SR20 Useful Load

As I come close to my SR20 delivery, I have started looking closer at the usesful load capabilities. This has entailed looking at the CG tables in the POH, as well as phoning an “in the know” individual at Cirrus.

My conversations with the individual at Cirrus lead me to believe that they are very optimistic about getting a 100 pound increase in total weight (taking it up to 3000 pounds)certified in late spring.

Looking at the going rate of 2050 “bare”, adding stormscope, 3blade, C configuration, and leather, it brings it up to the 2100 pound range. This is close to the 2100-2117 pound level that has been reported on this great web site.

Taking the 2117 pound / 296069 moment example of one recent production airplane, it brings up some important issues, I think. First, the useful load full fuel is 447 pounds without the max weight increase, and 547 with it. Looking at the 447, it appears to be even less that that, because I think that if you put heavy people up front (200 pound pilot, 225 pound co-pilot, for example), you have a CG problem that has to be remedied by putting weight in the back. This, of course, further reduces the useful load.

The max weight increase will be a huge help, not only because of the weight increase, but also because using all that weight would presumably be taken by baggage or a rear seat passenger, either of which addresses the CG issue. On the other hand, if the max weight is not increased, carrying two big people in the front can be a problem, as it appears to me.

Anyone else have any experience in dealing with this issue? Am I correct in my computations? What are the experienced current owners doing about this.

I’d very much appreciate any input. Also, I’ve done what I think is a pretty useful Excel spreadsheet that helps analyze this, and would be happy to send to anyone interested via a return to e-mail.

As I come close to my SR20 delivery, I have started looking closer at the usesful load capabilities. This has entailed looking at the CG tables in the POH, as well as phoning an “in the know” individual at Cirrus.

My conversations with the individual at Cirrus lead me to believe that they are very optimistic about getting a 100 pound increase in total weight (taking it up to 3000 pounds)certified in late spring.

Looking at the going rate of 2050 “bare”, adding stormscope, 3blade, C configuration, and leather, it brings it up to the 2100 pound range. This is close to the 2100-2117 pound level that has been reported on this great web site.

Taking the 2117 pound / 296069 moment example of one recent production airplane, it brings up some important issues, I think. First, the useful load full fuel is 447 pounds without the max weight increase, and 547 with it. Looking at the 447, it appears to be even less that that, because I think that if you put heavy people up front (200 pound pilot, 225 pound co-pilot, for example), you have a CG problem that has to be remedied by putting weight in the back. This, of course, further reduces the useful load.

The max weight increase will be a huge help, not only because of the weight increase, but also because using all that weight would presumably be taken by baggage or a rear seat passenger, either of which addresses the CG issue. On the other hand, if the max weight is not increased, carrying two big people in the front can be a problem, as it appears to me.

Anyone else have any experience in dealing with this issue? Am I correct in my computations? What are the experienced current owners doing about this.

I’d very much appreciate any input. Also, I’ve done what I think is a pretty useful Excel spreadsheet that helps analyze this, and would be happy to send to anyone interested via a return to e-mail.
I would be very much interested in the spreadsheet! Thanks.

if the max weight is not increased, carrying two big people in the front can be a problem, as it appears to me.
I am told that the gross weight increase will also include an expansion of the CG envelope. I can also tell you that the forward CG limit is currently quite conservative.
OTOH, if you have 455 lbs in the two front seats, maybe a gross weight reduction program is needed :slight_smile:

Hi Andy,

FWIW my C model + leather + stormscope + 3 blade empty wt is 2093lbs.

Appreciate the XL sheet by mail! Thanks.

Han

My son who is a computer wizard and student pilot came up with an Airplane Weight & Balance Software. If you know the exact numbers, this program would be useful – especially for current Cirrus owners. You can read about the program at http://www.safestyle.com/cg.htm

It is specifically tailored to your airplane. You supply the data for your airplane – the weight and balance specifications from your airplane’s POH – and he will customize the software specifically for your airplane. No two programs are alike! The Weight & Balance Calculator will take any various weight configurations and will find the center of gravity, the total weight, and total moment. It is tailored specifically to your airplane! It already has all your arms and empty weight programmed in. You just enter the weight and presto! The calculation is instantaneous! It will allow you to easily and quickly find your optimum configuration. Then, print a weight and balance report to meet FAA requirements.

Andy,

I will be placing my order for an SR 20 next week!

Would appreciate the spread sheet you discussed.

Thanks

Clark