5 People in Cirrus SR20 G6 Perspective +

My friends understand when to talk and when not to. They are very understanding on the rules of ATC and air. I would not take any others.

Alexis,

the SR20 G6 flies very well at gross weight. The problem is that the full power climb will let the CHTs rise very fast to 380F and above and so the climb rate gets limited by technical reasons, particularly if you think about California and Nevada. So I agree that I wouldn’t do it in the SR20 G6, but for other reasons.

And of course NEVER outside the CG envelope.

And never if you haven’t gotten a good training for handling characteristics of a fully loaded plane. Most student pilots - in any make and model - experience a forward cg in their flight instruction only, it’s just 2 people in the front seats most of the time. My advice to all pilots is - before you go out and stall an airplane with a rearward cg the first time, have an instructor with you who knows what he/she is doing.

Hi Timm,

i don‘t know how „well“ it flies at MTOM. But I know that i would not do that flight with 4 passengers in a 22.

But maybe that‘s just me. I like big margins.

It flies quite well indeed. I’m quite used to operate close to 3150 and it works well. It will take half an hour to get to 10,000 feet, but it gets there.

The thing is, it’s not unsafe per se. You just need to know what to expect. The surprise effect is what makes this dangerous.

Holding short for a box climb departure :slight_smile:

Renesh,

Let me start by saying it’s a great goal to want to fly a Cirrus. When I was in your shoes, I did much the same dreaming and planning. My first demo flight in a Cirrus sold me.

As Tony said, you’ll get access to a lot more information on the member side. At this point in the conversation, I will only urge you to get thorough transition training from a Cirrus Certified Instructor Pilot (CSIP) or at a Cirrus Training Center (CTC). You can find them on the Cirrus Aircraft website.

Cirrus Aircraft also has online training courses available on its website. Most courses are fee-based, but they are very well done, and will help prepare you for the transition training. One very important course is free: it covers the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (“CAPS”). CAPS may save your live.

If your plan (based on your posts) is to step out of a 172 and into a Cirrus (which I gather you haven’t flown much, if at all - I could not tell from your posts) based on only a couple of cross country trips with a CFI, you are underestimating. Safe flying requires managing and mitigating risk. Take your time, and do this the right way.

PS: I think you may find many more owners, and even some CSIPs willing to help you on the non-public facing member side.

Good luck, and fly safely.

Just to add to Mark’s post…

As a pilot, you will need to handle things that go wrong. Here are a few examples - all have happened to me.

An engine overheating on take off climb. A magneto failure. Spark plug failures. Fuel injector clogged. Roll trim motor failure. Loss of GPS. Oil on the windscreen. Violent engine shaking.

Yes you need to be able to handle all that and more. This. is. not. a. car.

I respectfully disagree.

It actually takes more skill to fly an SR20 than an SR22, especially coming out of Las Vegas in the summer. Power makes life easier, not more difficult.

There are quite a few accident threads - eg the ones where 22s have crashed on go-arounds - that would seem to suggest otherwise. One of the first things I learned moving into my 22 was to be very, very careful with the extra power.

Also the OP learned in 20s, not 22s. So I’m not sure how you could argue that he could just as easily jump into a 22.

Finally, isn’t the whole idea behind a High Performance Endorsement that it’s harder to fly these planes? If not, why the endorsement?

I understand the density altitude / lack of power argument, but it’s misleading and incorrect to suggest he wouldn’t need extra training to fly a 22

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement although I am fundamentally oppositional defiant, thus I disagree with almost everything, but on this thing I would substitute the word “skill” for the word “courage”. And I don’t ordinarily give advice, but on the flight being discussed . . . well, 5 people in an SR20 at an above sea level field with warm air temps is just plane NUTS. [sp intentional]

1335832900162_1139631.png

These are the only 5 people I’d do that flight with…

DA4E772F-9D9A-42E9-97BF-BAD726504CB5.jpeg

To say that certain FARs are obsolete would be an understatement.

Where did I make such a statement? Or even suggest it? Any pilot transitioning from an SR20 to an SR22 absolutely needs extra training. The same is true in reverse.

I said he’d be uncomfortable in a 22 or at least should be, and you said you disagree - that the 20 is harder to fly (below).

If you didn’t mean he doesn’t need extra training for a 22, what did you mean?

I must be missing something, because to suggest it is “obsolete” to require an additional endorsement for a plane with more than 200 HP, and on a thread written by a student pilot looking for advice, seems very irresponsible to me.

I meant that with the extra transition training, he should be within his comfort level.

Okay. I will still respectfully disagree. This is a student, presumably with low hours, who wants to take a few friends through high terrain and high DAs. I can’t recommend the trip at all but less so in a high performance plane that has more than 50% more power than he trained in. Just my opinion.

Did you transition from an SR20 to a 22? For me that was 15 years ago, but as I remember it the differences were very minor for flatland flying. For mountain flying, I would agree with Scott that with the transition training the differences of the 22 vs. 20 would tend to make flying easier rather than more challenging.

Did you have something specific in mind that would be more challenging with 50% more power?

I transitioned from Pipers.

The extra power makes go-arounds (and even regular take offs) difficult if you’re new to it. I think that’s been we’ll documented in COPA with accident threads.

The transition training is a moot point since, of course. He can also take a 737 is he does enough training for it.

If you read the thread, Scott’s original point was unclear but seemed to imply there should be no reason not to rent the 22, even though Scott “meant” with transition training. Well, sure.

Perhaps we can agree that this trip in a 20 OR a 22 would be equally unwise. [:D]

That is a good point. It does get covered in the High Perf endorsement and transition training. The “transition training” for 20 pilots moving up to the 22 is not very significant. At least it wasn’t back when I did it.

Yes. Agreed.