Looking to Purchase SR22

Hello. I’ve been reading some of your posts regarding the SR22. I’m a 250hr IFR pilot. I’ve been moving up the ladder. Owned a 172sp and currently own a Fixed gear Piper Saratoga with a friend. We are looking to part ways and I’m looking for a new plane. I’m 5’10 & 290lbs. I usually travel with only my wife; however, our 6’3 260lb son travels with us some times. I need a payload of 750lbs. No problem in the Saratoga as I have a 1400lb useful load. I’ve narrowed the search to the Bonanza and the SR22. It will probably be a G3. I currently have a glass panel in my Saratoga so avionics should be similar. Any thoughts?

Hi Paul, I’m a broker with Aerista, but flew for Cirrus for 23 years. We should be able to find a G3 without AC and TKS that would have a useful load around 1,000 lbs.

1 Like

Have you all sat in a Cirrus together? Suggest that that’s the first step.

Suggest that comparing a Cirrus to a Bonanza is comparing a sports car to a sports SUV. It’s more than just useful load. There are other ergonomic factors to consider.

I went from an SR22 to an P210 and there is just no comparison. (That’s going from a 911 to an Escolade in my mind…)

I’m not saying that one is better than the other (I loved my Cirrus and I love my 210), but they are very different platforms.

I’ve flown one for a couple of hours at a cirrus center. We will sit inside one. We all fit in the bonanza; however, there is more room in the Cirrus. May I ask why you went to the 210?

Most G3 SR22s have payload in the low 900 lbs. That means you will have less than 200 lbs. of fuel. Think about your mission, and how many fuel stops you will have to make.

The G5s have greater payload available, typically more than 1,100 lbs.

In no particular order (since all were major factors): Useful load and interior space; high-wing (easier access for older passengers); pressurization; air conditioning.

The NA SR22 is faster and way more fuel efficient in the lower altitudes. It climbs better and makes better use of the horsepower. There’s just no debate there.

However, being able to cruise in the upper teens (once I get there) with a cabin altitude in the 6 - 7000’ with no cannulas/masks in quiet (the P210 is MUCH quieter), air conditioned comfort is a game changer.

I do miss the chute - however with appropriate ADM, planning, maintenance, training and currency, I believe that I have mitigated the risk.

I believe that the airframe and avionics that I purchased are “a keeper”, and i may do a IO550 conversion at some point down the road.