Want to by SR 20

Dear Sirs,
I have a 1981 Cessna 172RG and I´m very interested for the SR20.I heard that the plane is"underpower".I´d like to know for the owners what they think about that and what is the True AirSpeed, Indicated, Vs, fuel burn, and if you are happy with the plane!
Thank you for the informations!
Tony Milani
São Paulo-S.P. Brazil
pilot@osite.com.br

In reply to:

I´m very interested for the SR20.I heard that the plane is"underpower".

I’ll let the SR20 drivers answer for their performance.

In terms of cruise speeds, I think you’ll find the SR20 has plenty of power, especially the newer G2’s with their improved aerodynamics.

But the SR20 does have one of the lowest power:weight ratios of any aircraft in the GA fleet. It has 200HP to lift 3000 pounds (1360kg). I think you will find that is less power to weight than your 172RG has. This doesn’t impair its cruise speeds due to its exceptionally low drag. But it is a factor in climb performance, especially in high density-altitude environments. The SR20 is relatively unforgiving of improper take-off or go-around technique.

I bought my 2000 model SR20 May of 04 and I love it. Best speed I have acheived is 152 Kt TAS. Since learning to go lean of peak by use of the “big pull” I get results like this:
4500 MSL, WOT, 2650 rpm, 25"MP, 9.5 GPH, 1360 EGT, 260 CHT, OAT 22C TAS 142kt.
For my missions of 150 - 400 NM the SR20 is ideal, especially in light of today’s fuel prices.
The step up for me would be the SR22, mainly to get increased payload.
Hope this helps.
Gaynor Blake

its really important that u get the 2 blade.

Sir, I have an early SR-20 which I love. However, this airplane is basically used by two people at sea level. I have carried four people, had full fuel, lots of luggage but never all three at the same time. It takes careful planning and the ability to wait for better conditions to fly the SR20. If you will be operating at higher elevation and would like the ability to load and go at will then the SR22 might be a better, i.e. safer fit. I could not justify the cost when I had the offer of upgrading my position to a SR22. Someday when I hit the lottery I will upgrade but my medical will probably give out first.

In reply to:

I have an early SR-20 which I love. However, this airplane is basically used by two people at sea level. I have carried four people, had full fuel, lots of luggage but never all three at the same time. It takes careful planning and the ability to wait for better conditions to fly the SR20. If you will be operating at higher elevation and would like the ability to load and go at will then the SR22 might be a better, i.e. safer fit. I could not justify the cost when I had the offer of upgrading my position to a SR22.

Just as another data point, my experience is the same here, in every detail. Love the plane; use it mainly for flatland travel with 1 -2 people; would try to afford an SR22 if I were in the mountain west but otherwise can’t personally justify the cost difference. You’ll be happy with whatever you get.

In reply to:

Dear Mr. Mario,
Could you tell me the difference about the two or three blades on the SR20. Have you fly both??
Thank you!
Tony

In reply to:

Why? I could see why SOME would feel it would be preferred – I wouldn’t – but why the blanket statement that it is “really important?” Anyone have a feel for how many SR20s are sold with 2 vs. 3-blade? Almost all the ones I see are the 3s.

Jim Knollenberg SR20 1281 N814

In reply to:

Just as another data point, my experience is the same here, in every detail. Love the plane; use it mainly for flatland travel with 1 -2 people; would try to afford an SR22 if I were in the mountain west but otherwise can’t personally justify the cost difference. You’ll be happy with whatever you get.

And, in case anyone’s not convinced of the popularity of this view: I owned an SR20 and used it mainly for flatland travel for 1-3 people; for almost 1,000 hours over almost three years. It was the best “mission fit” airplane I’ve owned.

I moved to the desert southwest (Las Vegas), where I deal with high density altitudes and must fly in the teens to stay above the mountains. I sold my SR20 and bought an SR22. After I installed O2, this airplane is the best “mission fit” airplane I’ve owned!

• Mike.

impt bec

W&B
CG

In reply to:

Dear Mr. Mario,
Could you tell me the difference about the two or three blades on the SR20. Have you fly both??
Thank you!
Tony

Tony,
I’m not Mario, but I have about 1,000 hours in SR20s, mostly in my own, behind a 3-blade propeller; but I’ve also flown 2-blade SR20s.
In terms of performance, I could not detect any significant difference. The 3-blade MAY be slightly quieter (probably is, because of physics… but it’s really not noticeable). Beyond that, the 3-blade costs more to buy, to maintain, and to carry (it weighs more).
However, most would agree that the 3-blade simply looks sexier on the ramp. (No difference in looks when it’s flying, of course).

So… like all things in aviation, its appeal is in the eye of the beholder. If I had two identical airplanes to choose from, at the same price, but one has three-blade and one has two-blade, I’d personally still buy the 3-blade. But, if it costs more… I’d be happy with two blades.

• Mike.

In reply to:

Tony,
I’m not Mario, but I have about 1,000 hours in SR20s, mostly in my own, behind a 3-blade propeller; but I’ve also flown 2-blade SR20s.
In terms of performance, I could not detect any significant difference. The 3-blade MAY be slightly quieter (probably is, because of physics… but it’s really not noticeable). Beyond that, the 3-blade costs more to buy, to maintain, and to carry (it weighs more).
However, most would agree that the 3-blade simply looks sexier on the ramp. (No difference in looks when it’s flying, of course).
So… like all things in aviation, its appeal is in the eye of the beholder. If I had two identical airplanes to choose from, at the same price, but one has three-blade and one has two-blade, I’d personally still buy the 3-blade. But, if it costs more… I’d be happy with two blades.

• Mike.

Tony,

Mike is right on. I have a SR20 and 2 - blade prop and have no regrets. It is cheaper, same performance, saves 25 lbs for something else to carry, and expect lower maintenance (2 blades vs three blades). Either way you will be very satisfied.

Emil