vibration on the floor board. The only other plane I’ve flown is a 172 and the 172 does not have near the steady numbing vibration onmy feet. Is this unique to cirrus, or common among all high performance engines.
I thought the new 6 engine mounts on the Gt was supposed to elliminate alot of the vibrations.
Any comments???

In reply to:

I have test flown a SR22GT and felt what seemed to be an excessive vibration on the floor board. The only other plane I’ve flown is a 172 and the 172 does not have near the steady numbing vibration onmy feet. Is this unique to cirrus, or common among all high performance engines.
I thought the new 6 engine mounts on the Gt was supposed to elliminate alot of the vibrations.
Any comments???

If you search on the term “vibration” in the archives, you will find a large number of posts.

A few observations:

1. The engine in the SR22G2 is more than 50% larger than you have flown before.

2. The SR22G2 has the 6 point engine mount and should have less vibration than earlier 4 point engine mounts.

3. Prior threads on this issue show that there is a significant variation between aircraft as to vibration levels.

4. Quantifying vibration levels is difficult. Some have flown with industrial vibration meters to quantify the issue.

5. At lean of peak power settings, which you probably did not fly during a demo flight, vibration levels are determined largely on the balance between cylinders. Most aircraft require GAMI injectors to balance out the fuel flow so that the power from each cylinder is uniform.

6. Which headset were you using? In my aircraft, I don’t feel any low frequency vibration on the floor like you describe, but the higher frequency vibration without a headset on is definitely substantial.

7. The total noise from the engine is significantly higher in climb than in cruise, particularly at lower power percentages LOP.

8. Remember, it is 310 hp!

I guess I need to call my service center to get some vibrations installed, I seem to be missing mine… I have a Grumman and a Piper and the 22G is still the most vibration free of all three…

bc

In reply to:

1. The engine in the SR22G2 is more than 50% larger than you have flown before.
  2. Remember, it is 310 hp!

I don’t think that’s it. The Lancair Columbia 300s and 350s which share the same 310hp engine have no comparable airframe vibration, rich or lean of peak.

I have far less vibration in my SR22 than I have had in Cessna 172’s. I have not flown a Lancair so I have no ability to compare side by side. But I do know this is a customized issue that is only a problem on some planes and certainly not mine. There are hundreds more Cirrus airplanes than Lancairs which dictates the potential for more trouble noticed in Cirrus versus Lancair.

One area that is quite different between the two is the nosewheel. There are many folks with Cirri whose source of vibration turned out to be stemming from the nosewheel and is very correctable. The Lancair has a much different nosewheel.

In reply to:

The Lancair Columbia 300s and 350s which share the same 310hp engine have no comparable airframe vibration, rich or lean of peak.

Steve:

Again, I have not experienced vibration in my SR22, as many of the posts also indicate.

If the statement above is true, then get a Lancair. I gather you have flown the SR22 and the Lancair.

I have flown 3 SR22s at West Valley Flying Club, and they’re all a little different in this respect. One of them–a pre-PFD 2002 model, doubtless with the 4-point engine mount–seemed quite loud and had some noticeable but not intrusive vibration. One of the others was a Centennial Edition (platinum engine, 6-point mount) and it was much quieter and smoother, certainly the smoothest piston-powered ASEL I have flown (haven’t had the chance to try a Lancair 300 or 350). I’ll be trying out a G2 this weekend for an Angel Flight!

In reply to:

I guess I need to call my service center to get some vibrations installed, I seem to be missing mine…

William,

I only have a little vibration in my SR22, but would be happy to share in the spirit of the holiday season!

Walt

Gee, I donno… if I take you up on your gracious offer
is it the same a getting the Factory Warranted, Factory Installed Vibrations… would I need to get my POH updated?
(many Grins)…Bill C

I inquired about getting one installed in mine and was told it’s not available in Canada. Must be an American thing I guess. Was told that if I remove two of the six rubbers on the engine mount that I would get the same effect. Too expensive though. Heck, Cirrus won’t even give credit for the two returned rubbers. Imagin that. Some oldtimer here recommends just notching one blade. Told him I don’t think that’s a good idea because I like all three blades looking the same. Well then jus cut one a little shorter he says. Aw mister, have another scotch I tells him.

In reply to:

If the statement above is true, then get a Lancair.

Steve S.,

Too late! He already has one! I suppose using our terminology it’s an antique and a collector’s item – the last 300 made (before their production switched over to the 350).

Yeah, I know that some posters are sensitive to any mention of Lancair. Sorry about that. I just thought it would be helpful for troubleshooting to point out that the problem isn’t the engine.

In reply to:

Yeah, I know that some posters are sensitive to any mention of Lancair.

Steve,

please don’t take offence, we value your participation! And I’ve been treated very well in my occasional forays into the LOPA forums.

In reply to:

Yeah, I know that some posters are sensitive to any mention of Lancair. Sorry about that. I just thought it would be helpful for troubleshooting to point out that the problem isn’t the engine.

Steve,

I’ll this to Curt’s comment: Although I can’t recall that you and I have ever discussed anything on these forums, I have read all your posts (and everyone else’s [;)]). You contribute interesting and accurate info, and are always a gentleman. As Curt said… much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Mike.

Steve, very glad to have your insite from the other side of the composite fence. Lancair is what me what put me over the top on getting into flying. One of my friends has almost completed his propjet. Glad you have something besides a spam can.

I don’t cry every time I get into our can (T206).

I’m pink - therefore I’m spam.