New Owner

I am new to the site and in the midst of deciding between a new SR-20 & SR-22 and what a difficult decision it is. The SR-20 most likely will fulfill most of my needs but the extra speed is difficult to pass up.

I am wondering if anyone could help point out what other major advantages they see between these two which may help me justify the difference in their price.

I will mostly be operating in my own state as well as my neighboring midwestern states. I do not anticipate a lot of long cross country runs but in the future would like to do some leisure travel out west.

I appreciate and welcome everyones input.

Jim

Jim,

In reply to:

would like to do some leisure travel out west

Then consider the SR22’s much better climb rate…

In reply to:

…but the extra speed is difficult to pass up.

I’d say if it was JUST the speed I could manage to pass it up for the savings. At 170k LOP (typically) I’m maybe 15k faster than an SR20 - not that significant on my typical 600 mile trip.

But the ability to climb at 1,000 fpm (initially) to top weather and to get to the mid-high teens rapidly to top weather/terrain or to take advantage of winds is a HUGE advantage to me.

Jim:

I am not sure where your homestate is since your profile is blank but I gather you are in the midwest somewhere.

I may not speak for the majority here, but I choose the SR22 more for rate of climb and high altitude performance than just speed.

In fact, many SR22 owners give up a few knots and operate LOP for extended range and generous fuel reserve instead of ROP operation.

There is something to be said for an 81 gallon fuel capacity and 12.5 gph consumption at 173 knots. This consumption rate at cruise is not that much more than a SR20.

Now, I got a discount on the SR22 since I ordered my SR20 before there was a SR22. I am not sure whether there is really anything that will justify the difference in cost.

I do know that most of the aircraft here in the west are SR22s, because of the rockies. I have been over them on various routes. You can cross them in the SR20, but your selection of routes will be more limited.

The overwhelming majority of aircraft delivered are SR22s. I don’t know the specifics, but I would wager that a large number of them are operated over generally flat land most or all of the time. Maybe it is that speed thing after all!

If you can afford the difference then the 22 is a no brainer. I think this decision is money driven only. If you can spend the extra cash then why wouldn’t you want more speed and better climb. I live in Salt Lake City and trained at first in a 20 and in the hot summer days we would get the stall horn climbing out at 300-500 fpm! That’s why I bought the 22.

Have you flown the Lancair Columbia? I rep your area for them.
If you would like any information I would be happy to send it out.
If your happy with going the SR22 direction then best of luck.

Frank

In reply to:

I am new to the site and in the midst of deciding between a new SR-20 & SR-22 and what a difficult decision it is. The SR-20 most likely will fulfill most of my needs but the extra speed is difficult to pass up.
I am wondering if anyone could help point out what other major advantages they see between these two which may help me justify the difference in their price.
I will mostly be operating in my own state as well as my neighboring midwestern states. I do not anticipate a lot of long cross country runs but in the future would like to do some leisure travel out west.
Jim

I do not own an SR-20 nor an SR-22, but I had the unique opportunity to demo the two airplanes within an hour of each other. I rent the 22 often now.

The 22 is undeniably the better performer, the extra money is worth it (if you have it, that is).

The 20 is solid as well. I like the fact that you have exactly the same avionics, and the cabin noise is significantly lower. I don’t think you’ll be giving anything up on approaches. Cruise speed is very decent. You will miss out on the performance of the 22 on takeoff. There is no comparison.

In reply to:

Jim

I’ve got 85 hours on my SR 22G2 since October 7th. Before the Cirrus I had a piper arrow which is a 200 hp retract. I would consider a 200 hp plane a big step up from the 152 or 172’s that most of us learned on, and the 310 hp another step up, but not as big a step. The 20 would be great, in my opinion, if you are a low time pilot, and if this is your first plane. I love the extra horsepower, mostly for the shorter distance in takeoff, and the climb. You really notice how fast the 22 is when you do touch and go’s in the pattern; no sooner do you say Cirrus 18GF turning downwind, runway 26 las cruces, then you have to say Cirrus 18GF turning base runway 26 las cruces. Plus, with a 30 knot tailwind, at full power, you scream across the ground at about 250 mph. Everytime you get a new controller, they say November 18GF, say again aircraft type?
So my vote for your plane depends on your experience, as much as your wallet.

I opted for the SR22 because I live out West. To be perfectly honest the SR20 on paper was probably the better choice in terms of progression. I made the commitment that I am going to spend the extra time transitioning above and beyond what is normally required. I am essentially going to recreate my private pilot training in the SR22 before I pick up my plane in March and then for the next month am doing more training with my local CSIP. Then I have the guys from Flight Academy scheduled for more advanced training.

I agree to all of the above

In reply to:

You can cross them in the SR20, but your selection of routes will be more limited.

And your margin of safety will be much lower. Errors of technique in takeoff or go-around are potentially catastrophic at density altitude in an SR20, whereas an SR22 will power through it. Unfortunately the accident record bears this out.

I want to thank everyone for their input. The difference in climb rates are significant and with some density altitude issues I may face it seems the SR-22 may be the wiser long-term choice.

Thanks again for the great advise!

Jim

while the columbia is a fine plane, this is a Cirrus Owners website and PRIVATE. while we do allow freedom of choice, i believe most owners would rather you refrain from selling other planes on our site or 2) do it discretely through a private message.