2005 U.S. Customs Decal

For those owners who have any interest in flying out of the U.S. and returning, I received an email from the U.S Customs Service with instruction to obtain or renew your decal. The price is $25 & it really looks cool on your airplanes! (Actually, I don’t like the look of it and hide it in the door jam, centered right above the pilots side wing, so that it is visible when the pilot’s door is open, and only when it is open.

Unfortunately, due to changes in the site, even registered users must reregister.

Here is the text of the email. I have made the links ‘clickable’:

In reply to:

2005 Customs and Border Protection decals are now available!!!

The fastest way to purchase 2005 decals is through the Internet. We are updating our site, so ALL decal internet users MUST RE-REGISTER.

Just go to http://www.cbp.gov, select the “Travel” tab, then select “User Fee Decal Program”, and finally the “Apply Online for Decal” link in the right margin. Select the “Sign-Up! I Have My Account Number” link, enter your 20-digit Account Number, and register yourself for on-line decal purchases. (If you do not remember your Account Number, you will find it on the postcard that will be arriving soon. It is located on the front of the postcard above your name. You can also place a call to the Customs and Border Protection decal inquiry line at the number below.) You will create your own User ID and Password to access the site. For your future reference, please write down the User ID and Password you have created. You will need them to access your account for future transactions.

The User Fee cost for 2005 has not increased. The cost is $25.00 per decal.

Once you have submitted your on-line application, you will be notified immediately that we received your decal information and credit card or ACH payment. It is important to note that secure on-line credit card and ACH (electronic bank transfer) transactions make decal purchases fast and safe.

For questions about purchasing your 2005 Custom and Border Protection decals on-line, send an e-mail to decals@dhs.gov or call (317) 298-1245, between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm EST.

Actually, I don’t like the look of it and hide it in the door jam, centered right above the pilots side wing, so that it is visible when the pilot’s door is open, and only when it is open.<<<

Uh…I thought those stickers had explicit instructions that they must be mounted on the passenger side, rear window, in clear view of a customs official standing behind the right wing…did you check the mounting instructions?

In reply to:

Uh…I thought those stickers had explicit instructions that they must be mounted on the passenger side, rear window, in clear view of a customs official standing behind the right wing…did you check the mounting instructions?

From the US Customs Guide for Private Flyers:
Once received, the decal must be placed on the outside of the conveyance, within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors or hatches are open.
Marty’s location satisfies this requirement. (We use a similar mounting method and have never had a complaint from Customs officials.) What does it say on the sticker?
One wonders why the customs official would want to stand behind the right wing if the pilot — who may be the only occupant — is on the left side.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

Actually, I don’t like the look of it and hide it in the door jam, centered right above the pilots side wing, so that it is visible when the pilot’s door is open, and only when it is open.<<<

In FL, where I have done most, er, all of my returning to the U.S. from overseas, they want the sticker on or near the pilot’s door on the typical GA airplane. If there is only one door as on a jet or many Pipers, then the issue is obviously solved. If there is a choice, they want the Pilot’s door.

Other Customs offices may have differing interpretations, but I have cleared this location through at least three different customs offices (in FL) and they have no problem with it being on the pilot’s door and or only visible when the door is open. the key is tht they can see it easily as they approach the aircraft. I also always park with the pilot’s door facing the Customs facility, if wind permits.

In reply to:

Once received, the decal must be placed on the outside of the conveyance, within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors or hatches are open. Marty’s location [in the door jam] satisfies this requirement.

I disagree. I think the wording is plain: It must be on the “outside of the conveyance.” Though not by much, a door jam is on the inside. The part about “within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, etc.” simply limits where on the outside (i.e., close to the door but not blocked by it).

That said, I agree that it’s unlikely an inspector would care.

I see we are having another heated debate, where’s Dr. Dobson to interject his comments?

Well, we pilots are anal-retentive by nature!

But…that does explain WHY I thought it had to be on the passenger side of the plane: I drive an old Piper Warrior, which of course has only one boarding area, the passenger side door. That’s why my sticker ended up on that side of the plane…

In reply to:

Well, we pilots are anal-retentive by nature!
But…that does explain WHY I thought it had to be on the passenger side of the plane: I drive an old Piper Warrior, which of course has only one boarding area, the passenger side door. That’s why my sticker ended up on that side of the plane…

Dave,
Ah-HA! Thanks for clarifying — that does make sense.
Joe M. makes a good point about inside versus outside — but if the door is open, there’s no topological distinction between inside and outside. I’m assuming that as for all other Customs regulations, this one was written by a Ph. D. in mathematics whose thesis was on topology… [;)]

Cheers,
Roger

Roger,

I’ll see your Kline Bottle and raise you two…

[:)]
1-109629-3botsclaserlqm.jpg

And following Marty’s lead, I enquired in San Diego about placing my decal on the inside of the baggage door, which I routinely open prior to inspection. They opined that they just want to verify that you have a current decal and occasionally to check the number with your form. They were more interested in our making their inspections easier – probably so they could decide how much inspecting to do. My theory is more cooperation and authentic politeness gets me more routine treatment. True so far. (I probably just broke my string of good luck by saying that!)

Cheers
Rick

In reply to:

In FL, where I have done most, er, all of my returning to the U.S. from overseas, they want the sticker on or near the pilot’s door on the typical GA airplane. If there is only one door as on a jet or many Pipers, then the issue is obviously solved. If there is a choice, they want the Pilot’s door.
Other Customs offices may have differing interpretations, but I have cleared this location through at least three different customs offices (in FL) and they have no problem with it being on the pilot’s door and or only visible when the door is open. the key is tht they can see it easily as they approach the aircraft. I also always park with the pilot’s door facing the Customs facility, if wind permits.

I too have had no problem with decal placement. On my first Cirrus I place it back next to the data plate … nowhere near the door ( hey, appearance is important to shallow people like me ) and now I have it on the door jam - which is visable only when I open my door. One inspector indicated that he doesn’t care where it is placed, and that the funds from those decals offset the overtime pay they receive when we arrive after hours…

Marty,

Sounds like a party to me! I’ll bring the topologically equivalent coffee and donuts.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

And following Marty’s lead, I enquired in San Diego about placing my decal on the inside of the baggage door, which I routinely open prior to inspection. They opined that they just want to verify that you have a current decal and occasionally to check the number with your form. They were more interested in our making their inspections easier – probably so they could decide how much inspecting to do. My theory is more cooperation and authentic politeness gets me more routine treatment. True so far. (I probably just broke my string of good luck by saying that!)
Cheers
Rick

Always a good practice. Even IF they are supposed to work for us, being nice is always the best way to start. When I get my plane back, I’ll post a photo of my location. It meets the letter of the law and makes it very easy for the inspectors to see it. No need to agravate them before they even start their inspections.