Warped Dash

There was discussion some time back about new material for the dashboard. Mine has been completely melted for about a month and Cirrus keeps telling my repair station two weeks for a new one.

Has anyone received a relacement? Has this been a problem for everyone in 90 deg. F temperatures?

Mark

There was discussion some time back about new material for the dashboard. Mine has been completely melted for about a month and Cirrus keeps telling my repair station two weeks for a new one.

Has anyone received a relacement? Has this been a problem for everyone in 90 deg. F temperatures?

Mark

Mark,

I have finally received a replacement; I think they are only able to produce a small number of them at a time – I got at the end of the line a while ago. Also I raised a stink about it because it was my “Cirrus Authorized Service Center” who left the plane out and caused the glareshield to melt (even though I put the cabin cover on when I dropped the plane off, they put it outside uncovered), so they may have been able to apply some extra pull to get it faster.

Steve

Mark

Mark: I just received a replacement for SR-20 #1071. My repair shop has not installed it yet, but I have been on the replacement list for some time. I know they are sending them out.

Steve N1645S

Ditto Steve Schultheis’ post. Mine has just been installed - I haven’t seen it yet. The shop did comment that it was tough to get the forward edge to fit properly under the strip of plastic that has has the windshield defrost holes, so they put it on top. They said it looks great - better than below. If my opinion differs after I see it, I’ll post.

Mike.

Ditto Steve Schultheis’ post. Mine has just been installed - I haven’t seen it yet. The shop did comment that it was tough to get the forward edge to fit properly under the strip of plastic that has has the windshield defrost holes, so they put it on top. They said it looks great - better than below. If my opinion differs after I see it, I’ll post.

Mike.

Mike,

I spent some hands-on time with the guy installing the new glareshield, and we both agreed that it does not look as though the new glareshield fits under that plastic strip with the defrost holes.

Neither of us could remember whether the original glareshield was on top of or underneath that plastic strip (we had already removed the glareshield by this time), so we just installed it on top of that strip. It doesn’t block the defrost holes, so it looks like it’ll work okay.

Was the original one actually underneath that strip? (didn’t seem like there was enough room under there to insert the edge of the glareshield).

Thanks

Steve

Mike.

Follow-up: Have now seen the new glareshield, and it does indeed look great.

Mike.

Neither of us could remember whether the original glareshield was on top of or underneath that plastic …

Was the original one actually underneath that strip? (didn’t seem like there was enough room under there to insert the edge of the glareshield).

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Saw your post, and remembered that I need to touch base with my shop anyway. Called and asked about the how the glare shield was originally installed. They couldn’t remember either, but while we were talking, an SR22 was being rolled into the shop. He put me on hold and took a look; came back and said that the glare shield is intalled above the defrost strip in Duluth.

So now I know, you know, and so does everyone else! :slight_smile:

Mike.

[Gotta love the technology that lets us do this…]