03 or 04 SR 22

I’m in the process of finding an 03 or 04 SR 22 to buy. I’m relatively new to the Cirrus line and don’t know the exact differences in equipment level or advantages of either year (6 point engine mount etc). Any help out there? My budget is up to 340000. I do want PFD and TKS

The biggest difference will be that the '04 will be the G2 fuselage with the push-button doors, access panel, and 5 more knots. There may have been early '04 models that were pre-G2, but I don’t think so. After 06/03 all Cirri had PFDs. Prior to that, the PFD may have been an option on the '22.

Jim Knollenberg (currently planeless)

I wouldn’t rule out an '03 model, before the G2. The G2 has the automobile-type doors, but they are more likely to open in flight. The G1 doors, once closed, will not open in flight.

I wouldn’t be too excited about the claimed five knot speed improvement. On some, yes; others, no.

The key is what is the maintenance history. If you find a well-maintained G1, that has had all the mandatory SB’s performed, it doesn’t have a history of connector/probe issues, and that’s clean, I’d go for that one before I’d choose a a G2 with several probe changes, not particularly well kept-up by the owner (i.e., interior is sort of dirty, Avidyne screens aren’t clean, etc.)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a G1. There aren’t “major improvements” in the G2. I certainly wouldn’t even think about trading my trouble free, PFD-equipped G1 for a new G2 with an unproven maintenance history.

Maybe choose a G1 and keep the $30K difference in your pocket?

In reply to:

I’m in the process of finding an 03 or 04 SR 22 to buy. I’m relatively new to the Cirrus line and don’t know the exact differences in equipment level or advantages of either year (6 point engine mount etc). Any help out there? My budget is up to 340000. I do want PFD and TKS

I would go with a 2003 Cent model. It is fully loaded plat engine 6 point mount and the last run before the g2 doors.

In reply to:

I have an 04 G2 that will fit with in your budget… plane is completely loaded with excellent records.

New Turbo arrives next week

if interested give me a call 502-639-9224

like Jim has stated, there were substantial changes made when moving to the G2 line some of which can make quite a difference in maintenance costs going forward. at your budget level you should easily find a loaded 2004 G2. good luck in your search